Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tuukka
  • 1 Post By rossi.45

Thread: full barrel suppressor

full barrel suppressor

not long purchased a savage stainless 308 fitted with mae full barrel suppressor.The barrel has light pitting in a couple of spots ,I presume from lack of maintainance as I believe the hot gases are vented back over the barrel.Should I be coating the barrel in grease or something to protect barrel and what are you guys opinions of this system of suppressing
    cheers.

The overbarrel system is good in that it minimises the length added out the front with the expansion section to the rear compared to muzzle forward ones. The barrel is isolated from the combustion gasses but if moisture gets in the barrel could rust, this is one reason I believe supressor mnfs recommend removing them after use.
    Just saw that its "stainless" barrel grade stainless (416 mostly) is less prone to corrosion than blued steel but it will still do so if subjected to moisture and air for prolonged periods especially if in contact with other metals.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 18-08-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Gun works gave me a tube of grease with mine.

if it comes off without issue just take it off and clean when you return from hunt as you would anything else...come on Chrispy....you already got told that LMFAO.
    Hurry up and get it sighted in so we can go kill some wobblies Mate.

Barrel is not isolated from the gases - clean it, fire one shot and have a look at the shit build up.
    When I had mine, I covered the barrel with a thin film of vaseline (as suggested by MAE). This protected the barrel and made cleaning it easy.

How light and small the best muzzle mounted, muzzle forward type or back over the barrel telescopic suppressors have been for a many years now, the need / worth of integrally suppressed barrels has mostly gone away.

As such, they can come with issues like the maintenance aspects.

Even for specialized MIL/E roles, where they have sometimes been used, you can get 13-16" regular barreled rifles with a removable suppressor and have a great package.

Good example is this Sako M10 with a 16" barrel and our jet-Z COMPACT suppressor:

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors
    Feather or Shoot and WallyR like this.

why protect the outside of the barrel under the suppressor . . . ya cant see it, if its got carbon or something on it who cares ( within reason ) the inside is the only important bit
    Micky Duck likes this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !