Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: This full wood thing

This full wood thing

Name:  DSC02450.JPG
Views: 627
Size:  734.5 KB
    What was the original intention of fully wooding rifles? I would have thought that in the heat of battle that an insulated barrel would heat up hotter and quicker and take longer to cool down , to say nothing of the extra weight , and , unless finely tuned/bedded did little for accuracy , and add to the cost of manufacture.......... so why did they ( and they all did ) do it . I can understand a custom , fine quality rifle being fully wooded for aesthetic reasons but not a battle rifle.
    dogmatix and steven like this.
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

It was to avoid burning ones hands I believe.
    steven and Sasquatch like this.

Well yeah , possibly . When I was in basic training ( GSTS RNZAF Woodburn R4 80 ) one day at the range with the FN slr , after empting a couple of 20 rnd mags we were instructed ( for no good reason other than some NCO's amusement ) to stand at attention and , being 6 foot my ( and others ) hands would not reach far enough down the rifle to grip the fore wood and I sizzled my fingers , but that alone doesn't seem like a good enough reason , I mean I can hardly see a flight being called to attention in the middle of a battle ( hot barrels ) ,and anyhow if it was , standing 6 foot tall in the middle of a gun fight you'd probly be a bit busy watching for bullets heading your way to be worried about your fingers burning, ( would you get a purple heart for that )
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

Pretty sure it was the heat thing, even modern military rifles have hand guards longer than what is absolutely necessary.
    It's not hard to imagine how hot some of the barrels would have gotten, my 223 heats up quickly with pretty low amounts of shooting, so imagine 50 rounds of .303 down a lee enfields paper thin barrel.

The other thing to note is that a lot of the rifles that were used in WW2 were the same or very similar to that which was used in WW1 or even in the late 1800s.
    The rifle was used just as much as a staby hitting weapon in those days as it was a rifle. The added weight and hand hold would have been a great help for bayonet use and protection from the hot barrel would've been very important.

You really need a SMLE in your collection, I think they are the nicest looking of that era guns.
    Is the top one a K98?
    veitnamcam, Pointer and JRW87 like this.

needs a finish mosin, russian mosin, Japanese Arisaka and a Springfield 1903

nice collection

it would also add a bit of stability to a very hot barrel and semi stop it flexing.

I remember reading that the top brass were reluctant to allow snipers in WW1 particulary canadians with their ross? rifles if I recall correctly to remove the front woods as they were worried about them burning their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Is the top one a K98?
    Its a 1908 Brazilian Mauser , made in DMW
    steven likes this.

You are missing a few- The full wooded Mosin Nagants, Swedish M96, 30 cal carbine (M1?) and the K98 mentioned that is not there....

Nice wee start to a collection.....

I understand it was a strength issue, easier to grip whilst using the bayonet. Same goes with brass butt plates. All the better to smash you with my dear!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I understand it was a strength issue, easier to grip whilst using the bayonet. Same goes with brass butt plates. All the better to smash you with my dear!
    Definitely the case with the brass or steel butt plates, as it would be too difficult to hurt someone with a rubber recoil pad.

Mostly to keep hands from being burned, somewhere to mount a bayonet and most Enfields (and Mausers?) needed an upward pressure at the end of the barrel to shoot by dampening the vibrations. The No1 mk3 for instance has such a thin barrel and flexy receiver that it had to have a complex bedding and dampening arrangement, most of that pain could be eliminated with a H barrel. No4 was similar in end result when the l39/L42 came along heavier and hence fully floating barrel. I must admit reading the history of Enfields I wonder why they didnt fix this by the 1930s, almost a "not invented here attitude"
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Its a 1908 Brazilian Mauser , made in DMW
    Ah a 7mm? looking very good, I am looking for one.

@hamsav what is the scoped one? mk1/2? 1/3? mk2?

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Ah a 7mm? looking very good, I am looking for one.
    yes , a 7x57 mauser , no rust or marks other than a few handling marks but no big scratches , nice and clean under the wood , safety lever and bolt shroud have different No's but all others match , bore is 9+/10 , and there are 60 cases ( 20 primed ) and RCBS fl die set.