Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Good Quality Muzzle Threading

Good Quality Muzzle Threading

I've got a rifle which is my pride and joy, I want it threaded to take a DPT can but I don't want any ham fisted gun smith to touch it. Who would you recommend in the north island? I dont mind sending the rifle as I am based in Taupo. Want someone that doesnt have to take the barrel off the action to do it.

@Friwi DPT he does a reasonable job
    Blaser and GWH like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    I've got a rifle which is my pride and joy, I want it threaded to take a DPT can but I don't want any ham fisted gun smith to touch it. Who would you recommend in the north island? I dont mind sending the rifle as I am based in Taupo. Want someone that doesnt have to take the barrel off the action to do it.
    Tom at dead eye dicks is a good smithy.dont think anyone takes the barrel out
    Shootm and Blaser like this.

Caretaker
    Scott Trail at Shooting Systems Research in Carterton

He will make sure the thread is cut concentric to the bore centreline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mikee and Mathias like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Who takes the barrel off?!
    Shootm, veitnamcam, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Mitch Maxberry did the most spectacular job on my last barrel with a 14x1 for a T2. There is almost no off-axis movement after just 2 turns of engagement yet the barest thread contact friction either. More often than I care to confess I just spend a few minutes experiencing the joy of the fine workmanship by twiddling my brake .

There is a guy around here that does which can damage the finish on your rifle. Sweet I will check out DPT, logical I guess to send it there haha.

They are all capable of a fuck up

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Blaser, BRADS and Beaker like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Our personal recommendation when people ask us to thread rifles, if it is being threaded for a new suppressor, get the suppressor maker to thread it. If you want a DPT, get DPT to thread the rifle. If you want a Gunworks can, get Gunworks to thread it. The reasoning behind this is if there is a problem later then the rifle goes to the company that did the thread and the suppressor so they have to fix it.

We have had situations where a thread and the can did not completely match (Not our threading or our can). One issue was the can was not 100% lined up with the bore. Suppressor make stated not their problem it was because the thread was off centre, where the person who threaded it said everything was straight and that the can was not made right. Customer was the loser in this case and shelled out for a third party to fix what should be under warranty as no one would accept fault. If you get the suppressor and threading done by the same company there is no argument and warranty responsibility issues are clearer.

Most guys set up to make suppressors will also do threading (If they don't, then they damn well should) and I would expect all do it by removing the action from the stock. I dont know of anyone that needs to remove the barrel.
    zimmer, shooternz and Fawls like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    They are all capable of a fuck up

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    And hopefully all capable of sorting said Fuck up under warranty......
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    You could alays just use a die nut - just kidding.

You are going to get a DPT, or do you already own it?
    If you have still to buy it the issue is a no brainer - you're in Taupo, Darrens in Hamilton, send it to him.
    Otherwise if you already own it, Darren is still a good "local" choice.
    If not Darren, you can send it to the 4 winds - Mitch M, Dean in Tauranga, Scott Traill (who I believe is back available for general smithing).
    Discuss your requirements and any concerns b4 committing yourself. Anyone that doesn't require the can along with the rifle to do the task should be avoided.
    Maca49 likes this.

every gun smith seems to have their own version of a so-called "universal thread".
    And they all seem to bad mouth each other about "how no one else can cut a simple thread". wtf ?!
    I've got several rifles threaded 14x1 and several suppressors & brakes also in "14x1" .... but at least 30% of the time that don't match.
    Same for 1/2x20 UNF ...
    So as Zimmer said ... if you're going to get a DPT can then I strongly recommend u send it to Darren to put the muzzle thread on.
    Maca49 likes this.

I'll do it for you Tim and if I stuff it up I'll keep the rifle?
    Shootm, WallyR and Solo like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Cheeky sod!

Yep I have the can already, I will probably box up the rifle and send it up to DPT after this week.

Just get DPT to do it, they do a great job