Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kscott

Thread: Gun cases?

Gun cases?

Hey All,

How good are these cases for shipping? Looking for something for next time I need to put a gun on the plane.
    Its not urgent but just browsing.

If these are crap what do people recommend? Without breaking the bank

Puku
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

SiB
    Hey Puku

The mystery case you've (not) attached won't do. Airlines usually like something that can be seen. Attach the link or pic!!!

for inside Nz I just use a gunbag with a padlock fitted to the zipper.
    I also put about 10 fragile stickers on it and check the zero when I arrive to my destination

Spend the money on your investment of your rifle(s), and protect it properly IMO.

While a decent guncase may be an expensive one off purchase, it'll protect your gear.

How much is your scope ? How much will you have to spend to replace it and/or fix your rifle if someone idiot drops a heavy bag on it, or knocks it onto the ground ? It's just a gamble and personally I'm not prepared to take the risj after the amount of $$ I've spent on my rifles.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    for inside Nz I just use a gunbag with a padlock fitted to the zipper.
    I also put about 10 fragile stickers on it and check the zero when I arrive to my destination

Arrrrggghhh baggage handlers are not the most gentle people in the world.

A bit hard to guess without your ghost attached image, but this is what I have. A quite old Stamford "hard" case which has been backward and forward to Aus on many occasions. Side protection not that great given gun cases become "targets" to baggage handlers. I don't know whether Stamford exist anymore.. I have a Flambeau 6490 Double Rifle Case | Dual Shotgun Case by Flambeau Cases which I use for local use when I want something a little better than a gunbag for transportation. It has better side protection than the Stamford. I have also a Plano top of the line which has the ability to be strapped to the landing gear of a Cessna if that is where you are going. Plano ® :: All Weather Series It has all the bells and whistles including the equalising breather (essential when strapped to the aforementioned Cessna) It is too cumbersome and heavy though for local use. I was going to get the Pelican but the Plano came in much cheaper and is just as good. The Plano is airline approved (whatever that means, probably means they can treat you like shite when you turn up at the flight desk). They are all lockable with padlocks and additionally the Plano also has its own locks
    Last edited by zimmer; 22-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Yup. Plano double gun case $135 from Reloaders here. Padlocks on the 2 x corners, zip ties near the handle.

Looks just as good under xray

Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Hey Puku

The mystery case you've (not) attached won't do. Airlines usually like something that can be seen. Attach the link or pic!!!
    Ah shit! Whoops how the hell did i manage that. Here it is,
    Gun Guard 2 Gun Travel Case | Trade Me

Well now this thread makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I have also a Plano top of the line which has the ability to be strapped to the landing gear of a Cessna if that is where you are going. Plano ® :: All Weather Series It has all the bells and whistles including the equalising breather (essential when strapped to the aforementioned Cessna) It is too cumbersome and heavy though for local use. I was going to get the Pelican but the Plano came in much cheaper and is just as good.
    Yep i have one of these, took my .375H&H to Alaska and back in it. Awesome for the job.
    Contact Richard Munt at Serious Shooters in Auckland. He was super helpful getting mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Well now this thread makes sense
    haha yeah. I thought you buggers might've been mind readers....

Cool well the Plano ones look value for money, probably get the double SE type one. Maybe a christmas present

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Yup. Plano double gun case $135 from Reloaders here. Padlocks on the 2 x corners, zip ties near the handle.

Looks just as good under xray

That's hot
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt