Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hawke scopes any good?

ebf
    Toby, another way of getting more bang for your buck with optics, is to go for a higher quality fixed power scope rather than a poor quality variable.

Get a mildot reticle, learn how to use it for holdover

Fixed power will also teach to to get a consistent check weld, they dont tend to have paralax adjustment.

6x should be good out to further than most people can shoot, and more practical than 10x
    Last edited by ebf; 30-12-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Re-worded paralax part

A couple of Hawke-scopes are apparently made in Japan, and are 'ok'..Endurance is one, I think, maybe. (best check) Rest are Chinese. I dont know of any Chinese scope that has metal pivots (they all use O-rings ) and therefore POI can be a lucky-dip, combined with 'round' inner-tube,where elevation adjustment affects windage, and visa-versa, combined with crap-quality leaf-spring, whose job it is to return everything back to 'ground-zero, after the recoil and resultant shock-waves...and the 'Glass' in them, isnt glass, its flash plastic..surprising that any of them work really...and most Do..for a while..but you'll never no for sure...maybe the Tooth-Fairy telepathically makes me put money under my kids pillows......

northdude
    I run cheap scooes on my rifles nikko stirlings mainly never had a problem with them cheap bushnells never had a problem with them low end old weaver never had a problem arctic fox the same the most expensive one would be a low end sightron never had a problem with that either i must be the only person out there thats been so lucky had a hawke it was a nice scope bought it from youngs it did crap out after about 6 years but took it back and got a free replacement no questions asked i mainly shoot targets and bush hunt i dont piss arse around with dialing as you dont have time for that in the bush and its usually close range stuff i just learn my hold overs i was planning on upgrading my budget scopes ad they shit themselves but 15+ years later im still waiting
    mudgripz and rewa like this.

Good old Toby keeps popping back up

Thread revival from 2012, great effort

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Good old Toby keeps popping back up

Thread revival from 2012, great effort
    Gold
    He brought a fucking great big mueller in the end
    Dam thing was bigger than a submarine
    Kiwi Greg and Pengy like this.

Apparently the secret to cheaper scopes is to never adjust them once they're on, and use 'hold-over' when needed, as northdude says. I too,have a couple of really old Nikko-stirlings still going strong, I suspect they were better-made than modern cheap ones tho. Also have a Japanese Simmons wide-angle thats great (again I suspect its made right) plus an old steel-Weaver and an old Pecar-these last three are all equal and my favourites. I splashed-out on my first flash scope 2yrs ago; Leupold 3-9 vari, the reticle is too fine, and it appears less, optically, than the last three. It would be ironic, if it claps-out first. I bought it for my "Flash-rifle'' (sako 6.5x55), but have since gone back to the old Simmons 4x wide-angle.I would love to try some of these 2k-4k scopes you hear about, just to see what they're about, have to 'hit' them with a matt-black spray-can I'm guessing,cos the gold-plating would surely scare the game

Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    Apparently the secret to cheaper scopes is to never adjust them once they're on, and use 'hold-over' when needed, as northdude says. I too,have a couple of really old Nikko-stirlings still going strong, I suspect they were better-made than modern cheap ones tho. Also have a Japanese Simmons wide-angle thats great (again I suspect its made right) plus an old steel-Weaver and an old Pecar-these last three are all equal and my favourites. I splashed-out on my first flash scope 2yrs ago; Leupold 3-9 vari, the reticle is too fine, and it appears less, optically, than the last three. It would be ironic, if it claps-out first. I bought it for my "Flash-rifle'' (sako 6.5x55), but have since gone back to the old Simmons 4x wide-angle.I would love to try some of these 2k-4k scopes you hear about, just to see what they're about, have to 'hit' them with a matt-black spray-can I'm guessing,cos the gold-plating would surely scare the game
    I looked through a z5 at dusk. It shat all over my old red field. The amount of light it gathered and how late it was was amazing.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I looked through a z5 at dusk. It shat all over my old red field. The amount of light it gathered and how late it was was amazing.
    youd be totally pissed if it wasn't better probably easy 3x the price to the one your comparing it to

northdude
    for me after being around for a long time now what it comes down to is the warranty service the only scope ive had that failed got replaced straight away no questions asked and to me that's good service some might say it shouldn't of failed but it the real world if a human has anything to do with it theres a chance it will fail and its not only the cheap scopes that fail a look through here and as far as ive read vortex wins the failed scope comp so far and they aint cheap ive read quite a few leupolds sorry guys failing as well so no brand is immune