Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Help please from out AR experts!

Help please from out AR experts!

Want to remove the handguard. No youtube video I can find shows how for this particular free floating set up. I can't get the tool behind the lock ring. Please help or it is off to the gunsmith.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

you don't normally get behind the locking ring usually around the outside. Some like Daniel Defense need their own special FF Tube wrench.
    What Brand is the handguard?? Also you should use a proper action block for an AR and remove the rails / scope mt etc.

nor would I lt a gunsmith who doesnt do ar work near it

Actually looking at it I reckon a stap wrench and action vise block along with a bit of heat and it might spin off leaving the barrel nut in place maybe possibly
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I think you need to unscrew an outer sleeve with those ones. The ring you see with the square cuts threads onto the barrel nut, and the handguard screws to that. It's a YHM type barrel nut. At least that is how it was described to me. I never took mine off.
    mikee likes this.

So gunsmith. Fark it just bought the whiz bang tool and don't want to buy the vice. Also got a feeling the low profile gas block has screws underneath that mean the barrel may need keeper dimples drilled.

I had a similar - not quite the same? - setup and removed it, I put a flat head screw driver with a bit of rag over it into one of the square cut outs in the ring close to the receiver and tapped it with a hammer (clockwise? looking down rifle from the business end) and loosened off a sort of "locking nut" type thing, also the rail had a screw in the bottom that indexed into the barrel nut, once loosened I could screw off the rail. Whatever you do would be best to get that scope out of the way just to be safe, and best of luck

Ive got a low profile adjustable gas block that has the 2 screws underneath to locate it, reckon unless I'm off to afghan I should be sweet
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Should've added: I'm sweet without dimples drilled, just screwed it into the barrel, ran the current gas block (anderson manufacturing) through 5 -6 hundred rounds with no problems

Yep are you sure which way you tapped the handguard...I think looking from the muzzle back to the action it would be clockwise...so that the lock nut screws towards the action.

I have the same type.
    Use a brass punch to undo the handguard nut if you don't have the tool.
    Youtube search Midwest SS Gen 1 handguard install for similar nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWhcTJoQLdw

The handguard nut goes the opposite direction to the barrel nut to tighten the handguard.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Tap the[U] locknut [U]clock wise to free up the hand guard so it can screw off counter clockwise looking down from the muzzle? please don't do anything drastic based on me, just my experience with a one off similar looking set-up
    dogmatix likes this.

FAAAA are we a bunch of AR NUTS or what good work team.

Just to clarify the "locking nut" and the actual hand rail are two seperate things, both attached to a barrel nut, FUN TIMES

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    FAAAA are we a bunch of AR NUTS or what good work team.
    What he said

Took it out to the shed...have some big crescents but no go. Not keen to whack with brass punch as I will stuff something up (bad enough even when I have the right tool for the job).

I know what you mean, had to twack an AR receiver with a plastic mallet not so long ago to get it back to shape, if you go past gunworks prob best to get them to have a look, the hand guard I had that sounds very similar to yours I brought from them, so they should see you right. Awesome service, great prices, cheers