Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Help on scope magnification range??

Fair enough. But if you would have done it you must believe there is some advantage to doing it, otherwise why bother?
    Not trying to be a smart arse here. I know exactly what you mean.
    When choosing as scope it is a matter of weighting up the advantages of the higher magnification (increased precision) vs the disadvantages (bigger/heavier scope).
    The one thing I would not compromise on is the low end. Don't like a poor FOV.
    As they say. Everything is a compromise.
    Last edited by Shearer; 25-07-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Fair enough. But if you would have done it you must believe there is some advantage to doing it, otherwise why bother?
    Not trying to be a smart arse here. I know exactly what you mean.
    When choosing as scope it is a matter of weighting up the advantages of the higher magnification (increased precision) vs the disadvantages (bigger/heavier scope).
    The one thing I would not compromise on is the low end. Don't like a poor FOV.
    As they say. Everything is a compromise.
    Fortunately the OP is looking at the Leupy VX5, which even the 3-15 has an amazing FOV on the low end.
    I don't think the OP can really go wrong, the FOV on either the 3-15 or 2-10 is excellent on the lowest magnification.
    It comes down to how much long range use it will actually get, if its going to spend 80% of its life hunting under 100m the 2-10 with firedot will be perfect.
    Shearer and chainsaw like this.

True. I really like the firedot on my 3-15 and the FOV on 3x is twice that of the VX3 it replaced.
    Beetroot and chainsaw like this.

I reckon field of view is the key on longer shots when you don't have a spotter...lowest mag practical so you have a better chance of seeing the bullet hit.
    Huk and Pongo12 like this.

In my experience the leupold duplex reticle is too fine for use in bush under canopy.

For all rounder hunting ive standardised to 3-12x myself. I find 3x or 4x plenty low enough and FOV is great.

If you do 30% hunting on open tops past 100m you will definitely benefit from over 10x. See better shoot better. It can be hard to line up the small exit pupil of a 15x44 in a hurry and most factory stocks DONT have a good cheekweld.

Ive come to the conclusion that scopes have their best optical performance in the middle of their mag range especially for brightness and resolution. However most shots with my 7mm08 are taken at 3x or 12x (50/50). I expect a lot if deer hunters are the same.

If you really want to shoot 500m, think you will find 15x very useful for load development, sighting in, trajectory and practice even if you dont use it much hunting. You might not need it for hunting but you will be able to shoot smaller groups with 15x.

If you are over 40 yo or shortsighted then parallax knob will help you get the target image sharp.

I would only go for the 2-10 X if weight and size are high priorities and you're happy to compromise for shots beyond 200 m.
    Fisherman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by In2thewild View Post
    Yep. Vx-5 is at the top of the list. Then maybe Zeiss hd5
    suggest you also consider the VX6 2-12x42 in wish your list. Have one of these on my 280AI - great up close & very capable out to 600 - 800 yrds (800 close to max dial up with AMAXs).
    +1 for the firedot reticle - for my old eyes having that tiny bright dot really helps me focus on the exact POA, and its brilliant in low light or in the bush.

I run the 2 - 12 vx6 on mine

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Another suggestion, for close cover a unity reflex offset like you sometimes see on an ar. Then you can put whatever big arse scope you want on top for those occasional long shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Of course you can shoot a deer with a 223 and 3x scope. You don't even NEED a scope for that matter. The OP was trying to decide between a good quality 2-10x or 3-15x. I don't think he needs to be told he can do it with a 4x.
    mate we are on the same page....... the point I was making with 4x comment is that you can overcomplicate things
    for what its worth
    my .223 mainly wallaby rifle wears 3x9x50mm loopy
    .270 mainly open country wears 3x9x40mm loopy
    7.62x39mm bush carbine wears M8 4power loopy
    sons .308 just getting fitted with 4x12x40mm loopy....cause he loves shooting wallabies and wants to be able to aim smaller when barrel stretching

most of my shots are taken on either 3x or 9x 3x for up close or standing bush range type shots
    9x for resting shots or sighting in.
    Shearer likes this.

I went down this rabbit hole a few months ago with my 308.
    Thought a 2-10x44 would be perfect - turns out all I could see at 2-5x in the bottom of my scope was suppressor.
    Ended up with the 3-15x44 hd5.
    Not too bad, but I'm tempted to trade it for a Sightron S-TAC 3-16.
    57jl likes this.

Gerbs my good man...thats so you shoot her "like a shottie" in the bush LOL ours are just visible on lowest power a set of mounts next height up would fix that.
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    I went down this rabbit hole a few months ago with my 308.
    Thought a 2-10x44 would be perfect - turns out all I could see at 2-5x in the bottom of my scope was suppressor.
    Ended up with the 3-15x44 hd5.
    Not too bad, but I'm tempted to trade it for a Sightron S-TAC 3-16.
    At least it sorts any paralax issues.

57JL
    Quote Originally Posted by suthy View Post
    This is a interesting thread. Is very interesting that everyone says that you don't need magnification for this long range shooting and yet no one will put any less than a 4x power scope on a 22lr that get used for the most part at less than 50m!! Adding to this is no one seems to complain about target acquisition with these 4x power scopes so how is everyone having so much trouble with larger game?

Just to add my 2cents, I prefer slightly higher magnification like 4-16 or better yet 3-18 will be far better for long range shooting than a 9 or 10 power scope. If you've ever seen a deer at 500m through a 9x power scope I think you'll agree it's a pretty small target at that distance!!

It's also a lot different when you are talking about a sniper aka someone who is trying to shoot a person @ 500m and a person who is trying to shoot a deer and kill it humanely. Snipers don't shot to kill necessary, it's much better to just wound someone so it takes two people out of the fight. Also field of view in a combat situation is waaaaay more important since you can DIE if you don't see targets!!!!! No so important for hunting since most use binos for target acquisition as the common rifleman in the military does not.

Again just my 2c.
    I have bushnell 6500 eilete 2.5-16 on 2 of my rifles works well in the bush on 2.5 thanks to rainguard in the wet and not a problem at 500 not that i get many of those shots if i could afford a better scope it would be S&B buy the best glass you can afford it makes a big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Gerbs my good man...thats so you shoot her "like a shottie" in the bush LOL ours are just visible on lowest power a set of mounts next height up would fix that.
    I'd be lying if I said that thought didn't cross my mind.... but my chubby cheeks like a low set of rings! Gets the scope into that sweet spot for my line-of-eye

it worked a treat before we got all flashfandangled and stuck mufflers on the end of barrels to protect our ears.
    veitnamcam and 223nut like this.