Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: High end scope comparison

High end scope comparison

WARNING THIS IS A SIMPLE UN TECHO, WHAT ARE THESE THINGS REALLY LIKE FOR THE AVERAGE TYPE OF GUY, REVIEW

I have been wanting to do this for a while & finally the appropriate pieces fell into place

I grabbed 6 rails & screwed then to a bit of alloy to mount the scopes onto a tripod.

Initially I compared Kahles 4.5-18x50 TT, NF NSX 5.5-22x56, NF ATACR 5-25x56, Premier Tactical 5-25x56, Leupold MK4 8.5-25x50, Leupold VXIII LR 8.5-25x50.

I looked at a couple of sheep in the evening at about 1500 with the 5-22 NSX, ATACR & Premier, the Premier won over the ATACR just, according the Boss & myself

Then I went to a Mates today & we compared a few more

We had the ones above & a couple of IORs 4-28x56 & 12-52x56 Terminator, S&B 5-25x56, NF NSX12-42x56, March 8-80x56 & a MASSIVE USO

We looked at some number charts & lines etc at 100 to see what we thought, the mirage made things interesting.....

Then I compared reticle sizes at 1200 yards onto a moa sized rock between the NPR1, MOAR in the ATACR & the S&B.

We took them all back had a coffee & looked at some Goats at about 1200 yards in the late afternoon sun.

We thought there was very little difference between the glass of the IORs, ATARC, S&B, Premier & USO, closely followed by the NSXs, VXIII, March, then the Kahles & MK4.

Looking at the goats was interesting, lots of them got mentally shot just behind the shoulder it really showed up the glass.

So basically the glass is very similar, a good look in the evening with the best ones might show up some noticable differences.

IMHO it is the features that you what that make the difference, dials, focal plane, reticle, available elevation etc

So for my requirements the ATACR ticks all the boxes.

I was concerned about the MOAR reticle thickness, it is thicker than the NPR1 but doesnt appear to be as big as reported, it looked very similar to the Premier & S&B

With 120 MOA elevation adjustment it has nearly twice that of the S&B.

Looking forward to getting it set up on one of the DCMs & testing it in the feild
    Last edited by Kiwi Greg; 06-04-2013 at 10:10 PM.

so,while sitting enjoying coffee did you work out the amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ sitting there
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    so,while sitting enjoying coffee did you work out the amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ sitting there
    Not as much as the ute

Just as well they aren't all mine

Just as well they didn't fall over

Caretaker
    Probably the only review of its kind in the world ! and thanks for taking the time and dollars to do it.

The new NXS scopes are good enough in low light at 900 yrds for what i want.
    Terminator and 199p like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Go the premier

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Go the premier
    Phooey, Nightforce is king
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Cheers
    I'd have to go with the S&B,that's not beause I think it's better, but simply it's the only one of that crew I have, so one eyemanship there.
    Damn I need a better paying job.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Shame you didnt have a Sightron eh brads?
    Savage1 likes this.

kahles mate all the way....
    Wirehunt likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I love the un techo nature of your testing KG, Right up my alley. So to summarise when you peeped through the looky end the crossy thing could be seen through all of them but you liked one best because the knobby bits were more your style?
    P38, muzr257, veitnamcam and 2 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Shame you didnt have a Sightron eh brads?
    Now that would of cleaned up I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I love the un techo nature of your testing KG, Right up my alley. So to summarise when you peeped through the looky end the crossy thing could be seen through all of them but you liked one best because the knobby bits were more your style?
    Yep Bang on Rushy

I have read tests that the new Kahles, Premier etc have "better" glass than the S&B, & yes I do believe them, but I don't have the lab required to differentiate between or the inclination to use "artistic licence" & a string of big long fancy works to describe my opinion.

Eyes are very subjective things & so are people, I appreciate the Bosses opinion because see couldn't care if it was a Hensholtz or Nikko & wouldn't know either

The IOR glass is very impressive I would say slightly brighter & crisper in the light.

It was interesting in the evening light as the coatings did their thing with the Atacr & Premier taking on the different hues.

Obviously if we had time & could put up with the sandflies we could do a much more thorough test in the light conditions leading up to dark.

We both learnt a lot & my Mate was pleased he took a heap of scopes off rifles, now he has an excuse to fire them all to see that they are sighted in correctly

Nice review Greg :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

What about the new Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 @ over 7K USD!!!!!

Sorry I could not get the k624i to you.

That Prem glass is awesome shit aye!!!
    Last edited by kokako; 07-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Awesome analogy Rushy

The looky crossy bits always seem fine to me ......... It's them knobby bits that get me screwed up everytime.

Thanks for the review Kiwi Greg.

Cheers
    Pete