Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Howa Mountain Rifle - Ceracote question

took a squizz at the new Howa mountain rifle in gun shop today. Quite a tidy little package - the stock is a real nice upgrade. One question - the barrel and action are blued steel that been Ceracoted. My question relates to the bore - fine and dandy that outside of barrel is protected by this super rust resistant finish but .... what about the bit that really matters - the bore. Does Ceracoting cover both outside and inside surfaces ? is bore also Ceracoted ? if so how does it stand up to firing and wear & tear of cleaning etc ?

No the bore doesn't get cerakoted it will rust the same as any blued rifle barrel.

They are stainless and ceracoted and very accurate .Nice trigger,Great rifle.

You sure they are stainless, a local gunsmith I spoke to said they were blued and cerakoted. Because of that he refuses to stock them. He felt it was false advertising, giving the impression of stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    You sure they are stainless, a local gunsmith I spoke to said they were blued and cerakoted. Because of that he refuses to stock them. He felt it was false advertising, giving the impression of stainless.
    ....which is a pity as there is nothing wrong with a blued barrel. Can you make carbon fibre stocks for that new mountain rifle model??

Goddamn, if I was doing over I'd buy one of those in 6.5cm in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkeye View Post
    Goddamn, if I was doing over I'd buy one of those in 6.5cm in a heartbeat.
    That's a bit of overkill?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

when I asked gunshop about blued vs stainless they rang the distributor (Cameron Sports ?) who confirmed it was Ceracote over blued bbl.
    Nothing wrong with a blued bbl, but it ain't stainless and you need to treat it accordingly in the field. I think Howa should be upfront about this and not make such a big play on "Ceracoting" which could mislead many punters into thinking they have a rifle they can treat like stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    when I asked gunshop about blued vs stainless they rang the distributor (Cameron Sports ?) who confirmed it was Ceracote over blued bbl.
    Nothing wrong with a blued bbl, but it ain't stainless and you need to treat it accordingly in the field. I think Howa should be upfront about this and not make such a big play on "Ceracoting" which could mislead many punters into thinking they have a rifle they can treat like stainless.
    Why don't you just buy a stainless one? Get a new stock if you want but definately change the rings/mounts to one piece.