Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Spudattack

Thread: Hunting Scope - discussion/help

Hunting Scope - discussion/help

Hi all

I'm looking to upgrade the scope on my .22mag, it is a Simmons 3-9 x 38. I am finding it just doesn't cut it anymore, the quality of the lens is not that great. Also when using the zoom I find there is quality lost in the actual vision through the scope. The scope came with the rifle when my father bout it for me just over 4years ago, its individual value was $119, so I can't imagine its the best. This becomes clearly evident when I compare it to the Leopould on my .223 and Burris on my 7mm08.
    I'm looking to spend a few hundred dollars, up to about $700ish, I understand you get what you pay for, hence the budget being pretty good (in my eyes).
    So please by all means put links or what you have on your rifles that works well, or any words of advice. Anything is appreciated.
    The scope I've had on my eye on is a Bushnell Scope Elite 3200 5-15x40 Multi-X Matte.

Cheers guys

Nikon make good scopes for the money from what I hear on here.
    VIVA LA HOWA

A 5-15x Bushnell Elite is waay over the top for a 22mag. Nice glass in the Elites though.

I'd suggest a mid-range 3-9 will do everything you need - Weaver, Vortex, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon, Leupy etc all make good scopes in the $3-500 range.

What are the Leupold and Burris on your other rifles? If you're keen on spending up on something nice you might be better off putting the new scope one one of them and moving that to the 22mag.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    A 5-15x Bushnell Elite is waay over the top for a 22mag. Nice glass in the Elites though.

I'd suggest a mid-range 3-9 will do everything you need - Weaver, Vortex, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon, Leupy etc all make good scopes in the $3-500 range.

What are the Leupold and Burris on your other rifles? If you're keen on spending up on something nice you might be better off putting the new scope one one of them and moving that to the 22mag.
    The Leopould is: VX1 3-9 x 40mm
    The Burris is: 3-9 x FULLFIELD II + Reticle focus
    I have thought about taking the Leopould off the .223 and putting it on to the .22mag as it's not yet sighted in, and then putting the new scope on to the .223 . If the plan is to do that, I wouldn't think I need crazy zoom on the .223, but would be happy to spoil it and put something good on it.
    Cheers GB

Put the leupy on the 22 mag, the burris on the 223 and get something choice for the 7mm08.
    Bill999 and Happy like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Put the leupy on the 22 mag, the burris on the 223 and get something choice for the 7mm08.
    I then have to sight in all three rifles! Haha, more work, but more shooting for me
    Thoughts on what to put on the 7mm08 then? Could maybe stretch the budget to $800 as it would be the rifle I'd take to hunt my first deer, so I'd be relying on the optics to be primo!

What do you shoot with the 223?

You could put something flasher on the 7-08, but if you hunt deer in the bush as well as open country you want whatever is on it to be starting at 3x IMO, 5x is a pain up close.

I'd put the VX1 on the 22mag and put something nice on the 223, in the 3-12x, 4-16x kind of range.

depending on your budget you can go second hand leupold and step up substantially in scope quality

are you going to use this as point and shoot or do you want to dial in for shots?
    trademe allways has a bargin to be had.
    there is quite a big difference in glass quality between say a vx1 and a vx3

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    depending on your budget you can go second hand leupold and step up substantially in scope quality

are you going to use this as point and shoot or do you want to dial in for shots?
    trademe allways has a bargin to be had.
    there is quite a big difference in glass quality between say a vx1 and a vx3
    Point and shoot, not really skilled enough for all this mil dot stuff haha