Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Importing A Rifle Stock

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!

Importing A Rifle Stock

Just wandering if a 'Joe layman' (current NZ firearms licence holder) can easily import a 'rifle stock' direct from Mcmillan in the States, and what you think the hassle/s (if any) would be? I know Brownells (Sinclair International) won't export firearm's componentry such as barrels, bolts, actions, triggers etc, however, I noticed that Mcmillan had an international sales option, and I'm wandering if that pertains to the NZ layman? Thanks.
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

US regs say any firearms part over $200 requires an export permit. That is why Boyds won't ship over $200 value. Some stock companies ignore it some don't.
    Only way to find out is to get in touch with McMillan. They use to sell to individuals.

LJP
    Up until recently that was very easy, which I've done several times. Very recently when inquiring about another stock was told by McMillan I had to go through one of their dealers. That leaves you Deadeye Dicks or Dean Maisey to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    US regs say any firearms part over $200 requires an export permit. That is why Boyds won't ship over $200 value. Some stock companies ignore it some don't.
    Only way to find out is to get in touch with McMillan. They use to sell to individuals.
    Boyds will not (cannot?) ship rifle stocks >US$100. Shotgun stocks though are not restricted to the 100 bucks.
    Some companies may ignore it but at their extreme peril. A lot have just stopped exporting, our small markets are not worth it.

Remington 5R .300 Win Mag contact Mike Gregg at Reloading International for a price. I buy all my projectiles thru him. Some time ago he also started offering the service for stocks (including McMillan), barrels, actions, triggers. He does all the permit work and charges a percentage of your order value for the service.
    ReloadingInternational.com or info@reloadinginternational.com

Thanks guys, for your help.
    That's kinda what I imagined I'd have to do. The reason I was wanting to import it myself, was, not so much to try and save $$$ (although that would be nice) rather, more that, if I was wanting a particular colour, pattern, style of stock etc, then that's another avenue for things to go wrong, as I'd have to explain the exact details to one of the afore mentioned people, then 'they'd', in turn, have to explain it to McMillan, and my experience tells me that a lot can go wrong with that, as opposed to me simply explaining it straight to McMillan! Maybe I could deal straight with McMillan myself, whilst ordering, then get an order number and forward that to one of the importers? Who knows?
    Anyway guys, your helps been much appreciated.

I enquired with McMillan last week, they will ship direct over here, but want $250usd to sort out the export permit to do so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Gunner View Post
    I enquired with McMillan last week, they will ship direct over here, but want $250usd to sort out the export permit to do so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Isn't that the cost to get the export permit?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Probably cheaper than going through the Nz agents still
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Gunner View Post
    Yeah, I was just gonna say, I rang McMillan this morning and they said exactly the same thing, USD$250.00 for an export permit, otherwise, go through a local (New Zealand) dealer!

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Probably cheaper than going through the Nz agents still
    She wouldn't tell me what the NZ dealer pays for the stock, however, I'm gambling that by the time I add the exorbitant cost of freight, I could be worse off than going through a dealer... who knows, perhaps I'm wrong?

you need to factor in the cost of the stock , cost of permit , cost of shipping , and then GST on those 3 costs .

I have previously bought a B&C stock from RedHawk, quite helpful

Rwt
    I brought a McMillan through Redhawkrifles.com about a year ago. No hassles or export permits to worry about. If they dont have it in stock they will order what you want from McMillan and then send it on. Cost me around 700 or so landed.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rwt View Post
    I brought a McMillan through Redhawkrifles.com about a year ago. No hassles or export permits to worry about. If they dont have it in stock they will order what you want from McMillan and then send it on. Cost me around 700 or so landed.
    Geepers, I like this too!

Thanks very much, I'll look them up.
    I've got the feeling the exchange rate will be against me a bit now though, compared to a year ago, however, that's still in the ball park!

Quote Originally Posted by Rwt View Post
    I haven't actually contacted them yet, however, I have had a brief look on their website regarding McMillan stocks for Remington 700 Long Action, and just the plain ones they have in stock, retail for between USD$450 - USD$640, so the math here just ain't adding up that you can land it for around $700 (and I assume you're meaning NZD)
    My guesstimate is more like:

McMillan Stock (Remington Hunter) w/ Limbsaver Pad, Full Inlet, 2 Studs and Moulded-in Colours USD $ 562.00

Plus Aluminium Pillars Installed USD $ ?

Freight USD $ 100.00?

Export Permit USD $ 250.00

Total USD $ 912.00

NZD Conversion (as of Saturday 9th April 2016) NZD $ 1,340.14

Plus GST NZD $ 1,541.16

Plus Bedding to my Action (once landed in NZ) NZD $ 500.00

Grand Total ('PLUS' Pillar Installation) NZD $ 2,041.16

Plus my own personal experience that's taught me 'everything' tends to be a lot MORE than you calculate for, and I'd say NZD $ 2,050.00 is a very 'conservative' estimate!

So, no, I don't like your post, sorry!