Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By Bagheera
  • 1 Post By WillB

Thread: Lasik Blended Vision and Hunting

Lasik Blended Vision and Hunting

Hi

Not quite sure where to post this one, but at least this topic has "optics" in the heading. I am thinking about getting laser surgery to correct short sightedness and at 55 I also need to worry about close up vision. One option is what they call blended vision - one eye corrected for distance, one less corrected so it can still focus closer-in, for reading and so forth.

Anyone out there who has had this done? If so what's it like for hunting? Using scopes, binoculars, and so on. And the distance vision in general, how is it working out for you?

thanks in advance
    W

Whoa is my first thought. Love side focus scopes for similar reasons. Similar age to you with similar problem as well as
    astigmatism from birth so wear glasses which are heaps of fun to hunt in (NOT)
    Others use 4 x scopes I start at 8 minimum and love 14 + Been too scared to get the miracle cure just yet ...

Ley us know if it hurts
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I suffered a right eye injury in my early 20's which caused a bad astigmatism and altered my focus. Now in my early 50's I decided 6 months ago to have it corrected by laser and got it as close to my left eye which is distance. They asked me if I wanted blended but I declined with the option of wearing glasses for reading & close up shit. For 30 years I had to look at a wonky reticle in my scope due to my fucked up vision and now I can use a fine reticle for LR and see everything as it should be. To be honest this was my main reason for having it done.
    We are all likely to get presbyopia and need some form of correction and the blended lasik is commonly done. I work with 2 people that have had it done and they are happy with it, though both have had it done twice within a year as first time around wasn't right. I had to have two zaps 4 months apart as my eye injury proved tricky and its now the best they can do and to be honest they ain't farkn touchin it again!

So I'm happy with the result though my differs from the norm.

Dont take my experience as the end of it, they offer it for a reason in that it works for some folk.

If you go along and see them and are serious about having it done they will offer you a try out first.
    This involves making for the eye that is going to be corrected with Lasik a contact lens that will simulate how things will look for you.

My mind was open to trying the concept, but due to my occupation it was shit.

I drive cranes for a job and usually in darkness / artificial light for a big part of it. Where I required precise vision i got frustrated with the lack of depth of field and sharpness. Also after having been a spectacle wearer all my life I enjoy the crisp vision this gives me. This lasik wasnt going to give me anywhere near the clarity I already had.

My Bro in law is a chippy and had the single eye done years ago.... he likes it
    veitnamcam likes this.

Get tested, if the pros say it'll work for you go for it. I know 4 people who've had it done, all but one hunt, and all of them wish they'd done it sooner. Doesn't hurt supposedly, in and out quick as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Cheers guys really appreciate your help with this as it's a big decision. Fantastically useful to get a hunters perspective. What I've realised is as suggested I can use contacts to replicate the effect- I can give it a thorough try out this way and then decide. They did say I'm a suitable candidate. Had the appointment today and came out thinking wow maybe this is a good idea. It's the hunting I'd be doing it for too- no glasses in the rain no contacts to put in at four in the morning in the dark!

@WillB

I had mine done in '06, 6 weeks prior to a trip to riding M/cycles in Tuscany.
    In 11 years, I've never once regretted doing it.
    Oh - I had both eyes focal length set just beyond arm's length.
    Had used the mixed (short for reading, long for driving, shooting, etc), contact lens for several years.
    At -4.5 in both eyes, plus slight astigmatism in the master, right, eye, they were great during the day, but were clearly different at night - driving usually.
    After a day in, I usually got headaches by 9.30-10pm and had to take them out and use glasses.
    I use reading glasses for close work/reading/computer/iPad/ smartphone - cheapies made in China work fine.
    The left eye gives me problems as the laser stopped to recharge longer than usual, so the anaesthetic wore off before it was finished.
    As I was in a hurry, never went back to get it sorted. The smell is bit like burnt roast.
    Left eye isn't perfect, but I scrape through the driver's license eye test fine and don't need to wear glasses any more while driving.
    Use the contacts as a guide (like I did), and then make your decision.

I've had cataracts done and now have fixed focus Left eye at infinity and right is one dioptre short.

from age -55 On you'll notice less ability to focus due to lenses get harder.

I can read (right eye) in good light but use $40 reading glasses for fine work. like on gun. I can see well without glasses for hunting probably use the left eye.

Distance perception for walking onuneven ground is good. You don't need ultra sharp in both eyes and the binocular "blend" IS Very good. I understandyou can getproblems if one eye is corrected alot by glasses eg 3 on 4 dioptre.

Binoculars are easy.Just adjust one lens a little.

Scope is also good. Due to not having any focus ability I Use ones with "side focus" parallax adjustment. So I get good focus including the reticle. I suspect the distance the image appearsperfectly focussed to me. is not the distance parallax if eliminated at. This is minor for hunting.
    WallyR likes this.

Cheers guys, great info. My first surprise (although I don't know why I didn't expect this) is that so many of you are doing this! And quite a few are doing the blended thing and are happy with it. As you say @WallyR I can take my time, and I will. Might be an excuse to buy a new scope too - with side focus
    WallyR likes this.

I've heard some stories about "halos" at night afterwards - its the one thing putting me off.
    If I'm spotlighting, I want to be able to identify EXACTLY what I'm shooting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    I've heard some stories about "halos" at night afterwards - its the one thing putting me off.
    If I'm spotlighting, I want to be able to identify EXACTLY what I'm shooting at.
    Heard that one too - scratches on lens/cornea from the laser scars can be like dirt on the windscreen. All OK when driving along most times, but you suddenly regret not cleaning the windscreen once a low sun hits you in the face, and not at night where loss of contrast causes some objects to "grey out".

You can get rifle scopes corrected for your vision can you not? I had a Canon camera with a screw adjustment on the viewfinder so short sighted folk could use it without their glasses. All you need is a bit of ingenuity and a John Lennon type round lens.

Other aspect you may consider - shooting glasses. Yes, eye protection. You can get prescription safety glasses, even bifocal ones. If you have to wear a piece of perspex, why not a doubly useful one?

About inability to accommodate your vision... sorry, once you are over 45 you don't actually change focus with the lens of the eye, it is quite stiff and fixed in what it does. You "focus" by narrowing or opening your pupil which gives more depth of field. That's why you feel less long sighted in a bright room and can read books you otherwise could not with a weak bedside lamp.

Interesting. I did actually try Adidas Evil Eye sports glasses which have a clip in corrective lens behind wrap around sunglasses. They're good for general outdoors stuff but horrible to shoot with. They couldn't get a progressive lens to work with my head in position on the stock. Angle was wrong and the reticle is out of focus. Lots of parallax too.