Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: At least it's a nice colour green - NZDF choose AR to replace Steyrs

R93
    Don't know who's reticle it was but ours was at least usable.
    Still we never managed to be the Aussie service rifle team using it when I shot against them.
    We have beaten them since a few times but.
    They were caught out fudging results at times. But still won major events.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Switching from the SLR and M16 to Steyr did improve shooters scores with the optic and the steyr was very accurate. Made the falling plate shoot a breeze. Personally I preferred the SLR and the M16. It did make us wonder why the Group still carried M16s around Papakura when the rest of us had Steyrs. Remember seeing the the odd long barrelled steyr with a bipod in the Armoury as well.

Bit more info here

New Zealand selects LMT rifle for Steyr replacement - IHS Jane's 360

IHS Jane's understands that LMT offered CQB16 variants with 406 mm and 457 mm barrels for testing
    ZG47 likes this.

res
    Just had a look at that model on lmt's site, no way to mount a bayonet? Not needed anymore? Or just a addon part?

Not that I know much about such things but I would have thought the physiological impact would have still been useful for crowd control etc
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Just had a look at that model on lmt's site, no way to mount a bayonet? Not needed anymore? Or just a addon part?

Not that I know much about such things but I would have thought the physiological impact would have still been useful for crowd control etc
    All weapons trialled were able to be fitted with the the current issue M7 Bayonet. As for there need/relevance these days, that is another debate altogether...
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

The LMT had a bayonet attachment that was very similar to the current one on the standard size Steyr within NZDF, it is a add on as such. The bayonet boss was also at 90 degrees to its normal position that most are used to as the M203 is interchangeable between weapons rather than having dedicated "grenadier" weapons of today.
    ZG47 likes this.

res
    That makes sense
    Shooter likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post

I suspect it is supposed to read "but I would have thought the psychological impact would have still been useful for crowd control etc" A visible deterrent that has a effect of "scaring" them to behave.....All bayonets have a physiological impact. They leave a bleeding hole the same shape as the blade in the person when stabbed.

I also suspect you appreciate a good spell check program that thinks it knows what you mean....Mine is the same. I have to keep correcting my spell check. (On a side note I went to type Butter as in "Can you grab some butter on the way home". Spell check decided I wanted a pound of buttf__k from the supermarket....)
    veitnamcam, Bryan, R93 and 2 others like this.

res
    You would be right on all counts, but with the addition of predictive text-and that's probably the biggest culprit of all for me
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    All weapons trialled were able to be fitted with the the current issue M7 Bayonet. As for there need/relevance these days, that is another debate altogether...
    @Shooter Looking at several British soldiers' CQB experience in Afghanistan, I'd advocate retaining bayonets.
    Shooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    @Shooter Looking at several British soldiers' CQB experience in Afghanistan, I'd advocate retaining bayonets.
    I am a true believer in retaining our beloved weapon of the bayonet too @Ryan. Unfortunately it is not a view that is expressed by all within the NZDF. Like a few have alluded to above the bayonet is not just a "On guard, Parrie, In, Out, On guard" tool but the removal of such a "Last resort" weapon can have massive second and third order effect further on down the track be it the ability to show force in a crowd control type situation...
    ZG47 likes this.

R93
    Ya need bayonets for drill.
    They are a must have😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Savage1 and Roddy like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

@R93, if compatibility issues, fact this would never happen and also putting aside platforms for now.

With your experience military and firearms would we be possibly better off using a 6.5 to 7mm type of cartridge rifles/machine guns like poms wanted to go to years ago? Make everyone pretty much a designated marksman and use the 5.56 more in roles like 9mm and 45 cal submachine guns used in units?
    Just curious?

or could go Dutch SF and get 300 BLK Carbines,

Quote Originally Posted by dansus View Post
    or could go Dutch SF and get 300 BLK Carbines,
    now that would be something.