Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: At least it's a nice colour green - NZDF choose AR to replace Steyrs

R93
    Unfortunately not everyone in the Army is capable of being a dedicated marksman.
    I shot in every competition I could during my career because I enjoyed it and it got you out of some dull boring everyday stuff and away from the battlion.
    Rugby was another bug bear to Plt commanders and the like😆

It was also the only time due to cost, the Army put anything into shooting apart from the yearly AWQ that everyone had to do.
    Shooting used to be a hi priority when I first joined and before I left some years later training and time doing it was very limited.

Pretty much the same faces were present every year in most of those competitions.

A mere handful compared to the potential selection base of shooters.

I do not have an opinion on what caliber should be used unless it is role specific.
    5.56 is adequate for its general role imo.
    Changing caliber for individual weapons would have to be done elsewhere in the world for us to consider it.

The first priority in any contact is to try and gain fire superiority. Win the initial fire fight.
    Deliberate shooting has no use or place in the first instance.
    Rounds in volume on the ground do.
    Therefore the amount of a munitions a soldier can carry has to be considered. Not only does he carry for himself but he will likely be carrying ammo and mines for other assetts.
    I believe first line ammo is still 280 rounds and 2 grenades minimum so a change to a larger caliber would increase weight or reduce amount carried, so which ever way you look at it there would be substantial changes needed and quite frankly above any pay grade I would have made had I stayed in longer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Unfortunately not everyone in the Army is capable of being a dedicated marksman.
    I shot in every competition I could during my career because I enjoyed it and it got you out of some dull boring everyday stuff and away from the battlion.
    Rugby was another bug bear to Plt commanders and the like��

It was also the only time due to cost, the Army put anything into shooting apart from the yearly AWQ that everyone had to do.
    Shooting used to be a hi priority when I first joined and before I left some years later training and time doing it was very limited.

Pretty much the same faces were present every year in most of those competitions.

A mere handful compared to the potential selection base of shooters.

I do not have an opinion on what caliber should be used unless it is role specific.
    5.56 is adequate for its general role imo.
    Changing caliber for individual weapons would have to be done elsewhere in the world for us to consider it.

The first priority in any contact is to try and gain fire superiority. Win the initial fire fight.
    Deliberate shooting has no use or place in the first instance.
    Rounds in volume on the ground do.
    Therefore the amount of a munitions a soldier can carry has to be considered. Not only does he carry for himself but he will likely be carrying ammo and mines for other assetts.
    I believe first line ammo is still 280 rounds and 2 grenades minimum so a change to a larger caliber would increase weight or reduce amount carried, so which ever way you look at it there would be substantial changes needed and quite frankly above any pay grade I would have made had I stayed in longer.

Yep still at 280 rounds but given the typical combat load is 2xfront line you can see how the weight builds up. The DMW on the other hand has a first line of 140 rounds which as a designated marksman is fine but as we know any member within the section must be capable of assaulting just like the other rifleman so they end up caring a min of 2 frontline, which you can imagine gets rather heavy very quickly.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Yep still at 280 rounds but given the typical combat load is 2xfront line you can see how the weight builds up. The DMW on the other hand has a first line of 140 rounds which as a designated marksman is fine but as we know any member within the section must be capable of assaulting just like the other rifleman so they end up caring a min of 2 frontline, which you can imagine gets rather heavy very quickly.
    lets not forget the poor bugger who also carries macine gun belts and 40mm rounds and oh yes the radio.
    ZG47 and Tommy like this.

those 40mm are flaming heavy.
    ZG47 and Tommy like this.

...those PRC77's were flaming heavy... with a spare battery as well...
    ZG47 and Roddy like this.

The radios today are far lighter than the 77 set that's for sure. Front line for the gun is 800rounds so once again 2xfrontline brings in a lot of weight, although this canbe distributed across the section. All in all the 5.56 is the best of both worlds, like R93 said the aim of the initial contact is to win the firefight thus gaining the initiative/upper hand over the enemy allowing you to launch an assualt. So the more rounds you have the longer you can sustain a high rate of fire.

It pretty quickly becomes apparent that light infantry is anything but light!
    ZG47 likes this.

An interesting thread. Enjoying it.

Apparently the NZ Army uses, or is planning on using, heavy 77 grain 5.56mm ammunition

res
    Have also heard that, probably a sensible change given that they are losing 4" of barrel. And the military 77gn stuff is moving impressively fast out of those short tubes-the same as the max I can get handloading for a 22" tube
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Have also heard that, probably a sensible change given that they are losing 4" of barrel. And the military 77gn stuff is moving impressively fast out of those short tubes-the same as the max I can get handloading for a 22" tube
    I had a lot of problems getting velocity from 77grain projectiles and a 18" barrel. Wounder what the secret is?

res
    I would guess a blended powder mix
    Using Tapatalk

I have heard around the traps , that each one will come with a suppressor , as they are a tad loud .....
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

What is the story with the calibre ? , is this in 5.56 or 7.62mm , and why did the Scar do so poorly ?

And as far as recent small arms buys by the Army , I think buying the LSW in 7.62mm was stupid , if you want a 7.62mm LMG , buy a real one , like the GPMG/MAG58 .

R93
    OMG. Really?
    I would have thought the term LMG was obvious.

Savage1, Shooter, BRADS and 2 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.