Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: At least it's a nice colour green - NZDF choose AR to replace Steyrs

Yes really , I donot care what you call it or the Army call it , its a belt fed full auto machine gun , a C9 in 7.62 or the MAG58 , I now which I would pick by a country mile , and its not the C9/Minimi , YES really .

I think he meant as in LIGHT machine gun .... cause the gpmg is a heavy hua ...
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Yes really , I donot care what you call it or the Army call it , its a belt fed full auto machine gun , a C9 in 7.62 or the MAG58 , I now which I would pick by a country mile , and its not the C9/Minimi , YES really .
    Maybe try stomping or jumping with one?

But seriously. Unless you have experience with both platforms, what you would pick is a bit like........

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 25-09-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    Savage1, Shooter, JonP and 4 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

"I think buying the LSW in 7.62mm was stupid , if you want a 7.62mm LMG , buy a real one , like the GPMG/MAG58" FAAAA you must be big. Section maneuvers with an FN-MAG is not fun, 11.79 kg vs 8.17 kg for the 7.62 minimi. No question for SFMG role or off a vehicle I want the MAG but otherwise...

R93
    Other considerations of an LMG/LSW is its role. The C9 can be mag fed with any AR type magazine. Very handy if you run out or cannot access your supply of link, when in the shit. The Belgian GPMG is a great bit of kit but its weight and cyclic rate suit DFSW, static and co-ax applications. (There are Para and lighter versions used by other forces around the world at section and det level)
    In saying that. We used to have to carry it and the Bren around until the C9 come into service. It payed to have a 6' 4" 105 kilo brut in your section. He was always the gunner no matter how good he was at other stuff
    ZG47 likes this.

Name:  20140330_124805.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  690.3 KB

I liked carrying the c9 ...... helped my street cred .... so young and so serious
    Bryan, Beaker, grunzter and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Other considerations of an LMG/LSW is its role. The C9 can be mag fed with any AR type magazine. Very handy if you run out or cannot access your supply of link, when in the shit. The Belgian GPMG is a great bit of kit but its weight and cyclic rate suit DFSW, static and co-ax applications. (There are Para and lighter versions used by other forces around the world at section and det level)
    In saying that. We used to have to carry it and the Bren around until the C9 come into service. It payed to have a 6' 4" 105 kilo brut in your section. He was always the gunner no matter how good he was at other stuff

Would have to be the thread with the most initialisms by a CM
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    😆 sorry.

LSW=light support weapon
    LMG=light machine gun
    GPMG=general purpose MG
    DFSW= Direct fire support weapon. (Sustained fire from a fixed mount for the gpmg)
    Co-ax= co-axiel machine gun used to range a larger main weapon and or strafe. Tanks, APC etc.
    Used to be called the LG43 iirc when mounted in a Scorpion or M113 APC

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SFMG=Sustained fire machine gun ie capable of maintaining a high rate of fire over a long time period.

did sustained fire for the Gurkhas when they had their morter team over using tracer to id the targets .... the link and brass kept my fingers warm between shots ....

Yeah I always wondered how much "Sustained Fire" the C9 could take after heating up both barrels on 400 rounds and the first one still being toasty hot while we swapped it back. No question though I thought they filled the squad role very well.

Apparently the one of the best SFMGs was the Vikers which due to the water cooling could keep up neer continous fire for hours on end. Not exactly portable though.

R93
    There is a Vickers in the Army museum that is said to have fired almost one million rounds in one week during the battle for the Somme.
    Tommy likes this.

Had a go on a russian m1910 maxim(great fun, prob 100 rounds), a couple of years ago. Still using the canvas belt etc.... What a testiment to good old engineering, but be buggered if you'd want to be on the team to move it around! (i make toby look fat, just to give a idea on my carry abliity )

As a side, i would have thought that any firearm/ weapon that you could grab anyone elses ammo and continue firing would be a advantage? Ie magazine and belt feed?
    Last edited by Beaker; 27-09-2015 at 11:15 PM.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

this was using the gymp ....not the c9 , I think if I remember I had to change barrels on the c9 every 250 rounds , only carried two with me ....

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    did sustained fire for the Gurkhas when they had their morter team over using tracer to id the targets .... the link and brass kept my fingers warm between shots ....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    As a side, i would have thought that any firearm/ weapon that you could grab anyone elses ammo and continue firing would be a advantage? Ie magazine and belt feed?
    Unfortunately the new LSW (7.62) does not have the same functionality but given that the only same caliber weapon with a mag is the DMW, it would have been a wasted feature anyway.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"