Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Leaving magazines loaded (legal issues?)

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post

The Arms Regulations require you to empty the magazine before transportation and storage.
    No they don't.

The Arms Regulations actually say that you CAN store ammunition with your firearms.

19 Conditions relating to security precautions
    (1) (ii) shall ensure that, where the ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is not capable of being discharged

It's also an offence under the arms act to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle
    No it isn't.

I've often just loaded up my new mags with spent cases to free up the springs etc to make loading easier

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    scottrods and csmiffy like this.

I just use revolvers no need for magazines, the number of times people have arrived at the range without their mags is amazing
    Paddy79, 40mm and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    The interesting case is the charger loading systems al-la Lee Enfield and Mauser, not a magazine but a hell of a lot quicker to load the firearm. If I have this correct, the original reason for the 7-round restriction in NZ is someone (that assisted with the technical details behind the original legislation when it was drafted) took a dim view of the Garand system with the 8-round chargers.
    Year I remember something along those lines.

Who every did it must have been watching to many WW2 moves as we have bugger all of those Granada in NZ
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Nothing stops you from filling a magazine with empty cases, or if you reload - just projectiles, no powder or primers.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I thought it was only an offence under the Land Transport Act, and reading that only appears to be an offence to have the loaded magazines in the firearm, it's talking about loaded firearms not loaded magazines.

There is nothing that I know of in legislation that states that you can't have loaded magazines in your home or car, providing that they're not attached to a firearm.
    Quite right, a loaded magazine does not equate to a loaded gun when said magazine is not in the gun. I recall there was a US case recently (relevant as case law, even in NZ) where police charged someone with carrying a loaded firearm on the basis of having a loaded mag next to an ammunition-free pistol. Judge dismissed the charge with reference to an English dictionary!

Still, does not look good having had a loaded mag ready to insert and having shot someone. Preferable to be up for having used the unloaded gun as a club - unless in deed one likes the thought of sitting in the sun under a giant magnifying glass... sshhzzzsplut.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I thought it was only an offence under the Land Transport Act, and reading that only appears to be an offence to have the loaded magazines in the firearm, it's talking about loaded firearms not loaded magazines.

There is nothing that I know of in legislation that states that you can't have loaded magazines in your home or car, providing that they're not attached to a firearm.
    That's interesting. I thought loaded magazines were not OK in a vehicle.

Fulla
    What about a rifle with a bolt in it in a vehicle? (No rounds or mag)
    I thought it wasn't ok. But one shop I brought from said yeah leave it in, it's ok.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I thought it wasn't ok. But one shop I brought from said yeah leave it in, it's ok.
    You don't have to remove the bolt.
    bully and john m like this.

P38
    How would we transport a semi-auto or a lever action if we had to remove the bolts?

Cheers
    Pete
    john m, Micky Duck and 40mm like this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Fulla
    How would we transport a semi-auto or a lever action if we had to remove the bolts?

Cheers
    Pete
    Well yes, it makes sense to me and you.
    But it was my understanding it was law or arms code, which often may not make sense.
    P38 likes this.

P38
    But it was my understanding it was law or arms code, which often may not make sense.
    True that.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Does someone have a list of differences between NZ Arms Act 1983 vs. the NZ Police Arms Code? It is very interesting or curious situation.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

While you may be able to have a rifle with the bolt in in you car why would you?
    That makes it more easy for someone to steal a functional rfile.

Personally I transport my rifles with bolts out of the rifles, bolts in a separate locked box in a bag.
    When I leave the vehicle rifles stay in the vehicle - illegal I think - but bolts in box in bag come with me.
    My logic is a rifle without the bolt in the car isn't a functioning firearm and isn't illegal but I'd rather not test this hypothesis.

Carrying rifles into a petrol station, cafe or bank would seem like a way to get the AOS out of bed so I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    While you may be able to have a rifle with the bolt in in you car why would you?
    That makes it more easy for someone to steal a functional rfile.

Personally I transport my rifles with bolts out of the rifles, bolts in a separate locked box in a bag.
    When I leave the vehicle rifles stay in the vehicle - illegal I think - but bolts in box in bag come with me.
    My logic is a rifle without the bolt in the car isn't a functioning firearm and isn't illegal but I'd rather not test this hypothesis.

Carrying rifles into a petrol station, cafe or bank would seem like a way to get the AOS out of bed so I don't.
    So much wrong here.

A rifle without a bolt is still a firearm and cannot be left unattended in a vehicle. In a locked vehicle in a petrol station forecourt is OK so long as you have eyes on it while inside paying or buying a pie or whatever. If the car is out of sight, you're in the wrong. If the car is at the bottom of a hill and you can see it from the top of the ridge a k away, you're in the wrong. You need to be able to intervene in a timely manner should someone attempt to break into your car.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    40mm likes this.