Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jakewire

Thread: Leica ER5 2-10x50

LOC

Leica ER5 2-10x50

I was sorting a scope for a new shooter and was looking at Zeiss HD5 / Kahles KX / Leupy VX6 / VX7 with the intention to probably get an HD5 (or a good looking VX7 I came across on a store shelf) but unexpectedly found myself walking out the door with a Leica ER5.

Good or bad call? I'm no optics expert but it was brighter than the Kahles or VX7 when comparing them on the street. Does anyone have one?

I've no experience with their scopes but have used lieca camera gear alot with work, they make exceptional quality lenses. Top notch stuff

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Not the same, a lesser one but I have a leica Er 2-10x42 or 44, l I really like it.
    clicks are a little close together , apart from that, yip.
    Glass is excellent.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Not the same, a lesser one but I have a leica Er 2-10x42 or 44, l I really like it.
    clicks are a little close together , apart from that, yip.
    Glass is excellent.
    thats good to hear. have you tried dialling it? does it return to zero ok?

Hi Loc. I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are now on this scope as I have been considering one.

I was looking at a S&B Klassik of the same specs. The reticle on this was so fine that I doubt it would have been visible at dawn or dusk, although it did have an illuminated reticle as a back up.

How fine is the ER 5 reticle?

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I haven't tried to dial it
    I put it on my 30 06 , it has a balistic reticle that works out to 400m never shot it further than that.
    LOC likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    Hi Loc. I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are now on this scope as I have been considering one.

I was looking at a S&B Klassik of the same specs. The reticle on this was so fine that I doubt it would have been visible at dawn or dusk, although it did have an illuminated reticle as a back up.

How fine is the ER 5 reticle?
    quite a different price point between the two of course

S&B is brighter and I have a German #4 on the FFP. Don't find it too fine at all, especially when zoomed in. If anything it all gets a bit heavy on full zoom

The ER 5 reticle is a standard duplex, second focal plane. Not that fine and what i'd consider a pretty standard duplex, but i haven't had it on a rifle yet to check it out. Would be great if they did that ER 5 with exposed or lockable turrets. only a higher magnification model has it