Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Lever action

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    How do I make that unseen?
    Sorry. You cannot. All you can do is learn from the experience and NOT do it again......But please note that it does one ting VERY VERY WELL!!!! It just made every other lever gun look amazing.....Its like standing nextto the ugly dude at work. He makes everyone look better....

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Lyman do one that needs no drilling
    Got one just wondered if Williams did one

Banned
    I have posted a picture of this rifle somewhere else, but I will add it to this thread to develope things, and because someone asked about Ubertis somewhere -

I now have a Winchester 73 made by Uberti. It is very well made, and works beautifully. They are not cheap, but are highly finished and all steel, walnut and brass. The 73 design is much different to the Winchester 94 and Marlins, effortlessly easy to work the lever, like running a Rolls Royce. It is in .44-40 caliber and I load cast bullets I make myself and black powder cartridges. THe rifle will shoot honest groups of between 1.0 and 2.0 inches at 100 metres with its best load depending on my mood on the day.

The only thing I did not care for were the factory sights, which were better for range shooting than hunting, and didnt suit my middle aged eyes. I have changed the sights to a silver bead front sight and a british express style open V rear, that is slotted in the factory dovetail, so the rear sight is about three inches further forward than standard.

I got rid of the colour case hardening because it was a bit flamboyant for me, and blued the receiver. It came out looking antiqued, which satisfies me.
    It is an octagonal barrelled short rifle - a 20 inch octagonal barrel. This makes the rifle probably a pound heavier than a round barrel, so it is about as heavy as a bolt action with scope, at 8 lbs. A pound heavier than a MArlin and two pounds heavier than a Winchester .30/30. (The 73's have bigger receivers also.)

Is it better than a Winchester 94 or a Marlin in 30/30? No, not really its not. But then its not about the best, its about what you like. It is quite different to use. As for its performance on deer, it has taken three so far, all as dead as if they were shot with a .30-30 or a .44 Magnum.
    (You can get it in .44 magnum and .357 Magnum as well as .45 Colt)

P38, scottrods, gadgetman and 6 others like this.

Name:  20170816_162512.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  1.12 MB
    Name:  20170816_162449.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  1.19 MB
    1993 model with Steel reciever.
    Bore is shiny AF.
    Soon to be Cerakoted, threaded for ASE suppreser, red dot sight to add.
    gadgetman and 7.62 like this.

First foray into the world of lever actions, a Winchester 44 mag. Never used an aperture sight before, be interesting to see how it goes

Name:  20170819_105949.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  338.0 KB

Compared to the using the factory sights you'll think its a target rifle!
    P38 likes this.

Banned
    I actually really like the factory sights on Winchester 94's. Can shoot very well with them. I have Lyman and Williams receiver sights as well but not on any rifles at moment.

took mine to the range today. Factory Remington 150gr ammo.
    best group at 50m bench rest. abour 2inches 3 shot group.

Name:  20170819_141102.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  477.1 KB

Best standing group.

Name:  20170819_141112.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  491.0 KB
    FatLabrador likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    I actually really like the factory sights on Winchester 94's. Can shoot very well with them. I have Lyman and Williams receiver sights as well but not on any rifles at moment.
    Love the finish on the uberti's receiver, nicely done.

I haven't actually tried the factory sights on my 94. I made a drift punch out of a bit of brass rod and took off both the buckhorn sight and front sight hood as soon as I got the rifle, and fitted a Williams aperture. I should've given the original sights a chance really, but it would appear that I have a lingering irrational subconscious dislike for buckhorn and U notch sights, which stems back to my days as a youngster when I switched from an air rifle to an open sight .22.

When I got hold of the 22 I had an expectation that I would be able to shoot small game and pests at all sorts of fantastic ranges compared to my beat up BSA slug gun. But the harsh reality was quite different! I remember a lot of misses and frustration early on, at ranges which in hindsight were way too f*ckin far for an open sight 22! Anyway people seem to rave about apertures as being more accurate with faster target acquisition than buckhorns so I guess we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Have a look at th Chiappa series as they do make very short pistol calibre lever actions. I didn't like the Rossi's personally but nothing wrong with them.
    i looked at the chiappa series and they all seem to be made of "pot metal" ie zinc! and that includes the 12 gauge lever action !

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    I have posted a picture of this rifle somewhere else, but I will add it to this thread to develope things, and because someone asked about Ubertis somewhere -

I now have a Winchester 73 made by Uberti. It is very well made, and works beautifully. They are not cheap, but are highly finished and all steel, walnut and brass. The 73 design is much different to the Winchester 94 and Marlins, effortlessly easy to work the lever, like running a Rolls Royce. It is in .44-40 caliber and I load cast bullets I make myself and black powder cartridges. THe rifle will shoot honest groups of between 1.0 and 2.0 inches at 100 metres with its best load depending on my mood on the day.

The only thing I did not care for were the factory sights, which were better for range shooting than hunting, and didnt suit my middle aged eyes. I have changed the sights to a silver bead front sight and a british express style open V rear, that is slotted in the factory dovetail, so the rear sight is about three inches further forward than standard.

I got rid of the colour case hardening because it was a bit flamboyant for me, and blued the receiver. It came out looking antiqued, which satisfies me.
    It is an octagonal barrelled short rifle - a 20 inch octagonal barrel. This makes the rifle probably a pound heavier than a round barrel, so it is about as heavy as a bolt action with scope, at 8 lbs. A pound heavier than a MArlin and two pounds heavier than a Winchester .30/30. (The 73's have bigger receivers also.)

Is it better than a Winchester 94 or a Marlin in 30/30? No, not really its not. But then its not about the best, its about what you like. It is quite different to use. As for its performance on deer, it has taken three so far, all as dead as if they were shot with a .30-30 or a .44 Magnum.
    (You can get it in .44 magnum and .357 Magnum as well as .45 Colt)

Nice work on that receiver very impressive that came out really nice
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I've had 3 levers. But all small ones compared to you lot.

Marlin mod 57M in 22 WMR. Nice little rifle but not that light. Shot most ammo Ok. Went in Late 1980's. Had a bad habit of retaining a round in the tube and then releasing it a week or 2 later.
    Ruger mod 96/22M. 22 WMR. Used the 9 shot rotary mags. Had a trigger birthday and a silencer. I could put a mag load into 1.5" at 100 mtr of hornandy 30gr or Remington 33 gr. Got too expensive to feed.
    Nice light, accurate, short throw leaver. A 44mag version was made for a couple of years.
    Savage 99 in 243, on its second barrel, was dads now mine. Does need a full length resize each reload. I normally work my loads up to the max load in the book and then drop back 1.5-2 gr so I know I have some margin for error and hot weather etc.
    only extraction problem I have had was old over worked brass head separation. When I looked at the other brass I could feel a groove inside the case with a pick. I shoot a lot of trail boss in it for short range goats. 58 gr Vmax at 2400 fps and 87 gr Vld at 2900 fps for deer.

What I dream of is one in 358win. Load some pistol rounds over trailboss and hit the goats.

Zane

Name:  70520-sil-30-30-marlin-336-w-blu-wd-16-threaded-189382.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  17.7 KB

I've been looking at picking up a lever action for use as a bush gun and want to try and keep it short. Anyone on here had any experience with these bad boys and if you have, what's the sights like considering they've been condensed? I was thinking about chucking DPT on her and wondered if anyone has got a can on their rifles.

Cheers

That shorterned sight radius is going to be a bit of a limiting factor Id say, a peep or red dot would be better unless your within 50 feet.
    keenbloke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    That shorterned sight radius is going to be a bit of a limiting factor Id say, a peep or red dot would be better unless your within 50 feet.
    My thoughts exactly which is why I figured I'd bring it to the forum haha