Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Markgibsonr25

Thread: Lite AR10, Gen2 DPMS, M & P 10, 22 Nosler

Lite AR10, Gen2 DPMS, M & P 10, 22 Nosler

Hey Gunnies,
    Like the rest of you safe is getting jammed up but still can't help browsing next acquisition...

Started looking bolt-gun long-range calibres 6.5 X 284, 300 win mag or one of the Noslers, or big boy 300 Norma.

Then ended somehow distracted to these new lightweight Ar 10's, well not the Armalites, but you know what I mean, the ones that take AR15 furniture not weigh a ton.
    300 blk, 6.8, and even the 6.5 Grendal just don't get me that excited over a .223!
    The new 22 Nosler launching heavy 77 TMK and 75 Bthp look good too, and much cheaper option.

The Gen2 DPMS's look the shit and at a reasonable price point. I like 308, but then a .260 or 6.5 Creed in a lite weight rig would be that much sweeter.
    Who's out there throwing one together?
    Parts for a build look a little tricky to get at the moment, even then if you want to go a 6.5 are you probably better to grab a Gen2 in 308 then put say an aftermarket Lija or Kreiger barrel, adjust gas block + decent rail?

Going from a 308 to say a .260 Rem should work ok with bolts, mags.
    Theoretically they say a 6.5 Creedmore works as well, 308 bolt/mag, i'm just a bit suspect on this one. Would be my preferred over the .260 as think will mag fit long projectiles better.

Interested in any feedback

i have a dpms gen 2 in 6.5 cr that started as 308. Lots of gunsmiths and fiddling to get it right.Not all ar15 stuff is compatible.I am to scared to add up the $ it cost me in the end.
    rossi.45 likes this.

POF has a small frame .308 rifle that is almost 1:1 the same size as a regular AR15. I think there are 3 or 4 different small frame designs now. Mega Arms has started cloning the DPMS GII pattern. The the DPMS GII's are dumb as fuck. They bought the design into the 21st century but kept "cool in 2005" configurations. I've generally given up on the AR10 idea. Will be building a Grendel.

I have been shooting a DPMS GII Lite Hunter in .308 (actually 7.62 NATO) for nearly a year and like it a lot. Using it every week on goat pig & deer. Much lighter and more compact than other AR .308's I looked at, and as you say some parts are AR15 compatible. As a hunting/pest control rifle it ticks all the boxes for me and runs reliably. If you start swapping out barrels and gas blocks then you're on your own!

I find the .308 ideal but the catalogue says it's also available in .243 Win .260 Rem and .338 Fed.