Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: M1-9mm Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Was asking Toby why he hasn't got his e-cat by now
    Why? I never saw why I needed too

As for AR no.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Why? I never saw why I needed too
    So you don't have pointless restrictions on the configuration of your guns
    specweapon likes this.

I don't have pointless configurations on my guns

Then again I don't have guns like an AR where I need to worry about them
    VIVA LA HOWA

Because you are young Toby - here's the principle-

Get every license that you possibly can get.

Over your lifetime, licenses of all types get progressively harder to get and split into multiple classes eg if you had the old driving license for trucks(HT) it split into classes 2 and 4 now
    Also being licensed for more classes enhances your freedom to own, modify and shoot more of whatever the fuck ya wanna shoot

Just my 2c
    Beaker, Banana, res and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    9mm AR?
    Cause some people still like real wood and blued steel. Those AR wood stocks look meh.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

M1-9 report.

Recently celebrated my BDay so decided to get the M1-9mm. Got a deal from the salesperson at GC so didnt pay ticketed price.

Its made by Chiappa in Italy. They are predominantly a cowboy action rifle and revolver producer but also dabble in modern clones of some guns as well.

Have heard some horror stories about their .22 M1 Carbine clone but decided to try the 9mm one out for myself as there are very few reviews on the net for the 9mm and Chiappa stated they had ironed out past issues and learned from there .22 disaster.

The carbine looks very close to a 30M1 USGI carbine but is metric so internals may not fit? There is less polymer on the 9mm than the .22, with the bayo lug sleeve, trigger guard assembly and barrel band plastic. The front and rear sights plus the receiver are aluminium and barrel, bolt etc steel (phew on that one). The stock is a very nice finish for the budget rifle that it is in Canada and the US (cant call $1200 here budget can ya) and has the oiler and sling cutouts but I haven't tested if it will take a USGI oiler.

The lil rifle weighs in at a fit n trim 5.8 pounds so is nice in light and you have to be careful when picking it up that you don't throw it up in the air and loose it in the clouds as its so light.
    The magazine is a Beretta 92 clone and pinned to 7 rounds. Beretta 92 and 96 mags will fit and function in the carbine, as well as good 92 clones like Taurus etc.
    Over all the fit n finish gives me no reason to complain and looks quite attractive in a cheeky impish type of way.

So far I have but 100+ rounds thru it with 100% function. No FTFs, FTE or jams/marmalade of any kind. These were all reloads I made up for my glock17. I also made up a few rounds with as much trailboss as I could fit in the little demunitive 9mm case without compressing of the trailboss (for all you reloading safety police who may be reading) and it even cycled those powder puff little rounds. Being blowback both my ap50n and trailboss loads were very dirty. But im pleased with the cycling as it was firm and threw the brass into a neat little pile at about 2 o'clock from the barrel. I didn,t have a target up so cant comment on accuracy as was shooting into a bank to test function and crony the ammo and didnt have time but will shoot for accuracy hopefully when I get time away from work and have put the red dot onto the nice lil dovetail on the receiver.
    I can tell you that the supersonic rounds made nice little dirt n grass explosions and a nice lovely thunk! as they hit home.

So with a 100 rnds thru her and no malfunctions (so far) I am a happy camper to date. Will be looking to get it threaded and suppressed for some real 9mm fun

Its no AR15 or the Mercedes of 9mm carbines the MP5 but im happy with it so far and its a looker just like its USGI classic counter part. Hopefully prices will drop so more of you can grab one and join in the 9mm carbine fun.

Will give an update when ive put another 100 or so thru. Cheers all.
    May all your actions cycle and brass eject!
    Kscott, Tikka7mm08, Toby and 1 others like this.

res
    Please keep us informed as the round count climbs
    Using Tapatalk

M1-9 update.

Chiappa m1-9 update.

Hi all.
    I have now but approx 500 plus rounds thru the carbine. Had issues when I placed the red dot above the action in the traditional way as the cases would bounce of the scope body and back down into the receiver jamming the action. So after finding a 11.5mm dovetail to weaver adaptor and a small amount of filing I managed to fit a standard weaver style ring on the front dovetail (note only one ring can fit on the front) and I moved the red dot forward into a scout style set up. My other rings that fitted on the strange 13mm dovetail where to low for the scope to sit forward of the action. The ring is holding so far without movement.

In this new scope set up the cases eject out with no issues again. I could have gone for higher rings but that would have raised my head to high from the cheek rest for my liking.

The only complaint I have is the receiver dovetail is not a true 3/8s but is actually 13mm and it wont accept all 3/8s rings and very few companies make true 13mm rings. Having a true 11mm or weaver sized dovetail would have been better for those wanting to fix a scope easily.
    If your happy with open sites then no probs at all.

I have also had the barrel threaded and have a MAE Extreme 9mm suppressor on it. Running subs in the 990fps range it cycles 100%. I did experiment with powders and in the 500 to mid 600 fps range it will not cycle fully but 700fps and over is fine. It also cycles all supersonic ammo fine.
    Suppressed subs are so pleasant and dont disturb the neighbours at all.

So apart from the empty cases bouncing back into the receiver with the 1st scope set up and the odd 13mm dovetail the gun is a little gem. Nice and light, quiet and low recoil.

Accuracy at 50m with 124gr subs has been between 2 and 2.5 inch groups (all 5 shot groups). Have not tested it at 100 yet. For a 9mm carbine I think that's not to bad. Hopefully at 100 the spread will not be much more, will have to wait and see. Will also try different projectiles and loads.

Name:  M1 9Carbine.jpg
Views: 4887
Size:  49.0 KB
    Scope set up where cases would hit scope body and bounce back in receiver.

Name:  080315 004.JPG
Views: 3569
Size:  354.1 KB
    Forward set up with only room for 1x ring on dovetail.

Name:  080315 001.JPG
Views: 5037
Size:  364.2 KB
    With MAE extreme 9mm suppressor.

So far I am happy with the lil M1-9. Just wish it came threaded from factory and had the larger weaver style rail. Then it would be even better.

Cheers.
    Beaker and res like this.

res
    I wonder if one of the scout rails made for a real m1 would fit, or could be made to fit.
    I had a ultamak one a few years ago and really liked it
    Using Tapatalk

Yes there is a brand of rail out there that does fit. I have seen a guy on a U.S forum with one on his Chiappa. May have been the ultamak but im not sure. Will look into that some more. But i really like the wood handguard look for some reason lol.

Update.

Hi all just a quick update. Not sure where I had posted the update before.

I have found that the M1-9 does not like flat nosed projectiles. They bind on the feed ramp causing misfeeds. I had purchased 147gr flat nosed to test but found 2 out of 7 would bind and misfeed. I will attempt to polish the ramp and see if this helps but I will be going back to round nosed projectiles as they worked 100%.
    Just FYI incase anyone was thinking of getting one of these and using flat nosed projectiles.

Cheers.