Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

moving poi Zeiss conquest?

The scope in question is a 3.5-10x44 an early one close to 10 years old. Aside from zero adjustments I have not cranked the turrets I only use this rifle out to about 250M so. If I make minor adjustments the tracking seems to behave as expected. The scope is mounted in a set of ultralight gentry rings and bases (no longer manufactured), these are a lightweight steel band that surrounds the tube and clips into the base and is locked into place with grub screws. They do look fairly flimsy but they have been on the rifle for ten years and as far as I'm aware they have been fine.

Virtually every time I check the zero on the rifle it has moved a couple of inches. The rifle still groups fine but the POI has shifted. The rifle is bedded in a Glass stock and is generously free floated. When the poi shifts I have come to the conclusion it is windage, the shift is usually to the left there is very little if any vertical change. I check the the rifle every month or two sometimes it is Ok but more often than not it is off. It is never any worse than a couple of inches. I don't experience this problem with my other rifles. I had wondered if the POI shift might reflect a bedding issue or differing holds (sometimes prone sometimes off a bench). However it shoots to the same POI off a harris as it does off shooting bags on a bench. At times I will put 10-20 rounds through it at the range checking loads (i have run the same homeload in it for a long time) and it doesn't shift over this period. The rifle is out on the hill a lot and gets the usual knocks and jars.

My plan is to try another mounting system and if that fails I guess the scope has issues.... What do you guys reckon is it the scope?
    Last edited by yerimaginaryM8; 22-10-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Re: moving poi Zeiss conquest?

Have heard of failure like this with zeiss. Chamge scopes for a while and try it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

R93
    Had one do the nearly the same thing. The vertical was good but windage was out by 7" if it went out, everytime. It was mounted in Conetrol rings. I thought it was a mate fiddling with it, as it seemed to only do it after he got his mitts on it. Replaced the scope never had an issue again.
    Never dialled my one either.

Sorry if its not what you want to hear.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Sounds like a normal conquest issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Have heard of failure like this with zeiss. Chamge scopes for a while and try it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    +1 The more you fiddle with the turrets the more likely the chance of problems like this. I had exactly the same trouble with a conquest and ended up changing the scope.

Caretaker

moving poi Zeiss conquest?

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Sounds like a normal conquest issue to me.
    Yes, i have had 3 or 4 conquests come to me with the same problem, and a weaver K4 last month which suprised me.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I'll try some other mounts just in case, but looks like it's the scope....

Thinking ahead to getting it repaired, I found a PDF on the web here that states I should send it to beretta NZ rather than to Zeiss direct. I originally bought the scope off ebay.

How have others handled getting repairs through Zeiss USA? and how was the turnaround time?

I sent mine back to the seller(4Scopes) and they sent it to the Zeiss crowd for fixing. Zeiss then sent it back to the seller, then it came back to me. Total turn round was about 2-3months ish. It was a bit frustrating because Zeiss didn't send a detailed worked done invoice back with the scope so no idea what was done. The second time I returned it 4Scopes asked for a work invoice, and it said the windage mechanism was replaced. By that time I'd lost confidence in it and replaced it.
    I have to say though that I have 2 other Conquests and they haven't given any problems, but, they aren't dialled either.