Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brooke

Thread: Need Ammo for 6.5x57R

Need Ammo for 6.5x57R

Hi,
    I have recently moved from Germany to NZ (Auckland). I have been hunting in Germany and have done the German hunting diploma.
    I have brought my hunting Firearms from Germany with me. Among them is a Blaser B95 over/under rifle with .30-06 and 6.5x57R calibers.
    Here in NZ I found out to my surprise, that 6.5x57R is not a common round (though very versatile). Nowhere can I find ammunition for my gun. Not even reloading seems possible.
    I would really appreciate if someone could help/guide me to get the ammunition, I would love to use both barrels of my gun.

Furthermore I am also looking for hunting opportunities. I am passionate wing shooter. Have plenty of experience in any kind of wing shooting (duck/goose/pheasant/dove/pigeon etc.).
    I would also love to do goat/deer hunting or any other pest control hunting. I have plenty of time and also willing to travel.

Cheers and Weidmannsheil;-).

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Welcome in , I'm sure some one will be able to help you out with the x57, unforunately you are in the north of the other island for me to give advice on hunting in you area or surrounds.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Welcome to the forum Weidmannsheil,

6.5x57R is rare in NZ, never seen it before. Get your mates in Germany to send you some empty cases and reloading dies. We have plenty of powder and 6.5 mm projectiles. Sounds like a nice rifle.

Finding private land especially close to Auckland is difficult. You will either need to know someone or be prepared to do a lot of door knocking. There is however a lot of public land within driving distance with deer and goats. If you have time you can also fly to the South Island which has lots of land.

Come alsong to North Auckland Deer Stalkers, we have at least one of your countryman who is a regular.

Thanks mate for your reply. Getting bras and dies from Germany seems to be a good way out, though getting them sent from Germany may not work (even if only empty shells), as Germans are very strict when it comes to firearms and ammunition (it took me over a year to get all the permissions to get my firearms out of Germany:-( Probably I will have to wait till my next trip to Germany and bring the stuff with me.

I have also requested S&B agent to import the ammunition for me, but it will take quite long.

I have visited Auckland Deerstalker meeting this week and was about to join them, now maybe I shall first visit North Auckland Deerstalker and decide later which one to join;-)

Deer stalking alone is not enough for me, need something to hunt more often;-) I am really wondering if we can hunt Canda Geese somewhere here, got all the gear (decoys, calls etc.) for that.

Don't panic there will be some available somewhere ... it just might take a bit of time to track them down.
    There were 7x57R cases available at Gunworks recently but now out of stock. I will talk to Robbie there on Monday and see what might be around.
    The NZ distributor for Sellier & Bellot are Ammunition - SR Marston Wholesale Fishing Hunting Sporting Goods
    and they would be a good bet for stocks or at least to get some in when the next shipment is ordered.
    Dies should be able to be ordered as they are a lot easier to import.

RWS Cases will be readily available from Australia. But the last 6.5x65Rs I brought in cost an awful lot due to the export permits to get out of Australia.
    100 cases will last you a lifetime once you finally get your hands on some.
    7x57Rs can be necked down and trimmed to function perfectly in the 6.5x57R if that is all you can get to get started on and have the correct dies.

I would be surprised if there aren't a few guys around with 6.5x57Rs in K95s lurking somewhere who might help you out.

very best of luck

Try Belmont ammunition co or NZRAC for that sort of stuff.
    Auf Wiedersen!

Thanks for your reply.

I am not in panic, as I already have purchased a .270 bolt action for the time that it might take me to get the 6.5x57R ammunition. Either, I shall get it through S&B importer or shall bring in bras and dies from Germany some time later.

As far as I have searched for the ammunition for my gun so far, it seems, that there are good chances of me getting in the history books of NZ as first one to bring in/introduce this caliber gun in NZ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Don't panic there will be some available somewhere ... it just might take a bit of time to track them down.
    There were 7x57R cases available at Gunworks recently but now out of stock. I will talk to Robbie there on Monday and see what might be around.
    The NZ distributor for Sellier & Bellot are Ammunition - SR Marston Wholesale Fishing Hunting Sporting Goods
    and they would be a good bet for stocks or at least to get some in when the next shipment is ordered.

RWS Cases will be readily available from Australia. But the last 6.5x65Rs I brought in cost an awful lot due to the export permits to get out of Australia.
    7x57Rs can be necked down and trimmed to function perfectly in the 6.5x57R if that is all you can get to get started on and have the correct dies.

I would be surprised if there aren't a few guys around with 6.5x57Rs in K95s lurking somewhere who might help you out.

very best of luck

I have previous looked at buying some metric cartridge brass from Germany and the gunshop that I was dealing with was Grauwolf (www.grauwolf.net). They had advised that they would be able to send brass and projectiles to New Zealand. They should be able to provide you with 6.5x57R bass (I have provided these details to someone else and they were able to bring in some RWS 6.5x68 RWS brass). Hope this helps.
    jakewire likes this.

If you haven't found any with ammo or brass with in the next few weeks, send me a PM, and I will see if I can bring sum back from Canada, when I fly back in December,
    6.5x57R S&B ammo is aviable here at tradeexcanada.
    nice choice of cal, well suited to NZ game.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Try Hugh Bradley of Gunmakers (Stager Sport) in Alexandra. He Imports stuff from Europe on a regular basis. May have that on the shelf.

very best of luck
    If that is the case, I think I have a bag of 50 7x57R cases around here somewhere. New Winchester ones, but its been a while. I will have a look later and let you know. As an aside, I have heard that 303 was also known as 7.7x57R but dont know how accurate that is.

If Robbie (Gunworks) does not have the dies etc then Reloaders in Onehunga might be worth a try for the dies too.

There is a Blaser K95 in 6.5x57R for sale on trademe

Blaser K95 | Trade Me

Its from Wilsons Hunting and Outdoors

Wilsons Hunting and Outdoors - Home

They might be able to help you out or put you in touch with the guy they are selling it for or who had it previously.
    There might be some cases or ammo available there.
    Just a long shot but worth a try.

Thanks mate for the hint.

That is quite interesting (the gun is a pure beauty).
    Just checked with them. They don't have the ammunition/brass either:-(

There is a Blaser K95 in 6.5x57R for sale on trademe

Blaser K95 | Trade Me

Its from Wilsons Hunting and Outdoors

Wilsons Hunting and Outdoors - Home

They might be able to help you out or put you in touch with the guy they are selling it for or who had it previously.
    There might be some cases or ammo available there.
    Just a long shot but worth a try.