Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: New police online licence process.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Just went through it today. Was actually really easy and bloody quick. Quicker and more efficient than the old way
    I just took the completed form into the cop shop and a few hours later the seller had an email from the police confirming I'm a good bugger...

Pleasantly surprised.

Yes,sounds fast. Sadly my experience went more like this.

Walks to counter,hands form to desk jockey.
    Can I see your licence?
    WHY ?
    we need to see you have one.
    I hold it up so it can be read.
    Its expired ! and tries to take it.
    I hold it back out of reach and explain WHY its expired etc (I went for my new licence last july,and despite ringing every week since xmas,still don't have the damn thing but" its coming within the next week and keep an eye out for it,in the meantime keep your old licence and its valid from the time it expired for ten years".)
    Explain all this to the domkopf at the desk who then says its illegal to use an expired firearms licence blah blah.
    I laugh,(nervously) and ring the firearms officer whose number I have in my mob and ask him to come rescue me from the front desk guy who is making up laws as he thinks them up.
    Get the hell out of there...

still receive rifles a week later so all is well with the world.. till next time .

According to the local shops im not by any means the only one in the same boat. Seems the licences are being hand embossed one by one and hand delivered by a old man on foot.Again, one at a time. Lucky I got in before it expired or id really be waiting a while.
    veitnamcam, AzumitH and outlander like this.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Ok so your license is still valid for ten years even if it's expired?
    Um how? Do you mean if you have applied for a new one before the old one has expired?
    Or do you mean as you have stated, not trying to start a mud sling match here just generally interested.
    veitnamcam and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oneipete View Post
    in the meantime keep your old licence and its valid from the time it expired for ten years".).
    Ya, na. If your licence has expired. It's expired. Which means it is no longer valid. Your licence is not issued for 20 years.

You may still have a valid licence without having a Licence Card which is current, but under no circumstances is an expired licence valid for another 10 years after it expires.

Explain all this to the domkopf at the desk who then says its illegal to use an expired firearms licence blah blah..
    That's because it IS illegal.

I laugh,(nervously) and ring the firearms officer whose number I have in my mob and ask him to come rescue me from the front desk guy who is making up laws as he thinks them up.
    Get the hell out out
    Your AO appears to be the one "making up laws as he thinks them up."
    veitnamcam, zimmer and outlander like this.

Ok, I applied for my Licence Renewal well before my old one expired.
    Still have the old one,just the new one has not arrived in mail yet.
    Arms officer Said my New licence(the one that hasn't arrived) is valid from when the last one ran out, and said to keep using my old one till new one arrives and that theres a bunch of others out there in Waikato in the same boat.
    Gave me his direct dial number to use if any gunshops give me grief etc.
    3 local gunshops say its pretty common since late last year and personally know of 2 other locals in the same boat.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Ok, I applied for my Licence Renewal well before my old one expired.
    Still have the old one,just the new one has not arrived in mail yet.
    Arms officer Said my New licence(the one that hasn't arrived) is valid from when the last one ran out, and said to keep using my old one till new one arrives and that theres a bunch of others out there in Waikato in the same boat.
    Gave me his direct dial number to use if any gunshops give me grief etc.
    3 local gunshops say its pretty common since late last year and personally know of 2 other locals in the same boat.
    Quite right. The Firearms license is a permission / verification that we are citizens that are allowed to own firearms.. Proof of this is the plastic identi card (for want of a better term) that states you have a license. The license is not the thing you keep in you wallet (or wherever) That is just the proof of license you are given. One your renewal is approved then you are licensed for a further 10 years. You are then issued a new card stating this. Too many people think the license is the card when its not. If someone else obtains YOUR license card, that does not mean they have a license. It means they are holding your proof that you have a license. To use it they have to impersonate you as you are still the license holder.

Have a question about the mail order form. It states 'Type of firearm(s) the ammunition will be used in' do you have to answer that question.
    Could I put 'One that goes Bang Bang bang.

Name:  Mail_order_form.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  35.4 KB
    Tommy, 300CALMAN and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post
    Have a question about the mail order form. It states 'Type of firearm(s) the ammunition will be used in' do you have to answer that question.

Attachment 77874
    I usually just write in the caliber - I.e 308 win

I’ve been tempted o write “nice ones” but not sure they’ve got much of a sense of humour...

Attachment 77874
    An a-cat (insert calibre here)

Previous occasions on these forms and others with pointless questions I have written N/A and haven't had any issues.
    outlander likes this.

Attachment 77874
    I leave it blank or crossed out. Not required.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    outlander likes this.

So my passport expired back in January didn't notice at lest I got my money's worth out of its poxy five yeat life span.
    Applied for a new one on Friday the 27th via online thingy. Just went for standard delivery 6to10 working days.
    Turned up Monday the 1st.
    Now that's fast! Shame we can't get the same turn around with an FAL. Even 6-10days would be better (not counting home visit etc) once process has taken place.
    outlander likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I got a replacement Brit passport in under 30 hours in 2008
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

This was the kiwi one the uk one I think they give lessons to the nz firearms department in go slow
    2008 PRE brexit back in the good old days.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    This was the kiwi one the uk one I think they give lessons to the nz firearms department in go slow
    2008 PRE brexit back in the good old days.
    Brexit hasn't happened yet, this was because they no longer have facilities in Welly like they used to. Should really get around to getting a black passport
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I got a replacement Brit passport in under 30 hours in 2008
    That's coz you were the only one for that month to admit you were a pom

I just redid my Canadian passport as my last one expired in 2015.

What a rigmarole. Had to totally reapply as my expired passport was no use. They changed everything rule wise.

However after compiling everything and sending it off they said it would take 20 buisness days.
    I had it inside a week.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Paddy79 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.