Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: New rifle, scope question

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    Bunnings will have some cheap sets... Don't be too cheap though...
    thinking of getting some loctite 222 and just a set of torx keys. Will tighten em up to just that "right feel" of tightening, and then the loctite should keep em in place? .
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

Check out the NSA's YouTube video for setting up a scope for success..

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

I had a gunshop mount a scope way too far forward for me once (before I had learnt to mount them myself). I asked the guy and he insisted it was right, not knowing better I said ok and went off home.

Went through a couple of boxes of ammo trying hopelessly to get a consistent group and sight in. It was my first centrefire (Ruger 308) so I wondered if my technique was wrong being used to rimfires, whether I had bought a dud rifle, whether I just had to keep trying different ammo until I found what it liked, etc.

Eventually I realised how much I was straining my neck forwards to get a sight picture, moved the scope back 15-20mm and my groups instantly dropped from all over the place 3-5" @ 100yds to a pretty consistent 1.5" with the same (cheap) ammunition.

A useful lesson to learn...
    Biggun708 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Your eye is inthe right position when you can see clearly though tne sight with no grey/ black blurriness round the edge.

To check its right you bring the gun up to your shoulder with eyes closed . Then open and your eye should be in the right spot. You'll find ideal mounting is a bit further back forstanding anda bit further forward for lying down. (prone).

You'II need to set the crosshairs Vertical too. set sCOpe to lowest power so the image (exit pupil) it big, Then by eye lookup and down the vertical crosshair to check the Vertical hair goes straight toward the center of the barrel ,

most people mount and adjust their Own scopes.
    What I do to get mine vertical is put the gun in the soft jaws of the vice and use a spirit level on the top of the bases (or across any flat horizontal surface on the rifle itself) then make sure it is secured in the vice. Once this is done check that the rifle is still level.
    (across the rifle, as forward back along the rifle wont matter while doing this, it will be presumed that the scope rings will end up being parralell to the bore)

The while the scope is slightly loose in the rings, use the spirit level to check the turret on top is also level. (as long as it is flat across the top which most are.). Tighten and check level again. Tightening the screws on one side can "pull" the scope over so this last check is definitely warranted.
    TheJanitar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    What I do to get mine vertical is put the gun in the soft jaws of the vice and use a spirit level on the top of the bases (or across any flat horizontal surface on the rifle itself) then make sure it is secured in the vice. Once this is done check that the rifle is still level.
    (across the rifle, as forward back along the rifle wont matter while doing this, it will be presumed that the scope rings will end up being parralell to the bore)

The while the scope is slightly loose in the rings, use the spirit level to check the turret on top is also level. (as long as it is flat across the top which most are.). Tighten and check level again. Tightening the screws on one side can "pull" the scope over so this last check is definitely warranted.
    Okay that makes perfect sense thank you! Sounds easy enough. Hopefully can get a hold of some tools to do the job soon. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post

Until you get a rail or some rings machined on the piss this will work
    Nibblet and Biggun708 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Eyeometer... Every time... Let's not over complicate things..

Quote Originally Posted by TheJanitar View Post
    Hahaha funny guys okay cool, good to hear some confirmations of my suspicion. So many little things to learn! I like it should probably invest in a torque screw driver set then huh.. Any (cheap) recommendations? Don't want to buy rubbish but also Lowkey broke now the screws in my Talley lightweights are the star kind.
    the "star types" are torq screws, if the have a pin facing upwards in the middle of the screw they are "security torq)
    my burris rings had torq's and it took a massive amount of heat and force to undo them from factory tight. dont wreck the screw head trying, if it doesnt undo easily take it back to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    the "star types" are torq screws, if the have a pin facing upwards in the middle of the screw they are "security torq)
    my burris rings had torq's and it took a massive amount of heat and force to undo them from factory tight. dont wreck the screw head trying, if it doesnt undo easily take it back to the shop.
    Probably because someone put loctite on the screws... It's just not necessary...
    TheJanitar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    Probably because someone put loctite on the screws... It's just not necessary...
    Agree, I don't bother, never had an issue.
    Biggun708 and TheJanitar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    machined? the rings i got with the scope are lapped. is that the same thing?

okay cool, wont bother with the loctite then

machined? the rings i got with the scope are lapped. is that the same thing?

okay cool, wont bother with the loctite then
    There can be a number of things that affect alignment. The action could be out, the bases could be out of alignment, mounting screws on action for bases or rail could be out of true, the rail could be machined out of true.

But in general terms its not something to worry about, but you might if you get into long range.

All I mean is I personally don't solely rely on the mounts being true to set up my scopes. I use levels, plumbs and eycometer

The end goal is to get the vertical line of the scopes cross hair perfectly in line with the vertical centre of the bore

before i make a new thread.. posting this question here.

Is there anyone in the southern auckland region that may be able to help me sort my scope and sight in my rifle? Was gonna make a separate thread about sighting it in but i thought itll be a better idea to get that done and sort the scope at the same time with an an experienced hunter/shooter's help. (And dont worry, Only need to be shown this one time then im sorted ) Dont wanna "screw" things up, as i realized it can be an expensive mistake.. Will save me so much hassle with gun ranges and gunsmiths if someone on here who knows what theyre doing might be able to help. BIG PLEASE guys

And thanks for everyones input thus far! much appreciated
    Gibo likes this.

That would be the go mate.

BTW in August I can advise you when it is raining in Sweden
    Nibblet likes this.

before i make a new thread.. posting this question here.

Is there anyone in the southern auckland region that may be able to help me sort my scope and sight in my rifle? Was gonna make a separate thread about sighting it in but i thought itll be a better idea to get that done and sort the scope at the same time with an an experienced hunter/shooter's help. (And dont worry, Only need to be shown this one time then im sorted ) Dont wanna "screw" things up, as i realized it can be an expensive mistake.. Will save me so much hassle with gun ranges and gunsmiths if someone on here who knows what theyre doing might be able to help. BIG PLEASE guys

And thanks for everyones input thus far! much appreciated
    And can you help the young bugga in the next week or so..I've promised him I'll take him bush ..it'd be good if he can shoot his first deer with the new rifle...
    gadgetman, Gibo and TheJanitar like this.