Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New setup

New setup

Hey team

Have done a couple of trips down around Mt Cook for Tahr, used my nice 308 woodstock rifle which has taken a beating, definitely won't be using it again. Absolutely love Tahr hunting and I'm wanting to get a new setup for it. I like the idea of being able to shoot out to between 100/400M

Considering a Tikka T3 in 270, suppressing it maybe with 4-16x50. I am budgeting for around 3k max for setup.

Unsure whether I should also be considering 7MMRM or 270RM..

This setup wouldn't just be for S.I, would use it N.I too. 4x16x50 maybe overkill.

Any thoughts from the experienced is much appreciated!

I have never hunted shaggy goats but my thoughts would be .284 or 7RM. 270 has pretty pooh projectile selection imo. Scope sounds good.
    ebf and nevereadyfreddy like this.

Nothing wrong with 270 for tahr (I use a .280rem), but if I was going new set up I'd probably go 7mm rem mag, 4-16x50 with dial-able turrets would be good (even 3-15x50 - which I use for all round scope) and either throw a DPT suppressor or a brake on it. Out of the box accuracy/weight/durability Tikka would be the go. Reason I'd go 270 vs. 7 rem mag, you'll probably want to end up shooting further than first thought and 7 rem mag will let you do this more or less out of the box.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Nothing wrong with 270 for tahr (I use a .280rem), but if I was going new set up I'd probably go 7mm rem mag, 4-16x50 with dial-able turrets would be good (even 3-15x50 - which I use for all round scope) and either throw a DPT suppressor or a brake on it. Out of the box accuracy/weight/durability Tikka would be the go. Reason I'd go 270 vs. 7 rem mag, you'll probably want to end up shooting further than first thought and 7 rem mag will let you do this more or less out of the box.
    I see. I'm definitely not at the stage of loading my own rounds, would be interested in doing this later down the track once I'm more experienced.

In regards to suppressors, there's obviously DPT, Greystone, Gunworks & Hardy. Any reason you would be specifically going with DPT?

DPT - Weight, PRICE, quality, size and customer support is very hard to beat.
    7mmsaum, Kiwi Greg, GWH and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

DPT is the only way to go for a hunting rifle set up.
    Mate get into reloading. I just bought a Tikka 7mmRemMag myself and the loading components (with good brass) was only $400 - excluding the press n shit as I already reload but anyway - packet ammo at the local HnF was $104 for Fucking 20 shots. Complete rip off.

I use a 270 and hand load 150 gr projectiles for and it does the job well but if I was after a Tahr gun it would be a 7mm Rem Mag at a minimum for the extra knock down power and range. I don't like noise so a suppressor is a must for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    I use a 270 and hand load 150 gr projectiles for and it does the job well but if I was after a Tahr gun it would be a 7mm Rem Mag at a minimum for the extra knock down power and range. I don't like noise so a suppressor is a must for me.
    The setup won't be specifically for Tahr, I can see it becoming an allrounder. Having said would the .270 be a better option?

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    The setup won't be specifically for Tahr, I can see it becoming an allrounder. Having said would the .270 be a better option?
    No. Don't bother with 270 is my advise, 7RM does everything much better with less boot and no gay stigma attached.
    Antz likes this.

Not in my opinion

Not in my opinion
    Have you never been called gay for owning a 270?
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Have you never been called gay for owning a 270?
    No I mean he should get a 7 rem mag over .270 - you just beat me to it

No I mean he should get a 7 rem mag over .270 - you just beat me to it
    Ha ha ok cool, you are back in the good books

7rm is easy and does the trick well on tahr

I think I only ever shot one with mine, the rest I shot with the .243

4-16 would be sweet, just get comfy shooting 200m+ and learn your incline and decline adjustments, as they were the biggest reason I saw people missing