Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: New shooter advice.

Ejected
    Thanks for the warm welcome and for the help.

I should get a .308, but that would mean the old guy is right...
    Tommy likes this.

Or you could look at it this way - if you get a 308 and shoot better than the old man he'll have no excuses...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

Gibo likes this.

Get my Tikka 7-08 suppressed and i will throw a set of dies so you can start reload when you ready.
    I know i am going against many here but i am sure it will be the best deal and rifle for your first one.
    PM me for more info if you interested or just have a look on buy, sell and swap threads.

Welcome to the forum, old guys normally are

Quote Originally Posted by ONYVA View Post
    old guys normally are
    Well, i have a 72yo who learn quiet few things from a "newer" fallow. LOL!
    We "old buggers" are almost always right.
    Any of the calibers we have will do damage and kill any game around, so as said before, try before you buy if possible and them choose what make you comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

Yep, but the good thing you can borrow his ammo

Get a 308 mate and when you get into reloading you can load em up for dad and claim his success's as yours too

You could also consult this excellent resource and research each calibre you're interested in:

Knowledgebase
    Tommy likes this.

He's right about the .308 reasons below....

Great advice above, probably too early to go to 6.55 x 55 or .260 as great calibres but ideally need to reload for performance out of 6.5 and availability of ammo for .260
    .270 is a great NZ hunting calibre, maybe the best alround, who knows...but probably not for starting out, my opinion recoil, noise etc.

Think it is a toss up between the 7mm08 and 308.
    7mm08 is probably our most popular cartridge for new hunters for good reason, and in a Tikka, for good reason.
    But where 308 comes out on top is ammo.

You can buy cheap Federal FMJ or Barnaul for a buck a round that is accurate to practice with and get to know your rifle, learn to shoot and also steal your old mans if needed.
    Use $2-3 shot ammo for hunting, 20" barrel with a suppressor, get whatever calibre you want next rifle but always keep the 308 handy.
    308 and Hunt4life like this.

either 308 or 270 is a good cal, I would say 270 is the perfect all round cal for NZ conditions. Don't listen to what people say about recoil, people afraid of recoil on larger calibres need to seriously harden up, you will only ever notice recoil on the range sighting in, I can assure you when pointing at a deer you will never notice the recoil.
    veitnamcam, HUNTY and Dougie like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Oneshot is correct, there's not much difference in recoil between .270 and .308 and you might not even notice....but

Last week was hunting with fella similar to Ricochet and he peeled off nice shot around 230m with his .270 dropped his first deer, a fallow like a sack of shit, no holdover or anything such a flat shooter, boom.
    On recovering animal, very large hole out other side, yeah job done but seemed a wee bit overkill and start thinking maybe he also get a .223 or .243 for that sort of hunting, fallow goats etc now 2 rifles, whereas 7mm or .30 could maybe get by on one gun?

Either way can't go wrong with all calibres mentioned above, get out there amongst it and I could see a point with a .270 having maybe a slightly bigger stick.
    Put it this way, if I was hunting with my brother and he had a .308, I would definitely get a .270, or more likely 7mm or .300 mag ha ha!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    either 308 or 270 is a good cal, I would say 270 is the perfect all round cal for NZ conditions. Don't listen to what people say about recoil, people afraid of recoil on larger calibres need to seriously harden up, you will only ever notice recoil on the range sighting in, I can assure you when pointing at a deer you will never notice the recoil.
    But if you've punished yourself too much with the recoil at the range you'll probably flinch and miss the deer anyway. Especially if you're a new shooter and haven't learnt to deal with the recoil yet.
    Dougie, Toby and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    But if you've punished yourself too much with the recoil at the range you'll probably flinch and miss the deer anyway. Especially if you're a new shooter and haven't learnt to deal with the recoil yet.
    I stand by what I say, its a rifle not a cannon, don't be a limp wrist and harden up, these are sporting hunting rifles not 50 cal barretts.
    HUNTY and Spudattack like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Banned
    Ive shot red stags in the Kaimais with a 22.250 . 243 . 270 . 308 . 8mm . 303 - Pigs are there in small numbers .243 and above will do for all animals in the Kaimais You are welcome to try any 1 of my rifles at the Taupo range if that helps . the 243 8mm & 303 I don't have anymore . If you want a good pig gun I have a 9.3 x 57 in good condition with a big slug and is nice to use

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I stand by what I say, its a rifle not a cannon, don't be a limp wrist and harden up, these are sporting hunting rifles not 50 cal barretts.
    A 50 cal has less kick than a 270 IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk