Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: New shooter advice.

Depends on the stock. Ive shot a few 50 cals
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

New shooter advice.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Depends on the stock. Ive shot a few 50 cals
    Yes I've owned 1 and it kicked less than any 270 I've shoot.
    I'm more going with others get the 308 over the 270 for starting out.
    Have fun picking any of sensible cals will see you good, practise lots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with a 308, my personal preference if I didn't have my 7mm-08.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Down with .308 personally too, great choice if you prefer a semi auto.

It always amuses me when someone thinks a 270 is 'flat shooting' because they didn't hold over at 200m.

Get a 30-06 best of both worlds :p
    Spudattack likes this.

Both cals you mentioned are great i love both 6.5 and 7mm however if you are new you wont be handloading ammo so id go the 7mm-08 over 6.5 as off the shelf ammo is better what ever you do dont get sucked into a 270 not a ideal 1st gun they boot like motherfuckers ivevspent alot of time at the range patching newbies up after they scoped them selfs with there 1st rifle fuckin 270 and it wont do anything that 7-08 can't with half the recoil
    GravelBen likes this.

Hi Ricochet, I am new to this forum but have been shooting for a while. One thing to be aware of is the weight of the rifle will affect how you feel recoil i.e. a super light .308 may kick more than a heavy .270, also as mentioned the stock design will make a big difference. A suppressor will also cut down recoil. I shoot a Tikka 595 (an older version - Tikka heavy) in .308 with a 20 inch barrel and a suppressor. I find the slightly heavier rifle has less felt recoil and is a bit more stable for standing shots. The most important thing is that it fits you and shoots well. Total agree with the others, get yourself a .22 for practice and burn off lots of rounds first. Get some coaching at the local range if possible.

Well said and welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Hi Ricochet, I am new to this forum but have been shooting for a while. One thing to be aware of is the weight of the rifle will affect how you feel recoil i.e. a super light .308 may kick more than a heavy .270, also as mentioned the stock design will make a big difference. A suppressor will also cut down recoil. I shoot a Tikka 595 (an older version - Tikka heavy) in .308 with a 20 inch barrel and a suppressor. I find the slightly heavier rifle has less felt recoil and is a bit more stable for standing shots. The most important thing is that it fits you and shoots well. Total agree with the others, get yourself a .22 for practice and burn off lots of rounds first. Get some coaching at the local range if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrunkfish View Post
    Get a 30-06 best of both worlds :p
    +1. No difference between them using 130-150 grain that I can notice in any of the three 308, 270, 30-06 when it comes to recoil but the 30-06 will throw them faster.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 260hunter View Post
    +1. No difference between them using 130-150 grain that I can notice in any of the three 308, 270, 30-06 when it comes to recoil but the 30-06 will throw them faster.
    Not sure about handloads but factory 30-06 is bugger all faster (<100fps) than a 308 with 150g or lighter, just less efficient and makes a bigger bang doing it.

I noticed a fair bit more recoil from 270 than 308 firing them back to back, haven't met many people who would suggest otherwise! Not a problem for some of us, but I can see how it is an issue for others.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 05-12-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    My 30 06 with a 22" barrel chronys at just over 2900 average with factory 150gr Winchester power points, and thats the average of a considerable amount of shots over several sessions with cold to medium warm barrels, there is some spread, though the accuracy is very good, good enough that I bought ten packets of the factory stuff.
    I could never get more than 2750 out of my 22" barrelled 308 with 150gr sst handloads, I expect to do a little better than 2900 with the 30 06 with that sst bullet or the BTs whilst maintaining good accuracy.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A sample size of one isn't exactly conclusive given the variation between individual rifles... comparing like for like factory velocity claims (which should be identical test method averaged from a number of rifles), there is generally 80-100fps difference.

Is the small advantage worth the extra noise, recoil etc? Personal taste, but not to me.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 05-12-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Correct, personal taste,I should have said my last 308.
    I've never had a 308 I've gotten on with yet and it certainly hasn't been for lack of trying or accuracy.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Not sure about handloads but factory 30-06 is bugger all faster (<100fps) than a 308 with 150g or lighter, just less efficient and makes a bigger bang doing it.

I noticed a fair bit more recoil from 270 than 308 firing them back to back, haven't met many people who would suggest otherwise! Not a problem for some of us, but I can see how it is an issue for others.
    Yep, I've shot both and back to back the 270 was definately the sharper recoiler. Slap a can on either and both are pretty managable on the range. My 52 kg missus can shoot a 308 tikka without a hint of flinch so most average size men should manage