Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Night Vision scope

Ejected

Night Vision scope

Who's got what and how reliable?

Something that would be good out to say 100 metres give or take, but it must be reliable and robust.

Buy the one that Spanners is selling (see for sale section)

Anything GenI you're literally better off burning your money for light to shoot by, most of GenII isn't much better, some of the new GenII "SHP" is okay but costs significantly more than GenIII (Photonis XR5, look up the prices and be prepared to cry)

Really you need to shop around for some US GenIII which has made its way overseas. Do not buy anything ATN.

If you want something legit usable, you'll be paying a lot of money.

Has anyone tried that Newcon Optik brand of night vision now in NZ?? Apparently they have US/ITAR Exportable Gen 3 gear but I don't know any more that that.

Oh and those ATN Fusion combined Thermal/Night vision unit look choice, though I doubt we'll see them here any time soon.

The Newcon Optik tubes for their GenIII look not terrible, usable. Price is pretty well up there though even buying in Canada, I shudder to think what they'd cost by the time they got here.

The Newcon's are for sale here,

Newcon NV207-G2+ Monocular Night Vision | Trade Me

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    As Gimp said - buy mine!

What you have in a Newcon is a cheap housing (China?) - they are simply rubbish
    I had a play with one in the US earlier this year and I initially thought it was a kids toy it was that bad

An 'exportable' Gen 3 tube is going to be pretty low specs, basically same as Gen 2- I have the info here somewhere but cant be arse digging it out

Re: Night Vision scope

Thanks spanners, thats good to know. I thought since gen 4 is out now in the US maybe they were relaxing on gen 3.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Gen4 isn't really a thing

Take Gimps advise and buy Spanners Gen3 D-760. I can get you the D-740 & D-760 with Photonis tubes and in XR5, won`t be better than Spanners Gen3 . $14`000 for the XR5 ($20`000 from Gun City). Can do them also with Photonis SHP tubes which are the XR5 & XD4 downgraded due to some slight imperfection or when they have crunched the numbers they have not quite made milspec $6500-$7000.
    U.S exportable Gen3 has a Max FOM of 1250............... CRAP!! the Gen2+ gear from Photonis is between FOM 1300-1700.
    If Spanners unit ever shits itself I can get parts for it though not the Gen3 Pinnical tube. Hell if I was looking for another scope Id buy Spanners and hes asking a reasonable price for it as well.
    Darrin
    Last edited by Tasbay; 13-11-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    The Newcon Optik tubes for their GenIII look not terrible, usable. Price is pretty well up there though even buying in Canada, I shudder to think what they'd cost by the time they got here.
    The Newcon Gen3 has Katod Russian Gen3 tubes, as far as I understand, they are not U.S manufactured. With all this gear you have to be very careful about exactly what you are buying. Have a look at my TM listing at the moment. In Q&A a bloke has advised me he can get PVS-7B Night Vision Goggles from a outfit called night vision guys in the U.S with gen2+HP tubes for $3500 plus freighting expences.Way less than PVS-7B Goggles cost me at dealer prices.
    But when I look at it they have Russian tubes with a FOM of between 480 & 900....... absolute crap, he should stick with a spotlight.
    Just be damned careful !!!!

Yeah the Newcon ones advertise a FOM of 1600, their spec sheet looks ok but I just don't trust anything non US geniii

I know where there is a brand new unused PVS14 with accessory kit and OMNI V tube but it's a bit old for me.

$6000NZ if anyone wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    As Gimp said - buy mine!

What you have in a Newcon is a cheap housing (China?) - they are simply rubbish
    I had a play with one in the US earlier this year and I initially thought it was a kids toy it was that bad

An 'exportable' Gen 3 tube is going to be pretty low specs, basically same as Gen 2- I have the info here somewhere but cant be arse digging it out
    Spanners are you talking about the Newcon NV207-G2+ or Newcon in general ?.
    The NV207-G2 is a cheeper Nightvision option and is priced accordingly - but there Gen3 XT is as good as any Gen3 available - to say any 'exportable' Gen 3 is going to have low specs is hardly fair.
    I've used the Newcon NV33 Gen 3 was very impressed with the quality of the manufacturing and the clarity tube.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 300MAG View Post
    Spanners are you talking about the Newcon NV207-G2+ or Newcon in general ?.
    The NV207-G2 is a cheeper Nightvision option and is priced accordingly - but there Gen3 XT is as good as any Gen3 available - to say any 'exportable' Gen 3 is going to have low specs is hardly fair.
    I've used the Newcon NV33 Gen 3 was very impressed with the quality of the manufacturing and the clarity tube.
    Newcon housings in general being crap, toy, rubbish...
    As Tasbay has quoted - the FOM at max 1250 for Exportable Gen3 is less than that of Gen2 - unfortunately its a fact that the specs are shite.

No offence, maybe you havnt used any good gear??

P. sure exportable geniii is FOM 1600 max

Also p. sure that's irrelevant if tube is sourced from outside USA

Also p. sure I wouldn't give someone $5400CA for a tube of unknown origin/quality, in a housing of unknown origin/quality.

Maybe if I got to use one first I'd think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Newcon housings in general being crap, toy, rubbish...
    As Tasbay has quoted - the FOM at max 1250 for Exportable Gen3 is less than that of Gen2 - unfortunately its a fact that the specs are shite.

No offence, maybe you havnt used any good gear??
    Well I like to think I have - BUT I've also had the chance to compare several models at once (on a dark cloudy night), one of Tasbays Gen 2+ and yes I was very surprised at the quality compared to a earlier Gen 2+ I had used extensively hunting.
    The body's of the NV 7 Gen 3 and the PVS 7 Gen 2+ looked very similar very lightly constructed(but both to military spec) - where as the NVS 33 looked of stronger construction.
    And comparing to Gen 2+ and Gen 3 whether its 'FOM 1250' or whatever spec there was NO comparison the Gen 3 by a country mile.

I have used a NVS 33 for over 2 years now got it from Grant at Trueflite. Use it like a spotlight hand held (must get a headmount one day) then when I need to shoot slip it onto my scope, worked very well so far.
    100% better that my old Gen 2+ scope mounted on my rifle, very hard to use for spotting had to stop find a rest to get a good look through scope.