Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Night Vision scope

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    P. sure exportable geniii is FOM 1600 max

Also p. sure that's irrelevant if tube is sourced from outside USA

Also p. sure I wouldn't give someone $5400CA for a tube of unknown origin/quality, in a housing of unknown origin/quality.

Maybe if I got to use one first I'd think about it.
    FOM 1250 max is for tube Exports out of the U.S and also includes tubes imported into U.S.A and then exported out again. Tubes manufactured outside of the U.S and not landed on U.S soil do not have the same restrictions for FOM thats why guys like me and others can import tubes with over 1250 FOM.
    Always supprises the hell out of me how many guys buy NV from me in the $6000+ price range unseen. Though I do live in NZ and don`t sell anything I wouldn`t use myself. So they can track me down............................

Wikipedia (sooo reliable) says 1400 FOM for export

1600 is pretty high

I'm sure I read it somewhere though.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yeah the Newcon ones advertise a FOM of 1600, their spec sheet looks ok but I just don't trust anything non US geniii

I know where there is a brand new unused PVS14 with accessory kit and OMNI V tube but it's a bit old for me.

$6000NZ if anyone wants it.
    Gimp :: What exactly comes with this PVS-14?? Rhino mount / skull crusher/ rail mount/ scope attachment ???

Yeah the standard kit.

Re: Night Vision scope

How do you guys hunt with your night vision kits. I mean do you use NV headset and red dots, dedicated NV scopes or NV that attaches to your scope?

NV mono with helmet mount, and a QD weaponmount behind Aimpoint Micro T-1

Quote Originally Posted by FletchNZ View Post
    How do you guys hunt with your night vision kits. I mean do you use NV headset and red dots, dedicated NV scopes or NV that attaches to your scope?
    I have 3 set ups, 2 on suppressed 44 magnum rifles ( may as well be unheard as well as unseen). My main kit is 2 or 3 sets of PVS-7 NV Goggles ( depending on whos hunting) a Ruger 44 magnum Suppressed with a Gen2+ nightscope and a IR laser as backup for close hurried shots. My goggles have either the Skull crusher or helmet with attached IR torch that gives about 300 meter clear visibility on black nights and shows up deer and other animals eyes out to around 600mts. We usually hunt deer on no moon nights if we can help it.

Other set up is the goggles/ helmet and IR torch with IR laser and day scope on suppressed 44 magnum Rossi single shot. last is day scope on any other rifle with IR laser attached and PVS-7 with Skull crusher and IR torch, it`s the lite carry for miles rig.

With a bit of practice these rigs are deadly and fun if you have someone tag along who can see as well. That said its heaps funnier having some one along on a black night who can`t see shite and you get to see them flounder around !!

Not cheap set ups and mine have accumulated over a period of years.

Is Gen 1 gear usable with an IR illuminator to help? Or is the resolution just terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Is Gen 1 gear usable with an IR illuminator to help? Or is the resolution just terrible?
    Now days I would consider Gen1 Toys ( my kids even refused to use gen1 as toys). I started with Gen1 way back in the early 1990`s when it was all we could get. The tube life of these units is very short and with out alot of IR illumination they are basically usless.
    To get anything out of a Gen1 unit you are going to need a spotlight and IR filter to get about 100mts use. Some gen1 tubes have quite high resolution in the 50lp/mm range but light gain is poor.
    the fish eye effect of gen1 also takes a bit of getting used to. Many gen1 sets of Goggles have very limited field of view at around 17deg opposed to gen2 and 3 with 36-40deg being the normal range.
    You will find on sights like Trademe alot of Gen1 equipment with statments like used once or mounted to a rifle but never taken in the bush, owned 2 months selling as new........ there is a reason for that.
    Rule of thumb is if you can buy it over the counter without having to get export approval to import it it`s probably not going to do what you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I wouldn't take it if someone gave it to me. Worthless; useless.
    Spanners likes this.

Ejected
    Ok, thanks for all the replies. But all the numbers etc is like, well, blah blah blah. LOT's OF MONEY blah blah.
    Me arsehole did scrunchy moves when it seen the prices, maybe I should add to the sig, POOR broken arsed rabbiter with fuck all money.

Maybe I'll wait for the app for me mobile, unless someone wants to swap a kid or the cook........

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Ok, thanks for all the replies. But all the numbers etc is like, well, blah blah blah. LOT's OF MONEY blah blah.
    Me arsehole did scrunchy moves when it seen the prices, maybe I should add to the sig, POOR broken arsed rabbiter with fuck all money.

Maybe I'll wait for the app for me mobile, unless someone wants to swap a kid or the cook........
    Hi Wirehunt,
    After chatting with you about your requirements, You will need something of Military grade in the housing at least . I think if you go for something you may want to have a think about a Good set of Goggles and a IR laser on your suppressed .22.
    Getting thrashed on the Quad wouldn`t be an issue and you can drive the Quad with the goggles. Easy to add a IR light to your helmet for driving the bike and shooting.
    Have a mate in Wanaka commercial rabbit shooting with the same set up. He is getting more work because the light shy Bunnies don`t know hes there.
    ....................Yep not cheap!! but then it is for professional use so a tax write off and GST claimed back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Who's got what and how reliable?

Something that would be good out to say 100 metres give or take, but it must be reliable and robust.
    As you know, Steve is killing a shitload of rabbits every night with his Pulsar N750 Digisight. Add a 30hz Pulsar Quantum HD38, and you would have the best value pest control combo available. But now that you have experience in these systems, you know what I'm talking about.

I had a word with Christine, you are in line for the thermal demo equipment again after the Coastguard, DOC and MPI have finished with it. See you next time I'm down your way.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I've looked through a 750 side by side with my D760 and 14 before I sold them- both US Gen3 and I can tell you now you're on crack if you think they even come close.
    You're talking Corolla vs Porsche in both performance and price.
    You need a decent IR light to get even close to what I would consider average Gen2

IMO Gimp is 100% correct in his statements

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I've looked through a 750 side by side with my D760 and 14 before I sold them- both US Gen3 and I can tell you now you're on crack if you think they even come close.
    You're talking Corolla vs Porsche in both performance and price.
    You need a decent IR light to get even close to what I would consider average Gen2

IMO Gimp is 100% correct in his statements
    Yeh, but why would you compare performance alone between Gen3 and a Digital system that is 1/3 price or less.

Are you trying to say that all the guys shooting rabbits, pigs and deer with our Digisights around New Zealand are lying about what their results?

Even an average Gen2+ is twice the price of a Digisight. But if you were intelligent, you would be able to understand price v performance v usefulness in a product. I doubt you would shoot any more with a Gen3 that a Digisight. But you would know this if you actually did any NV hunting, instead of spending all your evenings on this forum.

The fact is, heaps of people use our stuff, and get great results. It's only the likes of you that resent this because you wish to remain the NV elite. The reality is, I am making night vision hunting accessible for more people, at an affordable price. Many of these guys are farmers who don't want to spend more than a couple of grand.

I don't say that Gen3 is shit compared to Thermal, because I am intelligent enough to know that everything has an application within its price bracket.

I am away for a few days, so I guess you will have a free reign with your B.S.