Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Obtaining a firearms licence after it was cancelled

Obtaining a firearms licence after it was cancelled

What is the vetting process if someone had their firearms licence taken from them by the courts and after 25 years have gone by and they want to reapply for there licence. And say the person has had a clean record in all those years. Would it depend on why they lost their FAL in the first instance. An other scenario guy in a gun club has a FAL and a long time ago had done time for drugs. How did said person get a FAL? Do the police allow someone to obtain a licence if they were once a naughty boy but have been good for a long time now. This isn't about me but about someone else and some information has just come to light?

I would think it would depend on the reason it was revoked, ie threading behaviour, assault, firearm offence maybe not
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Give your local firearms officer a call and talk about it with him(her). They are the ones that will/won't issue.

I have a record - its not for violence or drugs or alcohol (in a nutshell, too smart with a computer) and I was upfront with the AO as I was worried about it, but no issues
    Talk to the AO.
    Maca49 likes this.

R93
    I have a mate who had a firearms incident.
    Lost his licence and got it back 5 yrs later.
    It would depend on the initial reasons to revoke I would have thought. Also who can referee for the person applying.

I dispatched an animal struck by a vehicle on the side of a public road 10 yrs ago. In the middle of nowhere, at night.
    Someone took my rego( I know who😠 ) Lied about what I did or did not do.
    I was queried by police. He recanted his story after I told the truth and had a witness.
    No charge but I still got a warning letter. WTF
    Prick lies to cause trouble for nothing at all and nothing happens to him???

Because of some beurocratic scank who worked non sworn for police I needed to battle shitloads of red tape to get a licence that allowed me to do a job in Australia.
    Shit sticks even if unjustified.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Munsey, Toby, Maca49 and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    H'mm wonder if Statue of Limitation and the Clean Slate act applies
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Do you have any idea what the statute of limitation is or what is governs?

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    google it there's heaps of info
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I obviously wasn't very clear. I'm well aware of what it is and its implications. I was questioning if you understood it given the context you asked about it.

I wonder if the "pay fine before this date" date on the parking ticket I got a couple of years ago applies
    Proudkiwi likes this.

I think there was a court case in the last year or two where after 10 years of losing it initially the police still declined an applicant. Pretty sure it went to court and the Judge was pretty clear he should get a licence back. In fact I think the judge pretty much rodgered the Police over their attitude if I remember.

In the first instance I'd go talk to the local AO, if he still says no then I'd assume you need a lawyer which will cost a few bob, but you'd might well get it back.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I wonder if the "pay fine before this date" date on the parking ticket I got a couple of years ago applies
    ah...we have been looking for you, pop into the station with your own lube tomorrow.

love and kisses The Police.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    I think there was a court case in the last year or two where after 10 years of losing it initially the police still declined an applicant. Pretty sure it went to court and the Judge was pretty clear he should get a licence back. In fact I think the judge pretty much rodgered the Police over their attitude if I remember.

In the first instance I'd go talk to the local AO, if he still says no then I'd assume you need a lawyer which will cost a few bob, but you'd might well get it back.
    Cheers for the info, have passed the comments on and informed him to talk to a barrister( there is one who advertises in the nz guns and hunting mag)

I couldnt find the piece but I did find this,

http://www.firearmslawyer.co.nz/uplo..._of_police.pdf

Seems pretty clear...