Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ebf

Thread: Omark / Sportco Target action Q?

Omark / Sportco Target action Q?

I noticed that there are an abundance of these things coming up for sale and generally at very good prices.

My friend has a Omark 44 308 single shot that he shoots frequently and it is easily a 1/2 MOA shooter.

My question is could a competent gunsmith convert one of these actions to a repeater and use an aftermarket AICS style Magazine feeding system?

Seems like an affordable start point for a custom build.

Thanks,

F.

ebf
    best to speak to several gunsmiths and get estimates.

the aus army apparently looked at converting omarks to magfeed, but the cost was prohibitive

omarks do have some quirks :

primary extraction is not flash, so if you plan on using hot loads, you may end up running into some issues. there is a fix (weld a blob onto the bolt handle where it cams, and machine it down for correct clearance) but you will not be at the level of something like a barnard

the cross-pin on the floating bolt head is a weak point, to be allowed to shoot on NRA ranges in NZ that has to be beefed up to a larger diameter pin

re-barrelling is the major headache (lugs in the barrel). nielsen adapters solve this issue, but some gunsmiths do not like them as they feel it leaves the tang area too thin.

I suspect you would be better of blueprinting a remington action and sleeving it if you want additional rigidity. more options for stocks and accessories.
    shooternz and Keownr like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Like ebf said, I have a Omark 44 with all the mods Nielsen adaptor bolt head pin removed and wielded up Timney trigger the Omark takes Rem 700 triggers the original Omark can be modified to a three lever I had one makes them
    very good but probably cheaper to fit a Remington, It's fitted with a True-Flite 30" 1 in 13" PALMA .308 barrel I built prone stock for it, It is a 1/4" MOA rifle but it still not a Barnard I have one of those as well, if you want a long-range rifle on the cheap they are great, with the Nielsen adaptor changing barrels is easy any of the .308 case size calibres will work, in OZ there are 5.56/.223 conversion kits available the firing pin spring needs replacing Omarks are prone to light strikes mine has a 32 pound Wolf spring fitted hits like the hammer of Thor,
    You would probably weaken the receiver too much by cutting a magazine well into it, a single shot is not that much of a handicap it's all we had until 1859 when the Sharps .54 cal came out,
    Buy one and do the mods over time it won't seem as pricey with the cost spread out over a few months you will still have some thing to shoot while rebuilding it get one with scope bases upgrade the trigger
    and you're good to go.

Hey Shooter - which Woolf spring does the Omark take, mine needs a new one but I couldn't find a spec . . . Thanks

Thanks @shooternz and @ebf.

Sounds like a Rem or Tikka might be the way to go. Whats the Barnard SM like? Is it hard to get it to fit Rem 700 Stocks? I understand the recoil lug and front king screw is in a different place.

F.

Hi Tent Rem 700 SA they are a bit of struggle if you go heavy I would not like to try and take my 32LB one out a standard Rem factory spring should be fine.

northdude
    are those adaptors you talk about available in nz

The one I have was made by Mike Collings on TM as collingsmike not sure if he still makes them, I think MAB barrels in Aus has them they used to make new Omarks a few years ago look them up they probably have spare parts
    Omarks a still popular over there,