Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Toby
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By 199p

Thread: Potential new project

Potential new project

Hi guys, thinking of getting a Rem700 7mm mag for my all round hunting rifle and fitting it with a Mcmillan hunters edge stock. Does anyone have experience with this combo? Would the recoil be much greater than the factory setup and would there be a significant reduction in weight with that stock? Any help would be appreciated.
    Using Tapatalk

Hey mate a lot lighter and way nicer stock recoil
    Will be a bit more because of going lighter but you might
    Consider a brake or can?

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    Hey mate a lot lighter and way nicer stock recoil
    Will be a bit more because of going lighter but you might
    Consider a brake or can?
    Trying to keep it as lite as possible to be honest, and with a factory 26" barrel on the Rem700 it may be a bit bulky with can or break. I suppose I'll have to find out when I get it. Thanks for your input mate.
    Using Tapatalk

A brake wont be bulky at all!

It'd smash your ears without hearing protection though so if you plan on using it in the bush it probably isn't the best idea though dean maisey has this cool little brake you can turn on/off
    blaserR8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post

It'd smash your ears without hearing protection though so if you plan on using it in the bush it probably isn't the best idea though dean maisey has this cool little brake you can turn on/off
    Plus one on what Toby said those brakes are mean

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post

True, I've got a T2 on a 270 WSM and its amazing but personally I'd probably prefer a clean barrel. Just interested if It would be a significant increase when changing the stock. Will only be used for hunting, no range work really.
    Using Tapatalk

Increase in recoil that is.
    Using Tapatalk

I've had several 7mm RM's and felt (thats the important bit) recoil will vary depending on total weight of rig, type of stock and recoil pad and very much on you - its a personal thing. If you're a big fella you wont notice as much as a guy who's a lean as a rake. To me none of the 7mmRM's kicked to the point that they affected my ability to shoot 0.5 moa so long as long i did my bit right. All were very pleasant to shoot, even running 20 - 30+ shots on range for load development. If you're going for a 7mmRM for hunting then I would stay w 24 in bbl -especially if weight is one of your key considerations. One I built as project was using an old CDL rem, which I got rebarelled with 24 in XCRII bbl and threw on a B&C $300stock . Its just over 7lbs (w/out scope) and shoots 0.5 moa with factory ammo - no issues w recoil, but I put a suppressor on it for hunting & my ears. On the other hand I also have a 300wsm xbolt that's 6 3/4 lb - & that kicks ! And with out a suppressor or brake I cant get tight groups. So be careful about going too light !
    Jmar100 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I've had several 7mm RM's and felt (thats the important bit) recoil will vary depending on total weight of rig, type of stock and recoil pad and very much on you - its a personal thing. If you're a big fella you wont notice as much as a guy who's a lean as a rake. To me none of the 7mmRM's kicked to the point that they affected my ability to shoot 0.5 moa so long as long i did my bit right. All were very pleasant to shoot, even running 20 - 30+ shots on range for load development. If you're going for a 7mmRM for hunting then I would stay w 24 in bbl -especially if weight is one of your key considerations. One I built as project was using an old CDL rem, which I got rebarelled with 24 in XCRII bbl and threw on a B&C $300stock . Its just over 7lbs (w/out scope) and shoots 0.5 moa with factory ammo - no issues w recoil, but I put a suppressor on it for hunting & my ears. On the other hand I also have a 300wsm xbolt that's 6 3/4 lb - & that kicks ! And with out a suppressor or brake I cant get tight groups. So be careful about going too light !
    Thanks for the great advice mate!! Exactly what I was after. I think I'll go ahead and get the combo and chop it down to 24" and see how I go with that. If its hard to get tight groups from recoil I'll just have to get a can or brake. Cheers again.
    Using Tapatalk

Hay mate

I have one of kiwigregs 7-375ruger it has the t2 brake on it but to be honest i have put about 20 shots through it with out the brake and find its not a drama. ( harder to keep sight picture tho )

Its a lightweight set up with fluted bolt and barrel 25" shooting 162 amax at 3150fps

You should be fine with a remmag, can allways load it a little softer at sit the 162 at 2800fps
    Jmar100 likes this.

You didn't mention what scope you're planning on putting on it.

Reason being, and this is only my personal opinion, is that balance dictates how a rifle feels recoil wise than just weight. To a degree of course.

Also, don't bother with a 26 inch barrrel. Would add absolutley zero real world benefit. Scrafice the 2 irrelevant inches and install a brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    You didn't mention what scope you're planning on putting on it.

Reason being, and this is only my personal opinion, is that balance dictates how a rifle feels recoil wise than just weight. To a degree of course.

Also, don't bother with a 26 inch barrrel. Would add absolutley zero real world benefit. Scrafice the 2 irrelevant inches and install a brake.
    Sightron siii mate. I might just do as you suggest mate. Chur
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jmar100 View Post
    Sightron siii mate. I might just do as you suggest mate. Chur
    Oh and I have a McMillan carbon for sale to