Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Toby
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3

Thread: Problems with peep - time to restring?

Problems with peep - time to restring?

Hi guys wasn't exactly sure where To post this - mods feel free to move it if another section is better.

My bow lately when I draw back has been a bit out of whack. My peep is for some reason crooked and for the life of me I any figure out why or what to do. I've been using bows for about 12 months but have little knowledge about maintenance and repairs of them.
    Does anyone know should I restring it or is there another way to fix the peep. I think its affecting my accuracy a little - the first time definitely but I tried to tweak it a little and its slightly better but still not 100%

Any ideas from any archers?

Cheers,
    Jack

I dont even have a peep sight on my compound bow. I manage to get a 10'' group with 5 arrows at 15m. Probably shit buts its a goats shoulder which is why I got it. Yeah Im no help to this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

How many shots have you put through it?
    It can take several hundred before the string has finished stretching and settled in properly which will cause the peep to twist also.
    Ideally you need to press the bow and add or remove half a twist from the string at a time to get better alignment...make sure you fire several shots to see that it has settled to where you want it.
    The standard strings on most bows are pretty poor and a quality custom string will reduce twisting after initial stretching a lot.
    You can twist and tighten your D loop down so that it aligns your peep better in the mean time as a temporary fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2308 View Post
    How many shots have you put through it?
    It can take several hundred before the string has finished stretching and settled in properly which will cause the peep to twist also.
    Ideally you need to press the bow and add or remove half a twist from the string at a time to get better alignment...make sure you fire several shots to see that it has settled to where you want it.
    The standard strings on most bows are pretty poor and a quality custom string will reduce twisting after initial stretching a lot.
    You can twist and tighten your D loop down so that it aligns your peep better in the mean time as a temporary fix.
    Hundreds mate, it's definitely shot in. Yeh I don't have a bow press, or know anyone with so that has one so that makes it hard.
    I've twisted the d loop and that's what sorta made it better, just shocked me that it just happened one day out of the blue.
    I have a bear mauler and its just the factory strings so would you recommend getting new ones? What are the good brands and what sorta things do I need to look for?

Thanks Toby, I do my shooting out a bit further so for now I reckon I'd like to keep it

Take it to a bow person and let them sort it out?
    Wirehunt likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I've had the same problem myself and a bow press is the best way to get it aligned properly if its way out.
    If your going to press the bow and the string is old, worn or stretched then you might as well replace with a quality string and cable at the same time. This will also bring your bow back to proper specs!
    I've used VapourTrail strings and cables on my old Switchback XT and was very happy with them. Still on the factory string on my Z7 Magnum but will go VapourTrail again when it's time to replace. Haven't used any others.

I've had the same problem myself and a bow press is the best way to get it aligned properly if its way out.
    If your going to press the bow and the string is old, worn or stretched then you might as well replace with a quality string and cable at the same time. This will also bring your bow back to proper specs!
    I've used VapourTrail strings and cables on my old Switchback XT and was very happy with them. Still on the factory string on my Z7 Magnum but will go VapourTrail again when it's time to replace. Haven't used any others.
    Cheers for that mate,
    What are the mathews like? My bow idol (Tim Wells) uses them and you always hear a lot of good about them but I've just had no experience with them. I've heard the criticism that they're too loud in reviews and such?
    I'm wanting a new one end of this year early next year to upgrade from what I have and so far its a tie between Mathews HeliM and Bear Empire - not a fan of dual cams personally so I'd like to stay single cam.

What you reckon?

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    I have a mate running a Mathews, it shoots very well but it was pricey. I'm running a Mission "Venture", which is made by Mathews. Sort of like a Tikka is to a Sako. I'm very happy with it, only bought it for trips to your side of the Tasman since we can rock in to Oz with a bow no worries. Used it up far north QLD late June last year and had a blast with it. It has a few of those anti-vibe thing-ohs pressed into various places and I run a silencer/damper cock-like thing about 8" long out the front. The bow was $1200 but by the time I'd added a drop-away rest, G-5 sight, release aid, spare string, cock-like thing etc I'd spent about $2200 (NZ). The Mathews has like wood grips where mine just has rubbery ones, and the Mathews has more anti-vibe dampers so just cost saving differences really. With the Mission, I've split several arrows at 50m. If I shoot more than a half dozen into the bale, I am almost certain to hit a nock or split an arrow, they group very well.
    Last edited by ishoot10s; 14-02-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

I find the Z7 very quiet to shoot and when I used to shoot competitions in Oz, I didn't think it was any louder than any of the other top end bows.
    I tried a few different bows in the shops before I bought it but just liked how it shot and felt, so ended up with another Mathews. If you can get to a decent archery shop then play with all the bows you can and see which one fits and feels the best.
    What you fit to your bow will make a big difference too, replacing the whisker biscuit with a QAD drop away rest stopped me shooting at the same x with more than one arrow as it started getting expensive! ;-)

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    whisker biscuit
    Oh, yeah, the vagina-like thing! No way would I have one of them stuck on my bow... at least not while it had the cock-like thing on it as well...
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

+1 for using a bowpress to sort out the string/peep twist issues. Most decent bow shops should be able to help with tuning, some do it for free others charge.
    +1 for Mathews with a drop away rest, the whisper biscuit is a pos.

I'm in the same boat, my peep is out of whack. Rotating the d loop is what I have been doing but sounds like I might need a new string. Just got out of whataroa after a 5 day hunt... got within bow range of many chamois, usual story, take the rifle expecting shots to be far but could have used the bow haha. Got my first chamois tho. Write up to come on Monday
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.