Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Question: What’s the worst (hunting) rifle you've ever owned/used & why?

Any rifle will rust chronically if you allow it to sit with water on it with no oil - correct me if i'm wrong here. Are there ANY rifles on the market that can take a night covered in water after a days hunting?

None of the weapons I used in the infantry were immune to rust. In fact, each soldier was checked each morning (out in the boonies) and if his rifle had rust, he was punished. Loss of pay and restriction of privileges. I used to clean and re-oil 2 times a day if it was a wet day.

Agh T3 bashing. The freakin things can shoot a fly's balls off and yet crosseyed hunters still maintain its the rifle and not them. If you want MOA accuracy then buy one new, if you can honestly say you consistently do under 1" at 100y normally but cant with a T3 - return it for a test. But get ready to eat your hat if their guys can verify the rifle does shoot LOL. They testfire 5 rifles a week there from shitty shooters and only a few units a year are actually faulty.

As for sako's. Well i dunno - some say they love em, some say they used to be better. Accuracy wise I keep getting beaten by dudes using them but the T3 holds its own. I could swap rifles and still get beaten i'm sure.

Rifle i hated - i held a remington varmint / sythetic stock and the bolt felt like it had sand in it. Out of the box it isnt like a T3, but that's not to say they cant be worked on until they're wicked. Some dude told me his rem 700 does 1/4MOA...Anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    On-target has .308 ARs in stock.
    My savings account is showing out of stock
    Wirehunt, kimjon, Bill999 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Any rifle will rust chronically if you allow it to sit with water on it with no oil - correct me if i'm wrong here. Are there ANY rifles on the market that can take a night covered in water after a days hunting?

None of the weapons I used in the infantry were immune to rust. In fact, each soldier was checked each morning (out in the boonies) and if his rifle had rust, he was punished. Loss of pay and restriction of privileges. I used to clean and re-oil 2 times a day if it was a wet day.

Agh T3 bashing. The freakin things can shoot a fly's balls off and yet crosseyed hunters still maintain its the rifle and not them. If you want MOA accuracy then buy one new, if you can honestly say you consistently do under 1" at 100y normally but cant with a T3 - return it for a test. But get ready to eat your hat if their guys can verify the rifle does shoot LOL. They testfire 5 rifles a week there from shitty shooters and only a few units a year are actually faulty.

As for sako's. Well i dunno - some say they love em, some say they used to be better. Accuracy wise I keep getting beaten by dudes using them but the T3 holds its own. I could swap rifles and still get beaten i'm sure.

Rifle i hated - i held a remington varmint / sythetic stock and the bolt felt like it had sand in it. Out of the box it isnt like a T3, but that's not to say they cant be worked on until they're wicked. Some dude told me his rem 700 does 1/4MOA...Anything is possible.
    No rifle I own rusts as bad as that one did

Ejected
    Some are susceptible to rust for some reason. I expect it has something to do with the type of bluing used.

The one rifle i tried reblueing i used a cold blue paste in a tube.
    Came up beautiful and rusted the second you put it in the safe. None of my others did so must have been the type of blue.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Not a rifle I hate but....
    Had/have a couple of 6.5x55's. 1 is a CG the other is a husky. Always wanted a 308. When the opportunity came to buy a new rifle, I got a Sako 75 in 308
    Nothing wrong with it as I got what I wanted. Only now I wish I had got it in a 6.5x55

rebarrel it to 260 and sell me the 308 barrel for cheep. Ill put it on my 243 if I ever wear mine out

I've had 2 rifles I hated. One was a Sako Quad (kit) and the other was a Sako 85 Finlight in 7-08.

Despite what they are pitched as the Quad is NOT a modular system, is ugly as fuck and would rust even if there was a spot of rain showing on the long range forecast.

The 85 had a really sloppy action and was terribly inaccuracy. To be fair, the rifle was too small for me but that's my fault.

Remington CDL SF = the biggest hunk of dogshit in rifledom for so many reasons untill I forgot the pain and bought a Rem Ti

Remington: Throw away the barrel, stock, trigger, machine away every face or cut that the factory left on metal, replace the bolt body, weld the handle on properly and you MIGHT have a decent rifle??

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    I've had 2 rifles I hated. One was a Sako Quad (kit) and the other was a Sako 85 Finlight in 7-08.

Despite what they are pitched as the Quad is NOT a modular system, is ugly as fuck and would rust even if there was a spot of rain showing on the long range forecast.

The 85 had a really sloppy action and was terribly inaccuracy. To be fair, the rifle was too small for me but that's my fault.
    Are you meaning the clean cold barrel flyer and then where the dirty hot barrel then groups?
    Welcome to Sako club.

Intersted also, usually the only complaint with these is they are heavy.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Cold bore was WAY away from the rest of the group. Although 'group' is misleading cause the best we could get it to do was about 4 inches at a hundy.

Cold bore was WAY away from the rest of the group. Although 'group' is misleading cause the best we could get it to do was about 4 inches at a hundy.
    My 75 Finnlight, unless the cold bore is absolutely clean and free of oil has cold bore flyers. Then comes down to excellent groups.
    I flush it prior to use to prevent it occurring.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Haven't had one that I've regretted yet, but then again I haven't owned a Remington
    Wildman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    That sounds like it had something wrong with it.
    Yeah, that's my opinion as well. I couldn't be arsed mucking around with it though so sold it with a thorough description of the issues to a guy for a sharp price.

My 75 on the other hand was better in EVERY respect.