Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Quietest .22 Suppressor ?

My MAE .22WMR works quite well, still a crack on the supers but very good otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    The quietest suppressors are the ones with the greatest volume, incorporating an efficient gas-trapping system (eg. close fitting baffles with a recurve face). Volume is the key factor, baffle design is secondary. Claims for quiet designs without volume are bullshit. A suppressor works by slowing and cooling the muzzle gases with sufficient volume to allow the gases to expand and cool. Small, quiet suppressors are a product of Hollywood!
    Hi,

I am sorry to say that the above is not true.

There are many suppressors on the market which are at the same level of suppression or even quieter than larger, simpler suppressors, volume itself is not the key.

Effective baffle design and use of the space is more critical.

Dont just take my word for it, this has been proven many times over the recent decades in independent/unbiased tests around the world.

Also thinking of volume and size, usually the requirement from hunters and sport shooters is for smaller, lighter suppressors.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Sales and Marketing Manager
    Ase Utra sound suppressors
    Friwi, 6x47, Bol Tackshin and 2 others like this.

+1

MAE over barrel suppressor works wonders I think.
    Sika stag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    Hi,

I am sorry to say that the above is not true.

There are many suppressors on the market which are at the same level of suppression or even quieter than larger, simpler suppressors, volume itself is not the key.

Effective baffle design and use of the space is more critical.

Dont just take my word for it, this has been proven many times over the recent decades in independent/unbiased tests around the world.

Also thinking of volume and size, usually the requirement from hunters and sport shooters is for smaller, lighter suppressors.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Sales and Marketing Manager
    Ase Utra sound suppressors
    That's an excellent observation and very true, I have one of the Hussssh suppressors, the thing is tiny , weights nothing and is made of plastic. However for it's size it out performs suppressors many times it's size, the balance on the rifle is amazing ( like it's not there. Like Tuukka says, baffle design and use of the internal space are the big design features that influence performance. One area that doesn't seem to be talked about is materials used in the construction.
    Some materials resonate and vibrate much more than other materials. My little Husssh suppressor has done in excess of 3000 rds of 22lr and showing no signs of wear and never been cleaned.
    Sika stag and Bol Tackshin like this.

Cool

DPT. My .22 goes click. It's a 10/22 so if you believe folks it's lucky to hit anything
    It's got a few "special" bits and actually hits everything you point it at

Bit like that .223 you got from me
    BRADS likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Love my modular DPT one on the Marlin semi-auto .22 Works a treat every time.
    How many modules have you got on that. Standard or have you added some.

interesting that a "sales and marketing manager" will argue /disagree with a gunsmith of many years outstanding service,who will have fitted and used more different types than the other has had hot dinners..... I know whos word I would believe.
    one fitted them for a living..the other sells them for a living.....
    if buying a car would you listen to a mechanic or the salesman to see what is good and whats a dud???
    mudgripz and blip like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    .22LR subsonic. Does it matter? Maybe it does a little. I've had an el cheapo Hushpower and now an expensive Hardy over-barrel. In both cases, the firing pin striking the cartridge was louder than anything else.

AR7
    Its Good to see you boys playing nice while pissing into the wind comparing cough cough
    FSS,s little 22lr K baffles work great and have had many comments on how quiet they are
    and i do use the ASE line as well on the centerfire .
    My passion is about suppressors just ask Darren hahaa and the one we did on a very short barrel 303 [No Wood on it ]
    you Bubba lovers will hate it but it did work very well indeed sound and kick wise
    Cheers to you all
    Fssprecision likes this.

Ive got one of those screw on bottle adaptors. Even that is really quiet. Just looks weird thats all. Bigger the bottle the quieter it is so that must prove something about internal volume

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    interesting that a "sales and marketing manager" will argue /disagree with a gunsmith of many years outstanding service,who will have fitted and used more different types than the other has had hot dinners..... I know whos word I would believe.
    if buying a car would you listen to a mechanic or the salesman to see what is good and whats a dud???
    Pffft what would a mechanic know about cars

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    8 year old thread, bored?
    BRADS and MB like this.

was linked to another recent one....not bored at all.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Hi All, first I would say to qualify my comments I have been designing, developing and manufacturing special suppressors for many years including a very successful venture with my fully suppressed 410 and now a 20G.....they are very quiet with standard ammo and are small and light !!!

I have to say that whilst Tuukka might have the tile of "sales and marketing manager" ASE suppressor are extremely efficient and are in some cases full auto rated, that would simply shred other suppressors in seconds. I have peered into them and the baffle geometry is so complex that I still wonder how they make them, and NO I have no affiliation with them at all.

Now the fact is baffle design really is key to efficiency over size, yes volume is your friend but that is rather a blunt instrument in this situation, if you want something small and efficient it really is down to baffle design. If you are happy with a large volume can on the muzzle then good for you but many want something small and technologically superior. For example, the small k baffle suppressor I make for 22s is only 25 mm dia. so has suited many that want a can on a pistol but still see the sights. It is also still quiet when many get loud with a shorter barrel.

You could liken it to cars, many like a big agricultural V8, I on the other hand a have a Lotus Elise that has a small 4 cylinder 1.8 engine but the vehicle is engineered to be very light and handles like you wouldn't believe. Now I am not necessarily saying one is better than the other, just depends what you want.

As for those who talk about putting coke bottles on the muzzle rather than a well-designed unit, well if you are happy with that then good for you and you get a free drink ha ha

All the best

Darren
    Mistral and AR7 like this.