Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Rem700 replacement stock

Hi all. I would like to install a hunter style stock on my Rem700 SA. It has a HS precision varminter and is too heavy.
    I was thinking a High Tech would be good as the price is also good, but the stock requires a fair bit of finishing and has no checkering.
    Another option was the Wild Dog stocks. Has anyone had experience with these. Gimp? did you have something to do with these? The price again is good and across the ditch could be fastish.
    I really do like the Manners T and the McMillan Hunter but they are going to eat into my budget a bit more.
    Any other suggestions?
    Oh and PS it a lefty so that can limit some options

Just rang Wild Dog and they're out. No lefties

I've just ordered a HighTech the price is very good. They don't require too much work, a little bogging and sanding of the imperfections and some paint. I plan on adding texturing to the pistol grip and forend using epoxy, you could also use truck bed liner for some texture like Norway did to his if you don't want to do the epoxy texturing.

Does any1 know what an edge stock costs for a 700 ?

[QUOTE=kiwijames;9652]Just rang Wild Dog and they're out. No lefties[/QUOTE

Us lefties are often discriminated against!

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Rich007;9694]
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Just rang Wild Dog and they're out. No lefties[/QUOTE

Us lefties are often discriminated against!
    Cos they missed the cull at birth! (like the ginger ones)

I 'may' have a nice lightweight SA stock for sale soon - with a magic inbuilt bipod! - stay tuned for info

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post

Cos they missed the cull at birth! (like the ginger ones) Ohhh low blow

I 'may' have a nice lightweight SA stock for sale soon - with a magic inbuilt bipod! - stay tuned for info
    Spill. Tell me it's left hand and O for awesome

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Its O , but right handed - nothing a dremel cant fix

I'm a leftie. My Dad taught me to shoot right handed, but I can also shoot my 22 both ways. Had to learn that from driving and spotlighting - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Another option was the Wild Dog stocks. Has anyone had experience with these. Gimp? did you have something to do with these? The price again is good and across the ditch could be fastish.
    I have one sitting in my safe attached to the rifle of forum superstar "Gordy"

They're nice enough and quite light, the shape seems to have changed recently (for the better) as it's got a different palmswell/pistol grip to the older one

I think I'd rather go a McMillan though, given that it shouldn't be too much more expensive, you can get "EDGE" to lighten things up some more, there are a lot more styles to select from, and I prefer particular McMillan styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    I've just ordered a HighTech the price is very good. They don't require too much work, a little bogging and sanding of the imperfections and some paint. I plan on adding texturing to the pistol grip and forend using epoxy, you could also use truck bed liner for some texture like Norway did to his if you don't want to do the epoxy texturing.
    I fitted one I got off TM to my Mod 7 at the start of the year. The only problem I encountered was the floor plate inlet was not level so had to be put in the mill at work. Other than that, only bedding on top of the work described above and it was on the rifle for under 5 hundy. Good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post
    Does any1 know what an edge stock costs for a 700 ?

Around 1100ish from dead eye dicks, but they are worth every cent. The long wait time is worth the $300 premium over ordering direct for some people.

I would be interested in one of those MPI's, the hunters edge is a compromise between weight as stiffness, as in, weight was given not much attention, and it just happens by design to be pretty light.

Mine is 25.5 oz, (ADL, not BDL) or 1.5 oz lighter than a shitty sps plastic stock, but the stiffness is among the best I have ever shot with, bar an AICS at a gazillion pounds.

People highly recommend the hunters edge, ask Tuiman, he loves them too, even with a #69 contour!

Chris

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Around 1100ish from dead eye dicks, but they are worth every cent. The long wait time is worth the $300 premium over ordering direct for some people.

I would be interested in one of those MPI's, the hunters edge is a compromise between weight as stiffness, as in, weight was given not much attention, and it just happens by design to be pretty light.

Mine is 25.5 oz, (ADL, not BDL) or 1.5 oz lighter than a shitty sps plastic stock, but the stiffness is among the best I have ever shot with, bar an AICS at a gazillion pounds.

People highly recommend the hunters edge, ask Tuiman, he loves them too, even with a #69 contour!

Chris
    They are stiff for there class ie hunters stocks but still not that stiff but the a5 are way stiffer in that reguard

The hunters edge is just good light hunting stock for that light ish build depending on other parts

You can have good savings bring them in your self an bring a few in, even cheeper for no inlet as i have found out for adams rifle also, just the wait is the anoying bit, have a manners super light on the way with 80%carbon shell so be good to see how they compare