Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Remington 600 Restoration - Who else has one?

northdude
    man that came up nice way prefer an old school build
    C.T. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    well done !
    How does this model compare to the Mohawk 600 which had the same bolt handle and worpy plastic trigger guard but fat 18" barrel ?
    Cheers! According to Wikipedia, The Model 600 was produced from 1968-1971 in 8 different calibres and had the vented rib along the top of the barrel like a shotgun. The 600 Mohawk was a promotional model produced from 1972-1979 and only came in .222 .243 and .308. It didn't have the vent rib but still had open sights. The rarest 600 made was the .223 with only 227 being produced. I've seen good condition .223 600's selling for over US$5000 on gunbroker. The plastic trigger guard really does let the rifle down but the aluminium or steel replacement ones are easy to get and make a world of difference.

CT

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

That's a piece of art.
    Beautiful.
    C.T. likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Awesome... had same rifle in 243 for years as a youngster. Favourite centrefire ever and brilliant in the north island bush or on the range.

Sweet little unit.
    C.T. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Awesome... had same rifle in 243 for years as a youngster. Favourite centrefire ever and brilliant in the north island bush or on the range.

Sweet little unit.
    Wondered how long it would take you to find this @mudgripz.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Caretaker

Remington 600 Restoration - Who else has one?

Thats a lovely looking rifle C.T

They really did have a habit of bowing the nylon floorplate/trigger guard out, and If the rifle was assembled without the most careful of consideration the mag box would catch in the bottom of the receiver recess and put pressure on it.
    There was a guy in the states making alloy floorplates/trigger guards for them but I have never seen one.
    Remington also put out a recall on the triggers for a few years and most were fixed in that time.

I don't remember a short barrelled 788 but the Mohawk was and is a neat machine, I put a stainless barrel on my 308 and painted it black.
    I also added a HS Precision stock which added weight from memory and deleted the nylon bits.

They were the precursor to the model 7 which was always the next choice once a little coin was saved

Model 7 in 7mmsaum in the Kawekas (2002)

Then Remington moved on with the short action Titaniums

So it just goes to show the compact/light/pointy rifle is a sought after combo and fortunately there are still a few around

I know where there are two 308 and a 222 and I'm not sure they would ever come up for sale

Well done on the build C.T
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 06-04-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    C.T. likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Very nice.

What a beauty, Nicely restored your Dad will be proud. I had a Mowhawk in 222 many years ago and loved it wished I still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Thats a lovely looking rifle C.T

They really did have a habit of bowing the nylon floorplate/trigger guard out, and If the rifle was assembled without the most careful of consideration the mag box would catch in the bottom of the receiver recess and put pressure on it.
    There was a guy in the states making alloy floorplates/trigger guards for them but I have never seen one.
    Remington also put out a recall on the triggers for a few years and most were fixed in that time.

I don't remember a short barrelled 788 but the Mohawk was and is a neat machine, I put a stainless barrel on my 308 and painted it black.
    I also added a HS Precision stock which added weight from memory and deleted the nylon bits.

They were the precursor to the model 7 which was always the next choice once a little coin was saved

Model 7 in 7mmsaum in the Kawekas (2002)

Then Remington moved on with the short action Titaniums

So it just goes to show the compact/light/pointy rifle is a sought after combo and fortunately there are still a few around

I know where there are two 308 and a 222 and I'm not sure they would ever come up for sale

Well done on the build C.T
    Very cool rifles you have there! I've always wanted a Model 7 Stainless Synthetic. I like the older ones like yours with the plain stock I hate the added grip/pattern on the new ones. Remington have a bad habit of making "improvements" which I don't like but i'll still always love them.

CT

Love your work on the restoration job great effort. Also some other rippers posted here too. I made a start on mine but didnt get too far some people think i ruined it but its work horse for me. im a sako man but ive got a soft spot for these little mohaks. Mines up for sale if anyone knows anyone interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    northdude likes this.

No worse than the guys who put a hemi and some Ali mag wheels on a 60's American car.

MSL
    Got one in .222, nice little rifle

Banned
    Very nice,where did you get the stock from?

Have a Mohawk 600 in 308 that I restored a few years back. Also had split stock at the palm swell. Replaced stock, glass bedded and added alloy trigger guard. Original barrel is real tack driver. Don't really use it any more as have a 3006 as my main rifle now.