Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Which Rifle

To me the 7mm08 is like a 600cc roadbike. The older guys told me "Yeah its a real bike but trust me, in a year you'll be sick of it and be looking for something more powerful". To my disappointment they were right

Other notes: The arguments for later mods to the gun for LR work are the same (you could rebarrel with a tighter twist and shoot the latest vld hunting projectiles in both cals)
    Both are very common, both have heaps of rack ammo options.

I will say this, the NRA clubs all worship the 308 so if you're planning on joining them you'd want to look at that closely.

Got a few mates that have got there first real hunting rifle of there own and not there old mans rusty hand me down 303 or 6.5 Mauser, 7x57mm Bruno. So they have all gone for a five Tikka 308 and two 7mm-08 one a Tikka the other a Rem 700 and one has gone with a Tikka 223 as he was ex regular army. I also reload all there ammo for them.
    I got a text today from another mate he's in the process of getting a new Tikka 308 next week for his first rifle other than a Ruger 10/22.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    To me the 7mm08 is like a 600cc roadbike. The older guys told me "Yeah its a real bike but trust me, in a year you'll be sick of it and be looking for something more powerful". To my disappointment they were right

Other notes: The arguments for later mods to the gun for LR work are the same (you could rebarrel with a tighter twist and shoot the latest vld hunting projectiles in both cals)
    Both are very common, both have heaps of rack ammo options.

I will say this, the NRA clubs all worship the 308 so if you're planning on joining them you'd want to look at that closely.
    So you went to 6.5x55?