Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which rifle should I buy when I get home

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winchester Mod70 featherweight

10 20.00%
  • Ruger m77 Hawkeye

4 8.00%
  • Howa 1500

11 22.00%
  • Tikka T3

25 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Which rifle can you convince me to purchase

Ok I made the cock up of going to fish city the other day just to have a nosey at their range of rifles. I now have to choose between four different brands as they all fit me nicely and the scopes were right in front of the eye ball as soon as the rifles came to rest on my shoulder admittedly one was a Tikka (packaged with a bushnell elite LTD edition and warne rings) hell of a difference in weight compared to bare rifle and actually liked the weight once kitted out and I do not think I would mind buying a limbsaver pad to go with it. i Know what caliber I am going to go for and I am going to stay with the 7mm08, final decision will be made when I get back from australia (still waiting to fly over harvest start was delayed due to frosts by a couple of weeks)

In order of comfort when shouldering

Winchester mod 70 featherweight $1500 bare

Ruger M77 Hawkeye $1299 scoped with pentax gameseeker and new LC6 trigger system

Howa 1500 $999 scoped and threaded

Tikka T3 $1500 ex-demo kitted with warne rings, sling and Bushnell elite LTD edition
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I really like the feel/balance/ergonomics of my Ruger Hawkeye, I know Ruger don't have the same reputation for accuracy as some but mine groups sub-inch at 100m which is decent enough. Trigger was crisp but heavy as standard, got someone with more knowhow than me to lighten it up and now its really nice - not quite Savage accutrigger nice, but not too far off.

Haven't used the Howa but didn't like the floppy stock of one in the shop, have used the Weatherby version of the same action and didn't like it - heavy clunky thing.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Howa

You not going to go wrong with any of those, money no object i would probably go winchester.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Banned
    Winchester all the way.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I can sell you the Winchester, Scoped [ new Grandslam]on an Egw rail with leupold PWR rings, with ammo if you like, in lapua brass, for not much more than the price you quoted for the bare rifle.
    Fired less than 100rds.
    So long as you want a 308.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Howa

sako

HOWA bro mine shoots awesome

Caretaker

Which rifle can you convince me to purchase

Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    sako
    Yes, a 85ST Finnlight 7mm08

Used mine with Petree this morning to whack a nice little Sika stag @415 yrds - its easy when the accuracy is there, those Sakos just look so good on the arm
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    sako
    if I had the money to get one then I would got to keep it under 2K as I also need to buy a new wagon when I get back. Jake if that winchester was 7mm08 then I would.

Only benefit I am seeing in the tikka at this stage is the fact it is already on a long action so bugger all to get it reamed to 284 or 280 later down the track(unless i get one in 6.5) and yes the howa is still on my mind if my budget gets buggered up unexpectedly. First thing I want to do as soon as I get back is go and chill up the oamaru hut or boyd for a day or two after catching up on the time spent away from the missus.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    I'm almost certain you'd be dissapointed in the glass on at least two of the scoped bundles, possibly all three... You might be able to finnagle an upgrade to a Loopy 2-7 or 3-9 on the Tikka.

Ray.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    I'm almost certain you'd be dissapointed in the glass on at least two of the scoped bundles, possibly all three... You might be able to finnagle an upgrade to a Loopy 2-7 or 3-9 on the Tikka.

Ray.
    The pentax was not too bad and the elite LTD was very nice for me to look through but as for nikko sterling no way.if anything I would more than likely go with something like the redfield revenge with the new accurager reticle same lifetime leupold warranty on it pop up turrets and zero stop and the eye relief and clarity for me is perfect like the bushnell if anything the redfield was better than the pentax that was on the ruger in clarity. I have owned bushnells before so I do like them and have not had one disappoint me yet but I actually like the redfield more after having one on a mossberg 308 I got rid of .

Re: Which rifle can you convince me to purchase

The elite glass is better than the vx1 youd have to go to vx 2 to match it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2