Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Rifle stuffed???

Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    There's a replacement on tard me for $350 bucks I think, I'll give ya $50 bucks for the old one sight unseen. If youve got old rifles like this you need to learn how to shoot them!
    I have shit loads of probs shooting some of mine, but you need to to love em to shoot em, makes me appreciate shooting my Sako!
    Shame on you cuz Wayne hahahahahahahahaha
    Hi Maca, thanks for your generous offer. Why someone would want to out themselves is a bit odd but oh well. To be fair everything that Wayne has said is mostly true apart from the extractor being broken before coming in and the de capping tool was actually a primer seating tool (de capping tool has the pin bit at the end to push the primer out). I had had good dealings with the shop before and had actually got the sights mounted and the rifle checked by the gunsmith there as safe to fire before I fired it so when the cock up occurred I phoned ahead and after trying to clear it with a rod as per their suggestion they said just better bring it in to us. Phoned back and they managed to clear the round which was awesome but in doing so broke the extractor and drilled thru both the rear and then the side of the case and continued into the chamber. I'm no expert that's for sure which is why I took into into the "professionals" to start with but to me that seems like a pretty big stuff up, I mean if it was your cousin doing it for free after a couple of beers with his cordless drill I'd understand but it's not and that's why u take stuff to "the pros". When I suggested a phone call giving me a heads up on the impending damage to the rifle would have been good this was returned with an aggressive response. If it was my car and I backed into my own letterbox while intoxicated that wouldn't be a reason for the mechanic after taking on the job to pass judgement on my bad actions and use it as an excuse to do a poor job and not fixing any additional negligent damage without warning which is a legal requirement in the consumer guarantees act and then charging for the pleasure. Would recommend them for retail but never any gunsmith work and best of luck getting a fair and reasonable response if you ever have any problem. Over and out!

Mac was taking the piss really, but these are very old actions, I hammer some of my 577/450 rounds into the chamber of my martini! Where your problem occurred was it didn't fire, if it had of it would have formed to the chamber. My concern would be why it was so jammed it's a small cal case and should have knocked out. I size some of my cases using the chamber and an alloy rod down the barrel to knock em out, then machine the marks of and try again till they fit. Once fired they are fine. Even a loaded cartridge such as yours I would have dropped the breach block out and found a bigger hammer. You need a rod that fits inside the neck of the cartridge. Chance of a bang would be remote in my opinion and you can minimise the risk. Unless this is a mint example, I would clean it up and just keep using it. Chamber marks, unless really bad should affect anything, you could fill them with the likes of Belzonia? Replacement extractor will be avail. Wayne should be able to get one, I haven't seen Wayne for probably 55 years and only found out he was my mums brothers son last year. He treats me well with the little I buy from him, I always ask for my cuzzy discounts, if you have probs with the extractor I have some contacts here that maybe able to help.
    Mac likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    If it was my car and I backed into my own letterbox while intoxicated that wouldn't be a reason for the mechanic after taking on the job to pass judgement on my bad actions and use it as an excuse to do a poor job and not fixing any additional negligent damage without warning which is a legal requirement in the consumer guarantees act and then charging for the pleasure. Would recommend them for retail but never any gunsmith work and best of luck getting a fair and reasonable response if you ever have any problem.
    Mate, take a couple of deep breaths, think about what you are posting and consider how you are going to find a gunsmith in NZ (very small community, they all know each other) to touch one of your firearms ever again...

Why would they want to "out themselves" ? They have a right of reply, and also have a commercial reputation to protect... For the record, I've had several dealings with Wayne, every single time the customer service experience has been excellent. I thought the response was perfectly fair and reasonable.
    kiwishoota likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Have only dealt with them once, and started a thread about the service I got from them. Unsolicited prompts
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Name:  dirty-laundry-pile.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  89.2 KB
    veitnamcam and Mac like this.

Mac just been to the range in Taupo this morning, got a new 45/70, loaded some un sized brass and put it thru this martini auctioned rifle and yep I pin punched about 4 rounds home. Bang and the are formed to this chamber and extracted just fine, no ban gang it would be rod down the barrel. Where does the pin hi the primer? If it not centre you can adjust the anvils inside the action to modify the strike point.
    My 577/450 needed some surgery to stop the pin hitting low and missing the primer anvil. Hence bloody miss fires.
    If it needs this done you really need to find some one that has that knowledge. Look for a gunsmith that's in his 90s they've probably done it before!
    Mac likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Mac just been to the range in Taupo this morning, got a new 45/70, loaded some un sized brass and put it thru this martini auctioned rifle and yep I pin punched about 4 rounds home. Bang and the are formed to this chamber and extracted just fine, no ban gang it would be rod down the barrel. Where does the pin hi the primer? If it not centre you can adjust the anvils inside the action to modify the strike point.
    My 577/450 needed some surgery to stop the pin hitting low and missing the primer anvil. Hence bloody miss fires.
    If it needs this done you really need to find some one that has that knowledge. Look for a gunsmith that's in his 90s they've probably done it before!
    Haha! Thanks heaps for the info Maca, picking it up from a gunsmiths next week and he's given it a good once over, repaired it and test fired it so all looking good. Love the old rifles eh. Where's the best place to look at picking up one in 577/450?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Haha! Thanks heaps for the info Maca, picking it up from a gunsmiths next week and he's given it a good once over, repaired it and test fired it so all looking good. Love the old rifles eh. Where's the best place to look at picking up one in 577/450?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NZ antique and historical arms auction, there's one in Fielding next month, you'd have to join but google it, or I can get you a contact. Or one of their public gunshows like Tauranga next week I think. Or Ted Rogers arms auction in Wellington once again google it. I have carbines, not so keen on the longer rifles, but I don't shoot long range with them
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I never knew upper hutt gunshop had a qualified gunsmith. the only ones I know of in the hutt valley would be mitch or scott.

bit like when you take your car to the mechanics, ah can you replace this, 4 hours later ahh sorry you need to replace x y and z as well as original fix..

Used to take my Landrover to a garage up here for repair, if they couldn't figure it out, the bastards would take stuff from some else's car and put it in yours till the found the fault! I figured they'd use my Wagon the same way so stopped taking it there!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    I never knew upper hutt gunshop had a qualified gunsmith. the only ones I know of in the hutt valley would be mitch or scott.

bit like when you take your car to the mechanics, ah can you replace this, 4 hours later ahh sorry you need to replace x y and z as well as original fix..
    Qualified............who "qualifies" Gunsmiths in NZ?
    veitnamcam likes this.

There are qualified tradesmen in that trade,
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    Arthur Cleland in Hamilton is well qualified, walls of his workshop look like a doctors office.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    Maybe these guys http://gunsmithsociety.com .