Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rimfire scope on 30-30

Thanks for the input guys.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Killed a vx3 on a springer a few years back, was very annoyed
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    At least if genuine it would have been fully covered under warrenty

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Not always. If it considered outside what it was designed for then they have the right to say no. And big springers are VERY hard on scopes. There are very few that can handle the vibration. Springers can dish out more damage than 50BMG because it is a sustained vibration as well as the jolt. We had a Webly dominator we tried to scope up. After about 6 shots there were parts of the scope physically falling off and it was a very well made expensive scope. I wont name brands because from what we saw, no brand could handle that and be expected to last.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    As Timmay says its probably more of a parallax setting issue than anything else-and rimfire parallax settings would seem better on a 3030 than most centerfire settings
    With companies like Weaver and Leupold, the "rimfire" designation refers to the focal length and a "Rimfire" scope is set to around 50 yards mostly rather than a traditional "normal" centrefire scope which is usually closer to 100 or 120 yards. I used a rimfire scope on a 7.62x39 with a great deal of success. Ideal for a 30/30. Bear in mind a shit scope that wont handle recoil will likely be no better for rimfire anyway. Lifes gentle bumps will see to that so stick to a decent brand that you know and you will be fine. That weaver would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Air rifle scopes are normally made a lot stronger than rim fire scopes. Those springer air rifles produce a fair rattle.
    You are not wrong!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Not always. If it considered outside what it was designed for then they have the right to say no. And big springers are VERY hard on scopes. There are very few that can handle the vibration. Springers can dish out more damage than 50BMG because it is a sustained vibration as well as the jolt. We had a Webly dominator we tried to scope up. After about 6 shots there were parts of the scope physically falling off and it was a very well made expensive scope. I wont name brands because from what we saw, no brand could handle that and be expected to last.
    What air rifle scope would you reccomend?.
    I have a big springer still unscoped and unfired.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The Nikko Airkings are not too bad.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Hawke there is no other I have hawke's on all my air guns they are not to bad on price a 3-9 will be about 200 new maybe less the 6-24 with 30mm tube and all the bells and whistles is under 800 which is bloody good for a scope of that higher quality

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The Nikko Airkings are not too bad.
    Indded. They are built with the vibrations in mind, but even these did not handle the dominator. (1350 FPS springer by Webley)

Indded. They are built with the vibrations in mind, but even these did not handle the dominator. (1350 FPS springer by Webley)
    Sounds like the sort you just need to use open sights. Glad I went with a multi pump Sharp Innova clone (made under license).
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

In all honesty, we have not found a scope that can survive the vibrations of a big springer. I cannot say about the Hawkes as I have never tried one, but I can say that they need to be very robust and sturdy. What usually goes first is the internal mechanism for adjustment as the heavy vibrations are like giving the scope a beating. What we normally suggest, however, at the distances these are usually effective to, peep sights etc are often a better way to go. In most cases we see, where these are purchased for hunting / pest control it is mostly for one of two reasons: Close proximity to buildings and not safe to use a 22 in which case peep sights are very suitable or ; Owner cannot get a FA license.

Most of these big springers are beaten by a 22LR. A 22 is usually much cheaper, will be lighter and shorter, easier to carry, more accurate and more effective. But if you are in a situation where a 22 is not possible, (small lifestyle type block for example) then an air gun is of some use. But the really big springers tend to be too loud in these situations where there are neighbours in close proximity too.

In all honesty, we have not found a scope that can survive the vibrations of a big springer. I cannot say about the Hawkes as I have never tried one, but I can say that they need to be very robust and sturdy. What usually goes first is the internal mechanism for adjustment as the heavy vibrations are like giving the scope a beating. What we normally suggest, however, at the distances these are usually effective to, peep sights etc are often a better way to go. In most cases we see, where these are purchased for hunting / pest control it is mostly for one of two reasons: Close proximity to buildings and not safe to use a 22 in which case peep sights are very suitable or ; Owner cannot get a FA license.

Most of these big springers are beaten by a 22LR. A 22 is usually much cheaper, will be lighter and shorter, easier to carry, more accurate and more effective. But if you are in a situation where a 22 is not possible, (small lifestyle type block for example) then an air gun is of some use. But the really big springers tend to be too loud in these situations where there are neighbours in close proximity too.
    When the power gets up then better to go gas piston, multi pump or pcp to keep this a bit more manageable. Really impressed with the multi pump, it is slow for a follow up shot but it is so nice and quiet to shoot with basically no recoil.

Once you've written off two good scopes on a springer, a PCP will start to look attractive

Hawke scopes are good on springers.

Have a chat with Ron at Youngs Air Guns, he'll put you right. Or Ken at Magair.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Once you've written off two good scopes on a springer, a PCP will start to look attractive
    that's why I no longer own a springer pcps are the way to go but then you need a fal to own one which is the advantage of a springer
    there is a stupid law that says you don't need a fal for a pcp pistol which is wrong especially when I know of guys guys running 38cal ones at about the same grunt as a 38spl

You're preaching to the converted on PCPs Rambo.
    Levelled a maggie at 86yds yesterday- stone dead. A centrefire wouldn't have killed it any deader or more quickly.