Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger 204 - thoughts?

Ruger 204 - thoughts?

Afternoon all,

I'm thinking about selling my 17HMR and getting a 204, this 204 in fact CZ 527 .204 left hand | Trade Me

My .17 is CZ and I really like it but I've got a 22 for round the house and neighbors place and the 17 doesn't really reach out far enough anymore and I find myself getting the 243 out sometimes which is a bit unnecessary and pricey.

I'm open to other calibers but the 204 seems to be very good with a 39gr projectile from what i've read.

Dont think that the 204 is specially cheap either to buy or reload. If you must have speed then go for it but a 222 or 223 for all practical purposes will do the same thing cheaper and cover a wider range of game with the better range of projectiles. Just my oplnion mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Dont think that the 204 is specially cheap either to buy or reload. If you must have speed then go for it but a 222 or 223 for all practical purposes will do the same thing cheaper and cover a wider range of game with the better range of projectiles. Just my oplnion mind you.
    Or if you don't want Mr Wabbit spread over twenty square feet

Couldn't you just do a weaker load for your .243 and have the same performance?

Quote Originally Posted by MDub View Post
    Couldn't you just do a weaker load for your .243 and have the same performance?
    yea I'm thinking of working up a 50gr 243 round. it is another option

For bunnies etc the 204 is really hard to beat.

With 40 Grain Vmaxs at 3900 ish fps bunnies out to 5-600 yards are very possible.

Yes, it will get messy, but they are accurate enough to head shoot out to 2-300 yards if messy is a problem.

If you don't reload I would suggest a 223 instead

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    For bunnies etc the 204 is really hard to beat.

With 40 Grain Vmaxs at 3900 ish fps bunnies out to 5-600 yards are very possible.

Yes, it will get messy, but they are accurate enough to head shoot out to 2-300 yards if messy is a problem.

If you don't reload I would suggest a 223 instead
    Can you get the bits to build a .204 AR upper in this country?

northdude
    what ranges are you talking would a 22 hornet work they are pretty cheap to load for powder lasts forever

sneakywaza I got
    You already have a .243, load it with 58gn Vmax's, bunny and magpie gun out to any distance you want, a gun that is also suitable for much bigger stuff, the .204 aint worth the cost exercise when you have a suitable gun to start with!
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    You already have a .243, load it with 58gn Vmax's, bunny and magpie gun out to any distance you want, a gun that is also suitable for much bigger stuff, the .204 aint worth the cost exercise when you have a suitable gun to start with!
    Yea that is probably the most sensible option

It is only a good option if your general hunting 243 is accurate with that light bullet load.
    If you can t hit a $2 coin at 200 m with it ( and with any other caliber for that mater) then no point of spending to much time in barrel burning. The 204 can achieve exactly the same performances in term of flying ballistics and killing power on small varmint with nearly half the powder charge, and less noise and recoil.
    So that left hand cz is a good investment if it shoots accurately .can you reload for it?
    I believe in having a dedicated mid range pure varmint rifle. And that should be the most accurate gun you own because there ain't much of a target on magpie body or a rabbit head.
    As for bigger critters like goats and deer, you have a 243!
    Tombi likes this.

I'm in the process of getting into reloading, have acquired most of the gear needed to get started just need to get the time (work was the worst invention ever)

Follow up question, is 1 in 12" twist in a 22" barrel fast enough to stabilize a 39gr pill? I wouldn't have much interest in going heavier as @Friwi has said the 243 covers the heavier pills.

I have a Ruger in .204, shooting the 39gr Sierra's. 1 in 12. It's bloody great. Go for it.

totally agree on the dedicated varmint rifle Friwi . .. general purpose is about compromises

Thanks all, appreciate the input. Think I'll go for the varmint rifle, why not

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk