Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ruger American/Redfield or Howa lite package?

I've got a howa after looking at other models mentioned but got a wooden stock that is factory floated and bedded. A little heavier than the houge but no flex at all and no plastic in the rifle either
    cambo likes this.

Howa again, I've got two of them, a standard in 7mm rem mag and a lite in 223. Yes the stocks are flexible without bedding but they are still nicer than those Tupperware counterparts and have a nice butt pad, and if you are looking at the lite, the floating is big enough for you to use a bipod and still not touch the barrel.
    The scopes, yes aren't the finest but I just upgraded them when I had the money,

Again, I'm bias so you should check them all in hand,

That linked "weather warrior" is a fucking bargain. They are 12-1300 new here. Same as the trophy hunter but with a way better stock. That will be a very accurate and capable rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    That linked "weather warrior" is a fucking bargain. They are 12-1300 new here. Same as the trophy hunter but with a way better stock. That will be a very accurate and capable rifle
    the one i linked to?
    That is the new Ruger American All Weather, a cheaper version rifle. The weather warrior is the one that's been around for years? the american has only been around a year or so.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Only problem I have with the Howa, is the absolute rubbish Hogue stock. It has more flex in it than soggy spaghetti.
    The action etc is flawless and I really like the 3 position safety as well. It is far more smoother to use than both the Savage and the Marlin. Just the stock lets it down big time. It is a shame because the stock feels so nice to hold, even when wet.
    Do Howa use a 3-position safety now too? Is it on the tang like the Savage 3-posn or on the side? I've used an older Howa-actioned Weatherby which had an awkward clunky 2-pos safety that my thumb could barely reach. Sloppy clunky bolt too, didn't get on with it at all.

I looked at a Howa in the shop and could push the floppy hogue stock against the barrel with one finger - the surface may feel nicer/more upmarket than a basic synthetic version Savage etc but I'd rather the Savage for actually shooting (mine is a nice wooden one anyway, but aside from that). Then there is the accustock Weather Warrior, if you're flexing one of those you're doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    the one i linked to?
    That is the new Ruger American All Weather, a cheaper version rifle. The weather warrior is the one that's been around for years? the american has only been around a year or so.
    Think he was talking about the Savage Weather Warrior which Jakewire linked to. Which really is a bargain, I'm tempted to grab one myself.
    Nick-D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Think he was talking about the Savage Weather Warrior which Jakewire linked to. Which really is a bargain, I'm tempted to grab one myself.
    Probably was haha

Sent from my workbench

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Do Howa use a 3-position safety now too? Is it on the tang like the Savage 3-posn or on the side? I've used an older Howa-actioned Weatherby which had an awkward clunky 2-pos safety that my thumb could barely reach. Sloppy clunky bolt too, didn't get on with it at all.

I looked at a Howa in the shop and could push the floppy hogue stock against the barrel with one finger - the surface may feel nicer/more upmarket than a basic synthetic version Savage etc but I'd rather the Savage for actually shooting (mine is a nice wooden one anyway, but aside from that). Then there is the accustock Weather Warrior, if you're flexing one of those you're doing something wrong.
    Howa's safety is on the side very easy to reach with thumb. Very nice 3 position safety. Really like that function on it.
    bolt is very smooth and much nicer to use in comparison to the Savage Axis or Marlin X7 imo. But they are only entry level bang sticks.
    Stock is the only downside on the Howa.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Ah yes the Savage Axis doesn't have a good rep at all, I haven't used one but would probably agree on that point if I had!

I was talking about the Mod.10 based rifles which are a completely different action, stock, everything. I have a Mod.14 American Classic which has nice smooth action with 3 position tang safety, excellent trigger, shoots better than I do and pretty much no plastic on it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Of the two I'd take the Howa
    This could also be a consideration
    Savage ArmsSavage Arms Weather Warrior Series Rifles
    Thanks again guys. This savage is a bargain. I looked on the Savage Arms site and it has a MSRP of $911US!!! Will contact them on Monday.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by nicks_tricks View Post
    Thanks again guys. This savage is a bargain. I looked on the Savage Arms site and it has a MSRP of $911US!!! Will contact them on Monday.

Cheers
    Good man, buy it before I do

Quote Originally Posted by nicks_tricks View Post

Cheers
    Good luck. I tried to buy a vortex scope he had a mean deal on only to find out he didn't have any

Sent from my workbench

Here you go, problem solved. A Howa with a wooden stock
    JRW87, nicks_tricks and Skatieguy like this.