Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger American rimfire vs CZ

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Club shooters would be a very small minority compared to hunters though wouldn't they? So a smaller sample size. And the impression I have (which may well be wrong!) is that many of them would be traditionalists who will stick with the proven option they've always used instead of trying something new to find out how it goes.

In response to your second point, I would suggest that a completely different design of rifle could well produce a drastically different outcome even when made by the same company.
    Hi Ben,

I would not say club shooters are a "very small minority" compared to hunters. Certainly not for the Auckland area! But even if it is smaller, it does not undermine my proposition for 2 reasons. Firstly, it is the competing nature of clubs that helps one identify better gear. If you wanted to know whether car A or car B is a faster racing car, you would ask 3 race car drivers, not 300 commuting car drivers, wouldn't you? Secondly, while within a given area club shooters may be s small sample, if you look New Zealand wide the sample is not that small. I bet if you went to every silhouette clubs and every indoor 25 metre clubs, you will find a few hundred of CZ but hardly any RAR. I used to go to two 25 meter clubs, I have never seen anyone shooting RAR, but lots of CZs.

Could some CZ owners be transitional? Sure. But many are not, because their CZ shoots almost as good as Annie 4 times the price.

Even the Americans choose CZ over RAR for competition:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1xTsqUQNk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGeoVHTWZwQ

As to the same company different design point, I agree with you as a general proposition. However the 10/22 is inaccurate mostly because its barrel. I have a 10/22 which came with a factory stainless steel barrel, it produced factory standard grouping (meaning: sucky) even with a KIDD 2-stage trigger. I upgraded the barrel to a mid-level aftermarket job, whistle pig. Now I get like 1/2~2/3 inch at 50 with el cheapo CCI SV. The stamped action of 10/22 almost has no negative impact on accuracy. The RAR has a better action (by just being bolt action, at the least in theory) and better trigger, but I doubt Ruger now uses significantly advanced technology on its barrel.

As a ruger shooter 77/22 , and a CZ shooter, I would go CZ out of the box every time, I handle the American most days, and for quality would put the CZ above it.