Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308, any good?

Ruger Gunsite Scout .308, any good?

I may have just 'accidentally' bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in .308, has anyone on here got one? I'm curious to know if there are any loads you'd recommend, a 16" barrel seems quite short even for .308, so I'll trying to find a good powder/projectile combo, twist rate is 1/10 so I'll have a bit of room to play. It'll be for hunting, and plinking metal targets as far out as I can get, the price was so good I figured I just needed it =)
    Steve123 likes this.

I got one " Because". I haven't bothered scoping it as it's for bush use. It's pretty good over 100 on open sights and a handy size.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    It is intended to be a carry rifle with good stopping power to be used in fast shot applications at reasonably short range but being capable of a longer shot if necessary.
    It was never intended to be used for tops or across gully clearing hunting at more than medium range.

The rifle itself is a reasonably facsimile of the cooper scout and if used as per that design intent is ideal for the purpose.
    Steve123 likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I've wanted one of these for a while, because they look cool.
    I see Ruger now do them with Plastic stocks, as well as .223...
    Steve123 likes this.

I like mine. The steel mags are pretty shitty to load but the polymer ones are great. I tried mounting a long relief scope to the rail but the recoil was too much for the shitty aloy rings that came with the scope.
    Might try again with steel rings but not in a hurry

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

On the "to get" list. Mate has one and he drills fallow in the head to 400m with factory open sights so must be good.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    On the "to get" list. Mate has one and he drills fallow in the head to 400m with factory open sights so must be good.
    What ammo is he using?.
    I'm still experimenting with mine.

Shot a boar at the bail with ours in 44Mag. Different to my Rossi, but it was ok. I'd say they would be great in the bush for deer in nearly any calibre including the mighty 44M.
    Any fast burning powder and a soft point 165 and your in bizo.
    Dan M

Looks like Reloaders have picked up a few at a good price too: Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 caliber R/H Rifle | Trade Me

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    What ammo is he using?.
    I'm still experimenting with mine.

Barnaul 168 sp

Reckon you could also load this down with trail boss and heavy 300 cal projectiles for a pretty awesome sub-sonic bush rifle too.

Certainly have plenty of options with it as a starting point. Triggers were a bit creepy too but nothing a good bedding job and a diamond file wouldn't fix. Plenty of explanations on the net as to how to do it Tommy.
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Barnaul 168 sp
    I'm going to try some 165's as soon as the cows get moved. Did you get the barnaul through mail or a shop?

Dan
    I've got the 16" one, loves the Australian Outback 168 & 165 SMK/SGK loads, can normally get 5 of em touching @ 100, but any of the popular 150gn hunting loads (Remington, Federal, Winchester) have never performed in mine... It teaches you to hunt with earmuffs though, jesus christ.
    tommygun and Tommy like this.

Just got my dirty little hands on it, stainless synthetic, it points really well and I find it light and well-balanced, even with a scope. At first I thought about putting a muzzle forward can on it, but I think it'd make it too front heavy. I've got some Australian Outback SGK to try, we shall see.

I've got one with the 18" barrel, had it for a couple of years now. Great bush gun, mines not fussy with ammo, then again if it's within 2" at 100 who cares (the deer don't) it's a bush gun😜 I've got a leupold scout scope mounted on the forward rail. These scopes handle the recoil sweet as.
    Steve123 and rossi.45 like this.