Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve123

Thread: Ruger Mini 30 Gas block adjustment

Ruger Mini 30 Gas block adjustment

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd post up some work I'm 'playing with' on my Mini 30. The 30 and 14 are both semi-popular and tend to come and go on trade me. I bought mine a couple of years ago and ever since I've had the 7.62x39 dropping goats and keeping the freezer stocked with venison. After an unexpected shot off a boulder bounced the blast back into my already half deaf left ear I thought it was time to suppress it. So I sent it up to DPT and couldn't be happier with the result. I also added a recoil buffer to ease up on the internals. It has been shooting great but I want to start reloading for it. Problem is that it's now chucking brass even further than before with its "enthusiastic" gas porting.

So I have had a couple of new gas bushes turned up at a local precision engineering place. This US crowd seems to go down to a 0.06" minimum internal diameter. Stock is 0.085". Other forums suggest about 0.046" is the right balance for reliable cycling. The ones I made are 0.04" and 0.05". I figure with the additional pressure from the suppressor, it may still be reliable down at 0.04". Haven't shot it yet, but will post the results up for future reference. The new holes look smaller than I expected, so I wont be surprised if I need to go bigger...

Anyway, short of throwing an adjustable gas block on, others might wanna look at the quick fix (other than tapping in a tension pin etc!). Will let you know how it shoots.

Cheers, Feral.

Name:  20160209_192336.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  351.8 KB

Name:  20160209_185618.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  488.5 KB

Name:  20160209_185521.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  546.4 KB

Name:  20160203_212150.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  319.7 KB

What type of sling do you have on it?

5.11 Tactical VTAC 2 Point Padded Sling | Official 5.11 Site although in the above pic it is not set up properly. The sling attachments on the minis are exceptionally average, especially the front. for a proper combat shooting set up the swivels need to be really top mounted, or atleast side mounted on the butt. I've achieved this by looping the sling ends around the fore grip and around the butt, fed through the slings underneath.

Good sling, comfy and highly adjustable, but only if you use it the way it is supposed to be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGh-tZtKKA

I had an Allen quick adjust on it but the swivels? were too far apart and made the sling just a little short . Put the same sling on my scout and it's perfect, elbow drops into the front loop with good stabilisation.
    Need new sling for the 30

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Feral likes this.

Well, the 0.05" shot well but still ejected brass about 3-4 metres, which isn't bad to be fair. It certainly wasn't as chaotic as the stock 0.085" bush which threw brass into the ceiling at the range gallery. So to see how low she would go I dropped it down to 0.040" and she continued to cycle fine. I think this is about borderline with it as she is now dropping brass within 1-2m. As you will see in the attached videos some of the brass is popping straight out on to the bench. Great for brass recovery but I think reliability issues might sneak up with any carbon build up in the now very narrow gas port. No dents on the brass at all and reliably cycling every time, over about 40 rds.

https://youtu.be/8W5g-3hMS4c

https://youtu.be/tWfUnW6RZ7A