Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Ruger Ranch 300BLK

The shops gunsmith actually lives 5 minutes from the gunrange so went to see him on the way home, he said a run with a reamer would be best but he doesn't have one, failing that the dowel and sandpaper.
    will visit the shop tomorrow

Good point 7mmsaum, and based on the other symptoms of sticking bolt after fired etc... Always good to check headspacing on a new rifle and compare to ammunition to be fired specs.

The only reason I went down the road of the bur being some swath was what was written above in @specweapon s earlier observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    looking up the magwell I can clearly see a large burr or something in the chamber.
    I know the gunsmith never removed the barrel when it was shortened because he told me he just clamped the action in his lathe.

Hence I was going down the road of either swath or foreign matter from the barrel shortening and re-threading he did in the chamber catching on the exterior of shell and line being scored into the case as the bolt head turns to be locked. But definitely specweapon check your headspacing as well in case too!!

MSL
    Swarf

Ammo is all factory, hornady subs and Fiocchi fmj, to me it seems like swarf in the chamber but have tried with a brass rod to dislodge it and no success, I guess after a few firings it could have bonded onto the chamber and will need some more persuasion

Good point 7mmsaum, and based on the other symptoms of sticking bolt after fired etc... Always good to check headspacing on a new rifle and compare to ammunition to be fired specs.

The only reason I went down the road of the bur being some swath was what was written above in @specweapon s earlier observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    looking up the magwell I can clearly see a large burr or something in the chamber.
    I know the gunsmith never removed the barrel when it was shortened because he told me he just clamped the action in his lathe.

Hence I was going down the road of either (swarf) or foreign matter from the barrel shortening and re-threading he did in the chamber catching on the exterior of shell and line being scored into the case as the bolt head turns to be locked. But definitely specweapon check your headspacing as well in case too!!
    Last edited by Carpe Diem; 29-09-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    L

That looks for all the world like the start of case head seperation
    And explains why your bolt was hard to open
    Ehhh wouldn't be the best place for them to let go!
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

id possibly e keen to get one of these if anyone wants to sell?

So the guns on it's way to the Auckland distributors to fix, definitely some burr in the chamber, can see it clear as. They gonna sort it under warranty, with no hassle over the shortening, as I would have expected
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    id possibly e keen to get one of these if anyone wants to sell?
    Yeah, Nah eh...

I know these have been really hard to get your hands on but OMG its well worth the wait.... they just deliver!! and such fun!!! for $800 bucks !! I looked at also a 308 predator, but a bit longer. lighter barrel and loading them down with trail boss etc as a second choice... and there's value there in doing that... but the short 300 with a MAE suppressor Magic! they just point so well and group well over shortish distances up to a couple of hundy for me to say its my NI bush, go to rifle.

If you get one the lehigh max expansion rounds are fun to play with too. Has @kimjon still got that 300 whisper conversion for sale?? might be worth pinging him for something very similar. Happy to share load info BTW.

Another shipment due at the end of the month, my local shop has presold 5.

I want to play at 3d printing a magwell adaptor to fit ar mags
    Carpe Diem and stretch like this.

Got the Ruger back today, looking inside the receiver I can see that the barrel has been removed and machined off the rear, so assuming they set the barrel back and reamed the chamber, anyway it operates a lot smoother now, glad to see good customer support from the Ruger Distributors
    Tommy likes this.

Latest pics of the Ruger with double sonic suppressors on the end
    Name:  WP_20160702_18_51_13_Pro.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  396.6 KB
    Name:  WP_20160702_18_50_17_Pro.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  369.3 KB
    Last edited by specweapon; 02-07-2016 at 08:14 PM.

I keep seeing a price of $800 quoted, where is everyone buying them from for that much?

@specweapon have you tried a DPT?

I paid $700 but only because it was indent order, as soon as they arrived the price jumped because they all sold out.

I have a couple of DPT's, they have their place but prefer the Sonic (disclaimer,not professionally verified) because I find them quieter , but I won't start that debate here there's a whole other thread with that going on....

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    I keep seeing a price of $800 quoted, where is everyone buying them from for that much?

@specweapon have you tried a DPT?

Quote Originally Posted by logesearle View Post
    Still don't really see the point in the 300BLK as a calibre.. Other than for its subsonic performance? And that's about it?
    300 BLK was not designed as a sporting round