Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Saiga carbine mounting options

Calling all AK enthusiasts and anybody else who has knowledge about these fine firearms.

Just bought a saiga 7.62 in a hunting stock and am keen to get some magnification going. Can anybody recommend a mounting/rail option best suited to the new toy?

Thanks a lot comrades!

res
    The Midwest industry side mounts that fit the factory rail are the best I have used for magnified optics.
    And the ultimac gas tube is the best I have used for red dot scopes.

There is some junk side mounts out there, some that are OK as long as you never take them on and off.
    Using Tapatalk

I may have a couple genuine Saiga (Izhmash) inch ring mounts here somewhere. About $85 from memory. Brand new and genuine Izhmash not chinese knock offs. They are the ring type for inch tube and not the Belarus weaver / picatinny type though.

PM me if you want more detail. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    The Midwest industry side mounts that fit the factory rail are the best I have used for magnified optics.
    And the ultimac gas tube is the best I have used for red dot scopes.

There is some junk side mounts out there, some that are OK as long as you never take them on and off.
    Exactly, go Midwest first time and don't waste your time with others.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Cheers for the replys guys. I've seen this one on trademe:

AK-47 / AK-74 SCOPE MOUNT | Trade Me

Is it priced well, or am I better to get one directly from the states?

@timattalon will I require the Midwest mount for the rings? I could be keen on them. Will let you know.

Anybody know of any good gunsmiths who work on these?

Thanks again.

I got mine from Brownells direct for $110 USD.
    With the current exchange rate and postage making that approx $222 NZD delivered, its cheaper to import yourself, just will take 10 days to 2 weeks to clear NZ customs.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Thanks dogmatix will check it out now. Just curious can you make any recommendations on a scope?

The ones we have, if I can find them are like the one in the the first post on this site.

Izhmash AK side mount - Saiga .223 - forum.Saiga-12.com

Price is correct at $85, though there would be a little bit of freight. I just need to find one first....Oh the joys of storage.

Not sure what you mean by "midwest" mount. These slide directly onto the factory rail on the side of the Saiga actions.

Cheers

PM me you email if you like an I can send you some pictures if I find one soon.

res
    I would recommend importing yourself. There is to much fake Midwest stuff sold as real on trademe.

The factory saiga mount Timattalon is a good option if it works-I have three and one is useless from new due to pointing the scope so far in the wrong direction. The other potential issue with them is they give you very little fwd or back option with your scope to set eye relief. But if it's in spec and works with your chosen scope they are very solidly made and at the price offered would be unbeatable. They are a all in one unit-you don't need anything else.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    I would recommend importing yourself. There is to much fake Midwest stuff sold as real on trademe.

The factory saiga mount Timattalon is a good option if it works-I have three and one is useless from new due to pointing the scope so far in the wrong direction. The other potential issue with them is they give you very little fwd or back option with your scope to set eye relief. But if it's in spec and works with your chosen scope they are very solidly made and at the price offered would be unbeatable. They are a all in one unit-you don't need anything else.
    I'd would agree with the forward / back comment, and yes with them being all in one with rings they are a bit lighter than the piccatinny and ring type. Have not come across any that did not line up yet but all the ones we have sold so far have gone with the rifles they came in with. The few I have were where someone swapped the mount out for an extra magazine which is how we ended up with spares. I think there may actually only be one but I am yet to locate it. It may well be for the M100 version which is a bit lower and angled forwards more.