Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Sako 85 in 6.5x55 - should I?

  1. #16
    Gold member Pointer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,778
    When you compare your beretta 85 to the beretta t3, and see the same results of cost cutting in their manufacture from the very same factory, you have to ask, why did I pay three times as much? The answer is, to say you did.

    That's my Tuesday morning stir done, have a good day ladies and gents
    Sako85 likes this.

  2. #17
    Member 300_BLK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Central North Island
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by nak View Post
    I'm a after a 6.5 cal at the moment. It's a toss up between 6.5x47L and 6.5x55, I think it'll depend on what rifles come up.

    I've found a swede in an 85 Finnlight, the only sako I've ever owned is an old L579 .308, it's a great little rifle.

    The new 85's look pretty nice and they do come with a great reputation but I've heard there's been some issues with quality control and in some cartridges in particular the ejected case gets spat right out into the wind age turret on the scope, often ending up landing backwards in the action.

    Has anyone owned a 85 in 6.5x55 -positive or negative experiences?
    Fantastic cal in a great rifle.

    You won't regret it!

    Handloading is the way to go with the swede IMO. Norma and Hornady Superformance are worth a shot though.

    Talk to @gimp as he has tried them all.
    Warm Barrels!

  3. #18
    Member buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    taihape
    Posts
    1,214
    do it sakos are mean I've had one or two

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    gadgetman, Dreamer, kokako and 2 others like this.

  4. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    59
    Good choice of caliber, but I personally would never buy another Sako 85 again.
    I think they are over priced and for what they are and the 2 I have had extemely poor ejection function, one in particular was a 270
    After going back and forth to a number gunsmiths and back to Beretta twice who didnt want to acknowledge the fault and said it was a scope mounting issue.
    I in the end took it back to the place It was purchased without a scope on it with a hand full of empty cases and asked the store owner to cycle them after doing so he said OH I see what you mean and it was replaced immediately with another 85 only to have similar issues.
    I have now gone with Tikkas and saved a whole lot of money. They are lighter and from my experience eject as they should and are accurate if not more accurate than the overated 85.
    Pointer, Timmay, trooper90 and 1 others like this.

  5. #20
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    do it sakos are mean I've had one or two

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    You must have trouble counting buzzman
    buzzman likes this.

  6. #21
    nak
    nak is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sako85 View Post
    Good choice of caliber, but I personally would never buy another Sako 85 again.
    I think they are over priced and for what they are and the 2 I have had extemely poor ejection function, one in particular was a 270
    After going back and forth to a number gunsmiths and back to Beretta twice who didnt want to acknowledge the fault and said it was a scope mounting issue.
    I in the end took it back to the place It was purchased without a scope on it with a hand full of empty cases and asked the store owner to cycle them after doing so he said OH I see what you mean and it was replaced immediately with another 85 only to have similar issues.
    I have now gone with Tikkas and saved a whole lot of money. They are lighter and from my experience eject as they should and are accurate if not more accurate than the overated 85.
    See thats it, for every example of someone having a good 85 it's too easy to find another that's had ejection, feeding or accuracy issues. So, I've decided to pass up that finnlight as it would have meant buying it unseen and instead get my old L579 re-barreled in 6.5x47L
    Pointer, Sako85 and norsk like this.

  7. #22
    Member BRADS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    7,549
    Quote Originally Posted by nak View Post
    See thats it, for every example of someone having a good 85 it's too easy to find another that's had ejection, feeding or accuracy issues. So, I've decided to pass up that finnlight as it would have meant buying it unseen and instead get my old L579 re-barreled in 6.5x47L
    I've had more than few sakos mate.
    Never had ANY of the issues you mention.


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  8. #23
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by nak View Post
    See thats it, for every example of someone having a good 85 it's too easy to find another that's had ejection, feeding or accuracy issues. So, I've decided to pass up that finnlight as it would have meant buying it unseen and instead get my old L579 re-barreled in 6.5x47L
    Any reason to go for 6.5x47L.
    I know it's noted for great accuracy, but 260, 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor all are more common so easier to get brass or factory ammo.
    All three offer better ballistics due to being able to push a 140gr bullet faster.

    6.5x55 offers the most case capacity and there is lots of factory ammo available, and some good quality ammo at really good prices.

  9. #24
    nak
    nak is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I've had more than few sakos mate.
    Never had ANY of the issues you mention.


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    yeah I know there are those that have had no problems at all, I've got a couple of mates who are very happy with there's, but there are plenty of internet forums littered with those who have had issues with 85's. Maybe I read too many forums.....

  10. #25
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    17,984
    Quote Originally Posted by nak View Post
    yeah I know there are those that have had no problems at all, I've got a couple of mates who are very happy with there's, but there are plenty of internet forums littered with those who have had issues with 85's. Maybe I read too many forums.....
    Id take my mates advice over forum strangers all day long
    Werawhakaui?

    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  11. #26
    nak
    nak is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Any reason to go for 6.5x47L.
    I know it's noted for great accuracy, but 260, 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor all are more common so easier to get brass or factory ammo.
    All three offer better ballistics due to being able to push a 140gr bullet faster.

    6.5x55 offers the most case capacity and there is lots of factory ammo available, and some good quality ammo at really good prices.
    Not sure, I've always been intrigued by the round, thought I'd give it a try. I like short actions as well, and from what I've read the .260 would struggle to use it's full case capacity with longer bullets in a short action. Ballistics between .260 and 6.4x47L look pretty similar to me.

    I reload so factory ammo is not much of a concern and with Lapua brass reloads should last for a quite a few firings.

  12. #27
    nak
    nak is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Id take my mates advice over forum strangers all day long
    Yep, agree. They're both is short actions though (.308) and the ejection issues seem to be related to longer actions.

  13. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invervegas
    Posts
    540
    Hello Nak

    For what it worth I've had two 6.5 Creedmoors, two (at least) 6.5x55's over 30 years or so and I still run a 6.5x47 although mine is unusual as it built on a 1921 Mauser Kurz action, so I load fairly conservatively for it (125's at 2700). Having shot them all quite a bit on both targets and game, ballisticaly they are all very very close.

    I wish my 6.5x47 was a creedmoor, it isn't because when I built it the creedmoor wasn't available. The 6.5x47 has (for me) been a pain to reload for with two different dies giving me donuts (and before anyone brings it up, yes it is die related not the rifle chamber, I know this because I tried brass fired in another rifle). The creedmoor seems to feed better, it has a standard .473 base (whereas the 6.5x47 is a bit bigger), and lapua are now offering brass for creedmoor, and there are some very good factory ammo offerings for the creedmoor. If it wasn't for the fact that my Kurz has the front scope base mounted on the barrel, which makes setting the barrel back a involved exercise I'd set it back and rechamber to creedmoor in a heartbeat.

    Either will be very nice in your Sako, you'll have room in the mag box to really play with seating depth (more-so than the 260), and they should both feed, although it always pays to try before you commit - occasionally there is a very expensive oops with feeding.

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    487
    First, check out reloading data for the 6.5x55 SKAN which is designed to be compatible with 6.5x55 SE but uses higher pressures for modern actions. Marginally higher velocity.
    6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser/ SKAN - Rifle reloading - Reloading Data - Vihtavuori

    Sorry to hear you've made a quick decision about the Sako 85. True, it is only 50% better overall than the T3 and costs 150% more. Not a problem for some but of course you might quite reasonably like to own two rifles or spend more on a scope ...

    There are plenty of threads explaining those several small superior features of the Sako but lets look at the availability in 5 action lengths.
    As @gimp pointed out, many shooters like to reload long projectiles, whether heavy for caliber or made of copper, and they can't fit into the traditional action lengths. I've found that with my 7mm08 in the Sako 85 Short sized action. I had to load about .070" short of the lands and who knows how far now its worn by 2500 rounds. I had discounted the 6.5x55 because you need a .3006 length action but now I wonder if it might be a good idea.

    Here's a table of cartridge / Sako Action / brass length / Cartridge overall length (Nosler Reloading Guide 6 Ed) :

    260 Rem / S / 2.036" / 2.800"
    6.5x55 SE / L / 2.165 / 3.150
    3006 Spr / L / 2.494 / 3.340
    9.3x62 M / L / 2.441 / 3.290

    As you can see, the maximum COAL in the L action range is 0.490 longer than in the S action range so you are carrying an extra half inch of receiver, bolt and magazine action plus every cartridge you take.

    However, the 6.5x55 SE is the shortest of the cartridges in the L action, which should give the option of loading longer bullets, farther out, in front of more powder. Brian Litz states that longer magazine and action lengths are a "significant advancement" in long range hit probability (Modern Advancements Vol 1). This will also translate into a small flat shooting advantage at typical hunting ranges. The 6.5x55 has 0.190" more clearance in the magazine than the .3006. The brass is also 0.329" shorter than the .3006 so ejection could be easier.
    Last edited by Bagheera; 04-07-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    gadgetman and 10-Ring like this.

  15. #30
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by nak View Post
    Not sure, I've always been intrigued by the round, thought I'd give it a try. I like short actions as well, and from what I've read the .260 would struggle to use it's full case capacity with longer bullets in a short action. Ballistics between .260 and 6.4x47L look pretty similar to me.

    I reload so factory ammo is not much of a concern and with Lapua brass reloads should last for a quite a few firings.
    Lapua brass is available for all 4 6.5s mentioned, so thats a good thing.
    The Lapua brass for the the 6.5x47 seems to be more expensive than the Lapua brass for the 6.5x55 and 260. No idea why, maybe the produce less of it??

    You are correct the .260 may be limited by mag length, but Sako magazines seem to be ok.
    The Creedmoor will fit easily enough, and both the 260 and the Creedmoor are usally 150fps better off for the same projectile than the 6.5x47L, and most loads tend to be for the 123gr or 130gr bullets rather than the 140 grainers.

    Nothing at all wrong with the round, and if it intrigues you go for it!
    Just throwing my 2 cents in.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Sako 85 Bavarian 6.5x55
    By Ryan_Songhurst in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-05-2016, 11:15 AM
  2. FS: Sako 75 6.5x55
    By buzzman in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2016, 06:52 AM
  3. sako 75 6.5x55
    By buzzman in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-05-2013, 06:45 PM
  4. 6.5x55 to 6.5x06 sako
    By buzzman in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 22-04-2013, 04:34 PM
  5. sako finnlight 75 6.5x55
    By buzzman in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-04-2012, 05:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!