Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Sako 85 Cheek Piece

The synthetic 85 I just purchased has got a removable cheek piece. Why is it? Can you purchase different heights to change cheek weld?

how did you remove it? I have pulled on mine in every which way and cant figure out if it comes off or not

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    The synthetic 85 I just purchased has got a removable cheek piece. Why is it? Can you purchase different heights to change cheek weld?
    was it the one on trade me that had holes drilled in stock

Haven't! Mine moves a little bit. I see you can buy them on the net but have only found replacement height ones. Maybe the butt pad has to come off for removal?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    was it the one on trade me that had holes drilled in stock
    No. Check out the "Trademe good deals" in Buy, Sell, Swap. I posted it yesterday

MSL
    Pretty sure it has a couple of dowel plugs that fit into holes in the stock

You undo the butt pad screws with a phillips driver. Push the top screw in firmly with the screwdriver and it allows an overlapping lug to free up a small hook that holds the removable cheekpiece down.

If youve found raised replacements for sale id be interested. . Ive made up a couple of rough and ready raised cheekpieces for mine at times. Search this forum for winter rifle maintenance stock and you ll see a pic. Ive posted a couple of other descriptions of it but cant give you the link just now from my phone.

@Babheera I found your thread by doing a google search. That was a good solution you came up with and I suppose potentially one Sako may have been going to do eventually!?
    I haven't found one on the net yet.

I asked Beretta at the time but they said no there wasn't a raised cheekpiece part so as far as I can tell Sako never made one and have since abandoned the detachable concept. It leaks water anyway. It would be quite good if they made a stock with a modest monte carlo like rise say to the level of the bore anyway. Once you get higher the shooter's face shape becomes critical. Several people can't get their head in across enough to see through the scope on my gun now. A small range of cheekpieces would be useful, say in 3 different heights and two or 3 widths. Possibly a niche product for someone with carbon fibre technology @stug .

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ko-85-a-21713/

@Bagheera exactly, and had thought the same @stug

Looks interesting, if I ever catch up on orders I might look at it.